New Blackout License Plates

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
"The black background, white text Dordt license plates are mostly used by people who support Dordt College. But word on social media is that due to the plate’s minimalist design, some Iowans are also buying the Dordt plates, then buying a black frame to cover up the reference to the Christian college in northwest Iowa, giving a sleek look to their vehicle."

It's a real thing.

I've talked to county treasurer employees who have related stories of people buying collegiate specialty plates not because they're a fan of a particular school, but because that school's colors match their vehicle. Such as, "My car is blue, so I'll get a Saint Ambrose or Luther plate. Those plates are blue, too."

college plates.png

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Which old plates? The solid blues with white embossed letters/numbers? Me too.

The most recent generation of plates wasn't too bad. I just wish they were all still being embossed, but that costs a lot more for the prisons to make.

Both...any. I wish they would have just went solid blue with white lettering over the multi-colored neon disaster they put out with an overgrown lawn.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Hands down the greatest plate in the Midwest, made possible by the most intelligent man in Nebraska, Ernie Chambers, also has the highest cost. Unfortunately you have to be a Nebraska resident. :(

MtLionLicensePlate_4831.jpg

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Hands down the greatest plate in the Midwest, made possible by the most intelligent man in Nebraska, Ernie Chambers, also has the highest cost. Unfortunately you have to be a Nebraska resident. :(

MtLionLicensePlate_4831.jpg

But...but...the cops?! How are they ever going to see the numbers with any sort of color behind them?!

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
It's a real thing.

I've talked to county treasurer employees who have related stories of people buying collegiate specialty plates not because they're a fan of a particular school, but because that school's colors match their vehicle. Such as, "My car is blue, so I'll get a Saint Ambrose or Luther plate. Those plates are blue, too."

\

Yep, my uncle is one of those people that gets random College plates to match the color of his cars.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I like them. Florida has all kinds, I might flip an extra 30 bucks for one this next go round.