Medical advice about my foot

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I recently got some orthotic insoles made because I walk sometimes 16 hours of the day on a concrete slab, and I was pronating from my naturally neutral step. I was noticing a pain in my arch which I had always thought was plantar fascia related, but the guy who made the insoles for me checked where I was having my pain and we thought maybe it was instead a bone spur on the arch which is rubbing on the lower big toe tendon as it passes under my arch. It's pretty painful so I bought these compression sleeves with gel pads meant to help with plantar fascia pain because I wasn't able to put pressure on it yesterday. They worked like a charm the first day without much pain at home after getting off. After this second day however I have strange sensation like I get when my foot falls asleep right where that gel pad was riding under my arch. It's discolored as well, more of a red, but not what I would call a bruise color, at least not yet. Any idea what the heck is going on?

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I recently got some orthotic insoles made because I walk sometimes 16 hours of the day on a concrete slab, and I was pronating from my naturally neutral step. I was noticing a pain in my arch which I had always thought was plantar fascia related, but the guy who made the insoles for me checked where I was having my pain and we thought maybe it was instead a bone spur on the arch which is rubbing on the lower big toe tendon as it passes under my arch. It's pretty painful so I bought these compression sleeves with gel pads meant to help with plantar fascia pain because I wasn't able to put pressure on it yesterday. They worked like a charm the first day without much pain at home after getting off. After this second day however I have strange sensation like I get when my foot falls asleep right where that gel pad was riding under my arch. It's discolored as well, more of a red, but not what I would call a bruise color, at least not yet. Any idea what the heck is going on?

No, but am not a podiatrist.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
You're probably just getting old. Don't worry though, something worse will probably come along and make your foot not seem so bad. I speak from personal experience.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Is the pain all day long, periodically, or just at the end of a long day?

Do you notice it more during walking or standing?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Honestly, is the foot warm to the touch? Could be a light case of cellulitis. Definitely best to get checked out.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA

Also not a doctor, but have had foot problems in the past, including plantar fasciitis. I worked on my feet all day, too. I had custom insoles designed by a podiatrist, and it really didn't help, so I suffered until it got better, about a year and a half.

As for your pronation, New Balance makes at least one model of walking shoe, (if that's something you could wear at work), that has what they call a roll bar, that stops or at least minimizes the pronation. I don't have pain anymore, but I've been wearing them for the last 15-20 years because they last much longer than normal canvas shoes and I haven't had any problems with pain in a long time.

Have you considered trying the Good Feet store? Some people swear by them, but be careful, it is expensive, and they're salespeople, not doctors.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Also not a doctor, but have had foot problems in the past, including plantar fasciitis. I worked on my feet all day, too. I had custom insoles designed by a podiatrist, and it really didn't help, so I suffered until it got better, about a year and a half.

As for your pronation, New Balance makes at least one model of walking shoe, (if that's something you could wear at work), that has what they call a roll bar, that stops or at least minimizes the pronation. I don't have pain anymore, but I've been wearing them for the last 15-20 years because they last much longer than normal canvas shoes and I haven't had any problems with pain in a long time.

Have you considered trying the Good Feet store? Some people swear by them, but be careful, it is expensive, and they're salespeople, not doctors.
The guy who made the insoles makes them for the Buccaneers and the Dolphins, other pro teams down here. They fixed the problem, and I do have the new balance shoes with double rails. I think this bone spur must have been rubbing on something besides my tendon and possibly ruptured a blood vessel, or put a nerve to sleep. Cause I only have needles for feeling there at this point.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Honestly, is the foot warm to the touch? Could be a light case of cellulitis. Definitely best to get checked out.
No it's only slightly discolored and its like the nerve is dead for feeling. Not hot or even that swollen.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
You're probably just getting old. Don't worry though, something worse will probably come along and make your foot not seem so bad. I speak from personal experience.
I'm only 35 this coming month. I don't want to get old!!!

• Optimistic
Reactions: arobb