JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
tenor.gif

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They were talking about this story on Sat. radio last week, sounds like Brown was ready to leave, but did not want Saban as his replacement. No one wants the guy that follows you to be more successful than you were. I suspect Brown was fine that Strong went down in flames after he left.
They also said that Saban did not like to stay in one place too long, move there, turn them into a winner and then on to the next challenge. They also said that he would have taken the job in 2012, but once word got out, it pissed him off, Brown refused to leave in 2012, and he would not even return their call after Brown did step down after the 2013 season. Texas tried to get Saban to come before he signed the extension.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Honestly I'd rather have Saban at Texas. A strong Texas is a strong B12. Having them be weak the last few years has been fun for us, but miserable for the perception of the conference.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Honestly I'd rather have Saban at Texas. A strong Texas is a strong B12. Having them be weak the last few years has been fun for us, but miserable for the perception of the conference.

It’s not a coincidence that Texas’s demise ran parallel to the rise of Baylor and TCU.

I can live with Texas being a power. They have inherent advantages that ISU will never have.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
So then, after Campbell leaves for the Browns job, Saban will be ready to come to Ames and win a NC at his 3rd school before he retires. Looking forward to it.

• Informative
Reactions: SoapyCy

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I realize Texas is a different beast than ISU but I wonder how Pollard would feel if the Reagents started calling other coaches agents when we didn't even have an opening.

Or maybe that is common so the AD has plausible deniability.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I realize Texas is a different beast than ISU but I wonder how Pollard would feel if the Reagents started started called other coaches agents when we didn't even have an opening.

Or maybe that is common so the AD has plausible deniability.

I assume that's how politics work at a place like Texas, or even any other big football school. The regents are probably way more interesting athletics, particularly football, then they need to or should.

This would be speculation on my part, but I would assume that the Iowa Regents don't really care much about athletics. All they care about is to make sure there are no scandals or anything negative that could affect the universities. Other than that, they probably don't put much effort into it.