Minivan Recommendations

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
We are going to be buying a minivan sometime this year and I’m wondering if there are any seasoned minivan users on here with advice? We are looking for something used under 30k. We test drove a 2018 Pacifica and Grand Caravan a couple days ago and both seemed solid. Would like to test the Odyssey and Siena as well. The Odysseys can be a little pricey but have others found them worth it? Would love to hear some input. Thanks!

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
My mom has been driving Odysseys for years for the grandkids. Every one that I've been in has been awesome. I've borrowed the most recent one for a couple of Colorado trips. Can't go wrong in my opinion, but an actual owner would surely be able to tell you more.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My mom has been driving Odysseys for years for the grandkids. Every one that I've been in has been awesome. I've borrowed the most recent one for a couple of Colorado trips. Can't go wrong in my opinion, but an actual owner would surely be able to tell you more.

You have a very similar non-owner take to mine. Like your mom, my sister is now a grandmother and still drives an Odyssey. They don't need one for day-to-day family stuff anymore but they love it's practicality and comfort for long drives or when her extended family is in town. Borrowed my nieces for a long drive to and back to Racine last summer to pick up a piece of furniture and was impressed. It's a great long distance driver.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
About the only drawback to a minivan is the winter-time traction compared to an AWD. If tires are at all worn, they sometimes handle like a pig on ice. Otherwise, a solid choice for a family vehicle.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
About the only drawback to a minivan is the winter-time traction compared to an AWD. If tires are at all worn, they sometimes handle like a pig on ice. Otherwise, a solid choice for a family vehicle.
Ya I almost feel like the young parents I know forego a minivan for a small suv

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
The wife and I had twins 6 yrs ago and bought a Dodge Grand Caravan 5 yrs ago. Pluses, it has lots of room, rides nice, I love the sliding side door, and has a dvd that keeps the kids quiet. Minuses, it is a little gutless, it is horrible in the snow, it's a Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat which means the look is good but the quality is a little suspect, and my T count takes a hit everytime I get behind the wheel. It was supposed to be my wife's car but shortly after we got it she got a promotion at work and a company vehicle. Since that day, I have been driving it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The wife and I had twins 6 yrs ago and bought a Dodge Grand Caravan 5 yrs ago. Pluses, it has lots of room, rides nice, I love the sliding side door, and has a dvd that keeps the kids quiet. Minuses, it is a little gutless, it is horrible in the snow, it's a Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat which means the look is good but the quality is a little suspect, and my T count takes a hit everytime I get behind the wheel. It was supposed to be my wife's car but shortly after we got it she got a promotion at work and a company vehicle. Since that day, I have been driving it.

A cautionary tale for all of you CF used mini van guys.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Wife had a grand caravan. Had around 210-220k miles on it. Got high 20s for gas mileage on highways and interstate. No major issues with it. Just started getting old enough that many small things kept breaking and dependability became the issue. Have a suburban so we didn’t need the minivan anymore and got an equinox to replace it.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
You should look into a mid-size SUV or go with the third seat option SUV. Better handling in all weather and conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ozclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Not to get to off-topic here but IMHO most of the all-season tires that car manufacturers place on their new cars are compromised towards fair weather driving because they offer a smoother and quieter ride and longer life. A couple Audis ago I had some great all-season Pirelli tires that were pretty good winter tires. Of course people bitched that they didn't last a zillion miles. A lot of the all-season are still pretty good in accumulated snow but not so good on slippery glazed over stuff. People should pay more attention to their tires. Love the tire reviews on the Tire Rack especially when you can zero down to your make/model comments from actual owners in your region.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not to get to off-topic here but IMHO most of the all-season tires that car manufacturers place on their new cars are compromised towards fair weather driving because they offer a smoother and quieter ride and longer life. A couple Audis ago I had some great all-season Pierells that were pretty good winter tires. Of course people bitched that they didn't last a zillion miles. A lot of the all-season are still pretty good in accumulated snow but not so good on slippery glazed over stuff. People should pay more attention to their tires. Love the tire reviews on the Tire Rack especially when you can zero down to your make/model comments from actual owners in your region.

Our suburban came with Michelin or Bridgestone Duelers (can’t remember the manufacturer). Solid tires that I changed out with 78k miles on them. I only changed them since we had a big trip and one had a very slow leak and didn’t want to risk an issue in mid January. Put the same things back on. Hope it’s the last pair we have with that vehicle. Seemed to do decent on all types but will agree that separate winter and summer tires are better.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Feel the same on the T level when I drive my wife's Rav. Nothing masculine about that ride

But I rarely drive so no reason to buy something more my style

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Ya I almost feel like the young parents I know forego a minivan for a small suv

A small SUV is a totally different deal than a mini van. It is more a replacement for a family sedan with the added cargo space and option for AWD.

If you are thinking maybe a van, then I would think you are more likely comparing to 3rd row SUVs. In that case the SUV seems to have the advantage with AWD and higher clearance, and that is about it. The van has more passenger space, more cargo space, smoother ride, better milage, and a laundry list of kid friendly options. And if you really need the AWD, I think you can get that on the Toyota.

Just make sure the wife is the daily driver and you are good to go. We made the move to the Odyssey about 8 months ago when kid number 2 was born. For hauling a family around they are still the best option, even if they are about as boring as cars get.

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
Have had 5 odyssey Van's and loved them all. Kids are older so no longer need a van. The new ones are awesome. Worth the extra price. No problems with any of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber