MBB non-conference schedule 2019-20 announced

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Florida A&M makes me laugh, as that was the first team I saw Iowa State play at Hilton. A real Johnny Orr Special! lol. Gotta give Johnny credit though, as he loaded the schedule in 1989-90 and 1990-91. The latter was particularly brutal. Unfortunately, he lost a couple of players (Mack and Baugh IIRC) which damaged both seasons.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/iowa-state/1991-schedule.html

1990-91 schedule was brutal. The only "cupcake" in non-con was UIC.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well-respected out east. Like Southern Miss, theoretically we could play them twice. Doesn't make sense to me.

It happens occasionally with the early season tournaments then a repeat-matchup on the regular schedule. I wouldn't rule out a repeat vs. SHU. Playing USM twice seems less likely, unless ISU loses its first two games in the bracket and winds up in the 7 vs. 8 consolation (Southern Miss is the most likely among the field to be in that game).

Edit: Bracket setup will be a factor.

Last edited:

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Some questions...
Nov 19 Southern Miss (Battle 4 Atlantis Campus Game) What is the purpose of this? If we and Southern Miss just happened to win games in just the right way, is it theoretically possible we could play them twice?

The purpose of the on campus tournament games is to get a home game that doesn't count against the maximum number of allowed games. We have one of those most years I think but Southern Miss is a step up from the usual teams you get in those.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good mix. Having a high-profile tournament helps. Get SHU and Iowa games at home. At least one true road game vs. P5 (Oregon State, with SEC opponent pending). Extreme cupcakes aren't overly numerous MVSU, KC and FAMU.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Looking forward to seeing who the @ SEC Team is going to be. @ Kentucky would be awesome but unlikely. Perhaps @ LSU, @ Alabama or @ South Carolina?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
Looking forward to seeing who the @ SEC Team is going to be. @ Kentucky would be awesome but unlikely. Perhaps @ LSU, @ Alabama or @ South Carolina?

I know a trip to UK would be great for exposure but, I don;t think this is the year for it. We have a young team and a tough enough schedule already!!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I know a trip to UK would be great for exposure but, I don;t think this is the year for it. We have a young team and a tough enough schedule already!!
It's just one game, and I'd enjoy the challenge. Plus, Rupp is cool place to see a game (been there). No guts, no glory! That being said, I think ISU will end up @ LSU - which is another cool place to see a game!

Reactions: riceville98

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Is the SEC game for sure gonna be a road game?
I'm not in charge, but I think it is! It shows up on the schedule @ SEC + the Big East game is @ Hilton. I bet going forward that we will see the Big Xii teams have 1 home and 1 away with the SEC-Big East Challenge games. Just a guess though! I Know NOTHINK!

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That looks like one of the more difficult non-conference schedules I can remember. That is certainly going to be a challenge for a young team, but there are numerous chances to build their CV for March in their (and even the cupcakes are less squishy than normal, which should help the SoS and computer rankings towards the end of the season if those mid- and low-majors on the schedule end up having good years on their own terms).

It should be fun. I am definitely going to go to the game against Southern Miss when I am back in Iowa before Thanksgiving. Should be my first time in Hilton since this game...

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2015-01-31-iowa-state.html

...if I recall correctly.

Amazing a team with Monté Morris, Naz Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas, Bryce Dejean-Jones, Abdel Nader, Dustin Hogue, Georges Niang, and Jameel McKay did not accomplish more.

That is not even counting Clayton Custer riding the bench that year, the only one of them to ever play in a Final Four, and a serviceable big man in Daniel Edozie along for the ride.

:p

MWB76

Jul 16, 2018
south dakota
The 2019/20 schedule concerns me.

Oregon St (18-13 last year) is improving, with four starters back (2 seniors, 2 juniors) and their 7' center had the nations 2nd highest shot block percentage last year. Coach's son is their leading scorer.

Barttorvik ranks 6 of the Battle for Atlantis teams much higher than us, with only Southern Miss ranked lower.

Torvik has Seton Hall ranked 27th and Myles Powell their star guard is one of the better ones we'll see.

Expect a tough SEC draw.

We'd better be ready out of the gate or we could have 5 non conference losses and that assumes, as we should, beat the Hoks.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Good post. I had missed the boat about UMKC's rebranding.

That type of thing has occurred several times thru the years (such as the IPFW to Purdue Fort Wayne example). Sometimes it's re-branding with initials instead of hyphenation.

Going way back, Nevada-Las Vegas to UNLV .. more recently, UW-Milwaukee to Milwakee; Central Florida to UCF. And so on. Also NC-Charlotte to Charlotte; Alabama-Birmingham to (F*****g) UAB;

I could be wrong. Often am. But I remember Memphis State, then Memphis, then back to Memphis State. Or something like that. The seem to change their name as often as we change our primary logo. Long live the I-STATE!!!

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I could be wrong. Often am. But I remember Memphis State, then Memphis, then back to Memphis State. Or something like that. The seem to change their name as often as we change our primary logo. Long live the I-STATE!!!

Memphis State is a good example. Didn't remember it switching back & forth (you're probably correct)

Virginia Tech still is officially Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. (I think it should choose branding as VPIASU or Veepiasoo :D)

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Memphis State is a good example. Didn't remember it switching back & forth (you're probably correct)

Virginia Tech still is officially Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. (I think it should choose branding as VPIASU or Veepiasoo :D)
Iowa State is really the Iowa State University of Science & Technology, so Let's Go ISU-S&T!

L.S.U. is Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College, so they could be LSU-A&M.

So, look for an ISU-S&T @ LSU-A&M match-up in the Big Xii-SEC Challenge!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And the Burger King........

Sometimes I think back to all of that happening (I was maybe 8 or 9) and I still can't believe that happened.

I know the story went that he was forced into it, but how about...not be there to begin with?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sometimes I think back to all of that happening (I was maybe 8 or 9) and I still can't believe that happened.

I know the story went that he was forced into it, but how about...not be there to begin with?

Had never heard the part about being forced into it. I just thought it was a case of stupidity at it's finest.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron