HOW MUCH

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonevac

Feb 11, 2016
I have only been following ISU since coach Campbell arrived, previously a Toledo fan. I am not familiar with the atmosphere, hopes and expectations prior to CMC. Has the campus changed as much as one would think from reading the forums?

Reactions: aauummm

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I have only been following ISU since coach Campbell arrived, previously a Toledo fan. I am not familiar with the atmosphere, hopes and expectations prior to CMC. Has the campus changed as much as one would think from reading the forums?
We were the 2000s Cleveland browns basically

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My impression, having been a student a very long time ago, is that the campus, Campustown and Ames have all changed substantially in the last 15-20 years.

About the same degree of change that Jack Trice Stadium has experienced lately.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The campus and athletic facilities have changed, but only partially due to Campbell. The athletic dept has committed (along with donors) to making the facilities as good as any other in the Big 12. There are many other factors that have impacted the growth as it started well before Coach C arrived. His influence will surely keep it headed in the right direction.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
My impression, having been a student a very long time ago, is that the campus, Campustown and Ames have all changed substantially in the last 15-20 years.

About the same degree of change that Jack Trice Stadium has experienced lately.
Yet I can say that I walked around campus a year ago and found that it really hadn't changed that much from the days I walked it to get to class. The biggest difference I noticed was the Hub, the Durham Center and the library expansion. I started walking to class 49 years ago. :eek:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yet I can say that I walked around campus a year ago and found that it really hadn't changed that much from the days I walked it to get to class. The biggest difference I noticed was the Hub, the Durham Center and the library expansion. I started walking to class 49 years ago. :eek:

That's a football stadium and basketball arena ago though. ;)

Sames for me, hit campus 50 years ago this fall as a 17 year old.

Reactions: Psyclone

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

Yeah the west and north sides of campus have many new engineering and science lab buildings, respectively, but you're right the core (award winning) central campus landscape with the perimeter classical & brick buildings remained the same - for good reason! They did a great job upgrading around fountain and campanile in recent years, and the Morrill Hall restoration was great aside from the hideous scrap metal sculpture o_O on the front.

To the OP, the athletic facilities were on the way pre-Campbell with Coach Rhoads emphasizing their key to recruiting but most especially since AD Pollard arrived and the stabilized Big XII and resulting new TV contract $$$. Campbell's momentum will certainly help then finish/continue.

Cyczech

Feb 24, 2013
Rockford IL
I don't think Jamie Pollard get's enough credit for what has taken place in the last 10 or so years. Yes, he could not do it without the most loyal fans in the nation but it was also about attitude. "Why not Iowa State?" Pollard has been key in this growth and much of that is because of hiring just really good people that we as well as recruits parents can be proud of.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
The question relates to CMC being the source of energy. From an attendance an atmosphere perspective we were on an upward trajectory. JP continued to sell the programs and the Big 12 survived and thrived. That being said CMC has thrown gasoline on a steady flame that has everyone ready put the pads on. We are getting recruits that we traditionally have not gotten. Still work to do but I like where we are.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Yes, Mrs. Campbell, it has changed alot. Thank you for your son.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The Rhoads era inspired some hope, but it always seemed like more of a McCarney underdog thing. Onside kicks and fake punts until we got to 6 wins (hopefully). Campbell has brought a sense of legitimacy and national respect that most ISU fans have never experienced.

The Solid Verbal is one of the better college football podcasts out there, and as one of the hosts has mentioned, Iowa State is officially no longer "plucky". Iowa State is good.

That said, most of the country thinks Campbell has one foot out the door because after all, it's still lowly Iowa State in Ames, Iowa. I'm not sure what to think. Just hoping we can enjoy this as long as possible. I wish I was in school during this success. I imagine the campus, university, and students are as energized as ever. The new president sounded fun and supportive in KC.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and arobb

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
@cyclonevac our football and basketball facilities are not located on campus, since the 1970s. Both the campus and the sports facilities have gotten considerable upgrades, but many were in the works before Campbell showed up and they don't directly impact each other.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That said, most of the country thinks Campbell has one foot out the door because after all, it's still lowly Iowa State in Ames, Iowa. I'm not sure what to think.
I don’t think it matters what “most of the country” thinks. I pay attention to what Matt Campbell says.

For that matter, when I think of his frequent comments about “building something lasting”, I try to consider at what other school that would be possible at.

First qualification is a P5 school. For obvious reasons. There are caveats to that—like revenue stream—but the point stands.

Second qualification is fan support. In other words, scratch Rutgers.

You take if from there.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Welch/Lincoln Way has changed A LOT since I graduated just 4 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: IceCyIce

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
While the outside of the buildings in central campus may appear similar, the interiors of many look nothing like they did years ago. Curtis Hall is a prime example. Lagomarcino has a new entrance and offices and the science buildings on the north side of the campus are relatively new. Music facilities are fairly new as well and engineering is night and day different from the 80’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and NWICY

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
More than facilities, I think CMC has created a reality and belief, maybe a little fragile still (we havent sold the nut cups yet) that we can compete in the B12 and match other P5 schools in bowls etc. That has not been the tradition at ISU, although there have been some rare years when we had decent seasons.

Now with CMC, the fan base does expect to be competitive on the field at every game, that is a new attitude with this very loyal fan base. Thanks CMC!!! I mean look at the CUBS :)

Last edited:

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
That's a football stadium and basketball arena ago though. ;)

Sames for me, hit campus 50 years ago this fall as a 17 year old.
Hilton was open my sophomore year. Unfortunately Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice came a one year too late for me as a student. C.Y. Stephens was opened before I arrived on campus.

Although much of the campus and many campus buildings are the same, campustown has undergone much change. Pretty much one block is left from the way it was when I was in school. And that block is now undergoing change. It's none too soon either. The entire block could have been leveled as far as I am concerned.

An ambitious plan they proposed about a decade ago failed. I think part of the reason is that some of the buildings were considered historical. I think the other problems were financial and the fact that downtown business owners probably weren't too keen on funding improvements that compete with downtown. That plan would have made the area an attraction for more than just students. I did a quick Google search and I think I found those plans.

Campustown Study - Summary Document October 20, 2008

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone