***Official Y Cap City Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Agree. Just saying it's not like he was some thug.

Ya i think Talley was/is a good dude but his dismissal from ODU and suspension at ISU were both self inflicted issues that, like you said, wouldn’t have been a huge deal if he were just a regular student.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Talley just had some bad timing, bad luck, and made some poor choices. He had the size and skills to be a rotational player on a lot of good Iowa State teams.

He just (1.) was hurt the year he could have made the most impact and/or solidified himself as a starter or trusted sixth man, (2.) fell behind a very talented corps of wings and swingmen his senior year, and (3.) did some knuckle-headed stuff when he really needed to earn trust, experience, and incumbency to maximize his potential while in Ames.

I hope he does well in life, wherever he ends up, but his tenure had a lot going against it.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I was reminded how good Solomon Young is at interior defense. Even in the summer league his defense made a huge impact in their game. He pretty much shut down Issa Samake, the incoming Drake freshman who had looked pretty good in previous weeks. Had a few blocks on Lewis and Javan Johnson as well. I think him and Tre Jackson have given noticeable effort on the defensive end compared to what you normally see in that league. Both of them anticipate plays and are consistently in the right spot.

The Clones beat Ohio St in the tournament if Solo was available to guard Wesson . I'm excited about our front court because all 3 bring unique skills to create favorable match ups.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Clones beat Ohio St in the tournament if Solo was available to guard Wesson . I'm excited about our front court because all 3 bring unique skills to create favorable match ups.

I went to the game in Tulsa -- watching Kaleb Wesson beat up on Jacobson and Lard was frustrating, to say the least, particularly with the refs not calling anything.

Solomon was the "enforcer" the roster missed last season. He might not have averaged any more than 10-15 minutes per game, but there were situations you needed him.

Being able to stand in there again Wesson, play positions/physical, and hit back on the other end, like he used to do to the likes of Konate and Doke in the Big 12...

DbJYfESV4AIzi69.jpg

...would have helped greatly. I do not know if Solomon is the best fit for a team that wants to play super fast, but he is the brawler you need in a streetfight sometimes.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't think there is any question we beat OSU with Young. I thought we didn't play Lard enough, he could have ran Wesson off of the floor and really when he was in there, Wesson couldn't guard him. We should have gone to Lard with the ball more than we did. Oh well.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I can't shake the feeling that Javan Johnson is Zoran Talley reincarnate. They're both tall small forwards without much of an outside shot, but excel at penetrating. But, that's just my take from seeing statlines at cap city. Anyone have a take on his role next year?

I kind of think the more apt comparison is Abdel Nader. Good athleticism with flashes of great scoring ability. Nader improved a lot under Prohm, so I'm really optimistic about Johnson.

Reactions: isutrevman

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
He will redshirt this year (‘19-‘20) so he can play next (‘20-‘21).
Apparently one person was too stupid to realize that when we’re talking about what a player is going to do, “this year” is the upcoming season—and has the balls to rate me “dumb”?

Are you dumb enough to call the upcoming season opener with UNI “next year”, too?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Apparently one person was too stupid to realize that when we’re talking about what a player is going to do, “this year” is the upcoming season—and has the balls to rate me “dumb”?

Are you dumb enough to call the upcoming season opener with UNI “next year”, too?

It took really big balls to anonymously give you not 1, but 2 dumb ratings. Good job trying to correct Bryce's post though.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Alright fine, I’ll rescind my CCL judgment of Lewis since this league isn’t exactly the best analysis of talent. I’ll still defer to the 48 games I’ve seen Lewis play in at ISU and hold the opinion that he’s not a Big 12 level player. That’s just my opinion though, I’m sure some will disagree and that’s fine. We’re not all going to agree on everything on this site.
While I think we can criticize and analyze without putting negative labels on players (who are just young amateurs, and some never will be overseas/NBA pros), I truly appreciate your candor. And I do think it's important that disagreement is tolerated on this site, and mostly I think it is. Not trying to derail the thread.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I can't say for sure - don't recall that. My D comment was solely from what I'd seen in the videos posted on Youtube. Certainly can't say they're conclusive, but his D didn't look great. His O sure did. (Doesn't mean he can't get there, by all means.)
His build and ability to get hot remind me of Barry Brown. Brown became a great defender,p but he had to work at it, and Weber facilitated it. Weber sat his team down and said they needed a lockdown defender, Brown volunteered. (Source: some Athletic article)

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I went to the game in Tulsa -- watching Kaleb Wesson beat up on Jacobson and Lard was frustrating, to say the least, particularly with the refs not calling anything.

Solomon was the "enforcer" the roster missed last season. He might not have averaged any more than 10-15 minutes per game, but there were situations you needed him.

Being able to stand in there again Wesson, play positions/physical, and hit back on the other end, like he used to do to the likes of Konate and Doke in the Big 12...

DbJYfESV4AIzi69.jpg

...would have helped greatly. I do not know if Solomon is the best fit for a team that wants to play super fast, but he is the brawler you need in a streetfight sometimes.

He also completely took Tyler Cook out of the game two seasons ago in Ames. Cook ate our lunch last season. I hope he can stay healthy. He deserves a full season at his best.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You just can’t help yourself can you.
Oh? Pot, meet kettle:

I can't shake the feeling that Javan Johnson is Zoran Talley reincarnate. They're both tall small forwards without much of an outside shot, but excel at penetrating. But, that's just my take from seeing statlines at cap city. Anyone have a take on his role next year?

He's a true transfer, he's redshirting next year.

It was pretty obvious what the OP meant by “next year”. Why not just admit that you were wrong? Is it that hard?

• Dislike
Reactions: Cydkar

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Oh? Pot, meet kettle:

It was pretty obvious what the OP meant by “next year”. Why not just admit that you were wrong? Is it that hard?

Except he compared him to Zoran Talley, a grad transfer.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Any word on if the ISU guys will be there for tonight’s games?
There is no reason I know of why they wouldn't be there. Attendance has been good so far. I think every single Iowa State guy played last week. I think they tweaked the league schedule to make sure Iowa State players can play in all the games this summer.