Minneapolis Beer spots

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Holiday Inn St. Paul Downtown
Tin Whiskers is the one I've been to that's close to you. It's good.

If you like Mexican food, you may want to try Wabasha Brewing in West St Paul. I've never been to the brewery but there are a couple of great Mexican restaurants in the area.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Waldmann's looks cool but it looks like they tend to serve German style beers, which are not my thing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not a brewery, but Ox Cart's roof top is a pretty cool spot in St. Paul. Parking is alright if its not too busy in Lower Town

Yah, doesn't have to be a brewery and maybe better if it isn't. Not EVERYBODY likes beer after all. Food and alternative drinks are pretty sketchy at the beer joints.

Ox Cart is a "cool spot" but hotter than the blazes on a hot day for happy hour.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Okay, got a slight hijack but still on topic. Anyone got any suggestions for a ISU alumni happy hour for July? Group would like one over St. Paul way but not to far east of St. Paul. Just had one at Utepils Brewing in Mpls. Attendance was pretty weak at 15 or so.

Think someplace where parking is not impossible and that we can grab two or three tables for 20 or so.
Billy's on Grand.

This may be interesting only to me but I recently discovered that a neighbor and I were both at Billy's watching the OJ chase.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Billy's on Grand.

This may be interesting only to me but I recently discovered that a neighbor and I were both at Billy's watching the OJ chase.
If you go to Billy's, you will see Billy.. hammered.. chatting it up at the end of the bar. Dude loves to dip into his own supply let me tell ya hahaha

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yah, doesn't have to be a brewery and maybe better if it isn't. Not EVERYBODY likes beer after all. Food and alternative drinks are pretty sketchy at the beer joints.

Ox Cart is a "cool spot" but hotter than the blazes on a hot day for happy hour.
Yeah, you're not lying lol. But any outdoor area gets hotter than blazes on a hot day in Minnesota lol. I was just thinking they have enough room to link together tables for 20+ people. Also has shuffleboard and a food menu. May be an option, maybe not

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Cosetta's is great, it's always jam-packed when I'm there though, which is an annoyance to me haha. But definitely worth it if you've never been/visiting the area
I think it's always busy but we've always been able to find a place to sit. Generally though, there isn't enough room for all of your trays at the table.

• Agree

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not wild about Bad Weather. Been a few times.

To add to your St Paul list, the Summit tap room is actually worthwhile. They're underrated, IMO, and usually have something cool on tap.

It's been a few years, but that taproom is really neat. I wish we got more of their stuff, agree that it's underrated.

jksherman2

Nov 24, 2015
Des Moines
I'm heading up to St. Paul in a couple of weeks. Here are a few on my list. Any others I should check out? I'd like to stay somewhat near St. Paul since I'll be Ubering.

Keg and Case Market (Clutch Brewing)
Bang Brewing
Happy Gnome (been before)
Birch's Lowertown
Barrel Theory

I've been to Surly, Dangerous Man, Hammerheart, Indeed, Town Hall, Republic, etc.

Was just up there this past weekend. Clutch Brewing is really good. I would also look into Urban Growler that might have been my favorite in the St. Paul area.

Reactions: dmclone

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I really like what BlackStack and Modist are doing. All of the beers I've tried from BS, except for one, have been really solid. Double Ghost Vision, FYI ICIMI LOL BRB CYA (ISO:FT) and Double Dreamyard are killer beers from Modist.

Also, Hum's Liquor on Lyndale Ave in Minneapolis, has a really good selection of beer if you are looking for a bottle shop.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Depending on how far out of your way you want to go, Little Thistle and Forager in Rochester are really good.

Looks like that would add about an hour to my drive and then once I was over there I would feel like I would have to stop in Decorah, then Pivo, .....

• Funny

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I'll report back on my findings. May also try out the escape room on our way into the city.
Excited to hear where you go. I would say that Barrel Theory should be #1 on your list but that is just my humble opinion.