Upcoming Kansas City Trip

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Don't forget Westport's Flea Market. I don't think it's the best burger like they claim but its very good. Beer selection is very good and prices are great. Have hit happy hour and was shocked how cheap a good microbrew was. Very low key place.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched and GoldCard

Brookcyde

Aug 29, 2012
Hey Fanatics,

Spending long weekend (July 4th -8th) in Kansas City . We are staying about 10 minutes drive East Of River Market. I've been to KC many times so know most of the big stuff but still welcome some recommendations. The River Market and West Bottoms neighborhoods are fairly unknown to me.

1. Good place to see fireworks preferably with minimal hassle and crowds
2. Great food (live music is a plus)
3. Hidden tourist attractions
4. Good beer selection

Thanks!!!

There is so much to choose from. Here are a few tips I didn't see in other posts, that are in the general vicinity of where you will be.

1. Main fireworks show is at RiverFest, along the Missouri River between River Market and the Bond Bridge. If you are staying 10 min. east of River Market, you may be able to see them from where you are staying.
2. Food--just east of River Market--Garozzo's. Old School italian. Think Frank Sinatra. You will not leave hungry. 6th and Harrison.
2a. Music-- Contrary to what someone posted here, Knuckleheads is not a country bar. A great, dive-y venue in the East bottoms with multiple stages, very intimate. The Motels will be there one night when you are in town, check out their website.
2b. Food with Music--The Phoenix, 8th and Central(downtown)--jazz and blues happy hour through the evening. Jazz brunch on Saturday mornings. Food is ok but music and atmosphere are worth it--in an old brick building near the old coffee factory.
2c. Barbecue--Arthur Bryants, 18th and Brooklyn (should be near where you are staying).
4. Beer--If you want something unusual, try Krokkstrom Klubb, about 37th and Broadway(near the uptown theater). Scandinavian restaurant with a bar. Beer from several scandinavian countries plus meads, acquavit, great cocktails, and the food is interesting. Very laid back. A few appetizers and drinks at the bar is a great happy hour treat. But if you try the flight of acquavit shots, make sure you Uber.....

Have fun!!

Reactions: intrepid27

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
There is so much to choose from. Here are a few tips I didn't see in other posts, that are in the general vicinity of where you will be.

1. Main fireworks show is at RiverFest, along the Missouri River between River Market and the Bond Bridge. If you are staying 10 min. east of River Market, you may be able to see them from where you are staying.

We have an Air BNB just East of the Colonade at Kelsser Park. Anyone know it that's a solid option for the above mentioned fireworks ?

Last edited:

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
We're going to KC the last weekend in July. We'll enjoy the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights and then hit a Royals game on Sunday. Any recommendations for entertainment for a wife and 13 year old son on a Saturday afternoon??? Help!!!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We're going to KC the last weekend in July. We'll enjoy the hotel on Friday and Saturday nights and then hit a Royals game on Sunday. Any recommendations for entertainment for a wife and 13 year old son on a Saturday afternoon??? Help!!!

The WW1 museum is really solid, but really can't be seen in a half a day. As someone said upthread the Nelson Atkins museum of art is really cool almost more history museum than art way more than just paintings. Haven't been there but the Basketball experience by the Sprint Center looks neat, or the Negro League Baseball museum.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Re: Plowboys - we stopped to eat at the downtown location during the 2015 Big 12 tourney, and the owner came over to talk to our table (we had our ISU gear on of course). I believe he was originally from Iowa. Thought that was cool he took the time to greet us.

Also didn’t hurt that the burnt ends basket was the special the day we went.

Brookcyde

Aug 29, 2012
Hows the food truck scene at River Market and Downtown?
Friday July 5 will be the monthly "First Friday" event in the Crossroads district. There will be a lots of food trucks out that evening, both in the "official" food truck area (usually around 18th and Grand) and also just randomly on the fringes. Lots of food, free music, art galleries and shops open, great people watching.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Friday July 5 will be the monthly "First Friday" event in the Crossroads district. There will be a lots of food trucks out that evening, both in the "official" food truck area (usually around 18th and Grand) and also just randomly on the fringes. Lots of food, free music, art galleries and shops open, great people watching.

Agreed - ditch rivermarket on Friday and head down to crossroads... even if art is not your thing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Unless it has gotten better in the past few years do not go to see fireworks in Corporate Woods in Overland Park. Or if you go find parking in the neighborhoods to the south. The fireworks are good and there is a decent band/food trucks, but traffic control is horrible.

A better option on the Kansas side is Stillwell. Smallish town that puts on a good show and traffic is so much more manageable.
anigif_enhanced-22032-1412703576-16.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
The college basketball experience is a lot of fun! Basically a gigantic pop a shot place.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Just got back form trip and thought I'd post quick recap. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Despite air show and 4th of July weekend KC was very easy to get around.

Attractions: WWI museum was very cool rushed a it a bit and spent 4 hours. Lots to see and did not realize there is a research center (staffed) on site. Gave the clerk my grandfather's name and address and he pulled up a lot of info on him such as when he returned home including ports and name of ship.

Nelson Atkins Art Museum was very cool. I'm not an art geek but there was a lot to see (not just paintings). And it's free.

Food: (Yes I am a BBQ snob but here's my opinion.)
Arthur Bryant's - I had Burnt End Sandwich and 3 ribs. Meat on Burnt ends was good but totally drowned in BBQ sauce so could hardly taste the meat. Ribs were decent but not much more. Tender but bland and close to dry.

Gates: Got a lb of brisket and 1/2 lb of pork and took it back to house to eat. Brisket was good. Very tender but not super flavorful. Slice pork was totally drowned in BBQ sauce. I realize this may have been bad luck but pork was VERY fatty. To the point where we threw almost half of it away as there was so little meat.

Q39- Outstanding. Probably the best food experience I've had in 5 years. Everything was exceptional. Crowded but not overpriced. Chicken wings are amazing. Glad we went there last night otherwise it would have totally ruined everything else.

Other :
O'Malleys Pub in Weston. It's a bit of a drive about 20 minutes North of Airport but very unique. Irish pub food was solid (Not great but solid) . There is a pub and restaurant on site of old brewery. Pub goes 4-5 stories deep in the old brewery caves and has several separate sections. We were there on Sat night and there were two different live performers in different sections and you could not hear the other one at all. Good Music and fresh beer. Since we ate at restaurant the cover to the live music was free.
Note: Need a DD as the roads are winding and narrow.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Just got back form trip and thought I'd post quick recap. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Attractions: WWI museum was very cool rushed a it a bit and spent 4 hours. Lots to see and did not realize there is a research center (staffed) on site. Gave the clerk my grandfather's name and address and he pulled up a lot of info on him such as when he returned home including ports and name of ship.

Nelson Atkins Art Museum was very cool. I'm not an art geek but there was a lot to see (not just paintings). And it's free.

Arthur Bryant's - I had Burnt End Sandwich and 3 ribs. Meat on Burnt ends was good but totally drowned in BBQ sauce so could hardly taste the meat. Ribs were decent but not much more. Tender but bland and close to dry.

Gates: Got a lb of brisket and 1/2 lb of pork and took it back to house to eat. Brisket was good. Very tender but not super flavorful. Slice pork was totally drowned in BBQ sauce. I realize this may have been bad luck but pork was VERY fatty. To the point where we threw almost half of it away as there was so little meat.

Q39- Outstanding. Probably the best food experience I've had in 5 years. Everything was exceptional. Crowded but not overpriced. Chicken wings are amazing. Glad we went there last night otherwise it would have totally ruined everything else.

Other :
O'Malleys Pub in Weston. It's a bit of a drive about 20 minutes North of Airport but very unique. Irish pub food was solid (Not great but solid) . There is a pub and restaurant on site of old brewery. Pub goes 4-5 stories deep in the old brewery caves and has several separate sections. We were there on Sat night and there were two different live performers in different sections and you could not hear the other one at all. Good Music and fresh beer. Since we ate at restaurant the cover to the live music was free.

Arthur Bryants and Gates seem to get a lot of press, but there aren't many down here that will put them at the top of their list. A few of the older residents will swear by them, but I'm convinced it's more out of loyalty than actual quality. Glad you made it to Q39 as they are on a different level than the other two IMO.

Weston is a cool area. The state park is under-rated, Snow Creek is fun and the Holladay Distillery is pretty interesting as well. I've only been to O'Malleys once, but we had fun. From what I remember, I agree with your food assessment.

Be happy you made it through Platte City without getting a ticket. I think I've seen someone pulled over by a cop about 90% of the time I've gone through there.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

Other :
I have to disagree with Q39. Was there on Saturday for second time. First time I thought it was pretty good but this time was underwhelming. Brisket was good, pulled pork was like it was soaked in a crockpot, ribs were ok and so were the burnt ends. But so much salt and spices where it was just overboard. Didn't taste the smoke like you should, IMO. Really disappointed. I just need to stick with "dive" places like the orig Joes, BBs, Woodyard, etc. Really wish I would have tried Slaps.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCHIEF

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Went to Q39 last night. Had the best bbq sandwich in my life—the pork belly. We also ordered brisket. It was so meh. The burnt ends were very fatty and gelatinous—is that normal? Overall, that pork belly saved the day, but the beef graded out as a C- at best.

Gonna try a different bbq joint tonight.