Level the playing field in HS athletics

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
No one is saying these kids are getting thousands of dollars to go to a private school, but when was the last time you heard of a public school coach talking to another public school player about transferring to their school. Outside of Clear Creek and their softball program, it doesn't happen in public schools. But I have witnessed private school coaches talking to my players about transferring and have had others tell me its happening. At all of them, no clue, at Holy Trinity down here in SE Iowa. Yep.

It happens in public schools also. Why are HS coaches coaching youth club teams. How are four 6 ft 6 225 athletes ending up at 1A schools that have no good traditions and have closed open enrollment.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Thank you. It would be interesting to see how many of Dowling's kids come from Catholic grade schools. CF would have us believe it's a bunch of jocks in high school so they can win sports. If they actively recruited then Valley, Waukee, Johnston, whatever, wouldn't be good in any sports because Dowling would get them all. They'd build a super team and never lose.

Everyone moving from their town to Waukee isn't moving because the ranch houses on a cul de sac in Waukee is better than the same house in whatever town they're from. They're moving there for the school. Where is the complaint about that?

EDIT - hold the phone! look at this, right here out in the open.

I think many of Dowling's kids do come from Catholic grade schools. They do though also have a good youth sports program that feeds into the grade schools at times.

Its not a school like Dowling that is a huge issue in DSM. Its the other private schools that suckkkkk in Jr High at sports but once HS rolls around they get good for some reason.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That's one spring. How do other northern states do it? Why can't baseball start in April?
Minnesota plays spring baseball/softball and only plays ~15-20 games before the playoffs. As someone active in the baseball community, the only problem with summer baseball is that some kids would rather do other things with their summers. But if you don't love baseball, you don't have to play! And yes, it avoids conflicts with other spring sports. Summer nights at the ballpark are great!

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Moving baseball/softball to spring would likely ruin not only the baseball program but at least one if not more of the spring sports for the heavy majority of 1A/2A schools and I’m guessing at least a few 3A ones as well. I don’t care if Iowa’s the only school to do it in the summer. Iowa is doing it right

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Not pouting at all, its like trying to talk with Trump supporters, show them all the information in the world, they still deny it happens. So you reach a point and move on.

Lets recap:
- You have claimed that private schools have an 'unfair' advantage and 'dominate'
- Info has been posted showing that the 'dominance' you claim isn't as widespread as you claim (i.e. - typically is only one sport and for a handful of years, not all sports and for decades)
- A poster gave an example of a public school beating a private school by using players from a different public school district that open enrolled to their district, and you have no problem with it (aka - its ok for public schools to do it but private schools should be punished)
- You claim to have heard stories of/seen private schools recruiting, but have no evidence of it - this is called hearsay

It seems like you are the one denying information that doesn't support your position.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Lets recap:
- You have claimed that private schools have an 'unfair' advantage and 'dominate'
- Info has been posted showing that the 'dominance' you claim isn't as widespread as you claim (i.e. - typically is only one sport and for a handful of years, not all sports and for decades)
- A poster gave an example of a public school beating a private school by using players from a different public school district that open enrolled to their district, and you have no problem with it (aka - its ok for public schools to do it but private schools should be punished)
- You claim to have heard stories of/seen private schools recruiting, but have no evidence of it - this is called hearsay

It seems like you are the one denying information that doesn't support your position.

Lets recap in the 2017 state baseball tournament, Nine Catholic schools qualified for the state tournament. All of them won their opening quarterfinal game. Catholic schools were 13-2 against public schools at state.

We see the same in Volleyball, Boys basketball and football, but the private schools have no advantage. In Illinois the private schools are suing the state, they are now getting bumped up a class, and not winning as much as they did before. But 70% of the Illinois school directs support the multiplier. They must be wrong,

You can deny it all you want, I have seen recruiting taking place, so have others. The numbers back up that private schools are competing and winning a lot more than their percent of schools indicate they should. But I guess its Fake News, unless it comes out in the DMR.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You guys are right, I have been wrong, the reason that the private schools are doing so well is superior coaching, superior athletes and just an overall better system. No private school in the state of Iowa has EVER recruited an athlete from a public school. They all just decided to pay to go there on their own, by their own free will, without encouragement from the private school.

There you go, its all a bunch of ****, but you win.
The problem is there are certainly some schools who are bending the rules - both public and private - but not all. So you go from saying that every private school is doing it and when not everyone agrees with you go the other way and say that everyone is saying that every school is squeaky clean. That isn't what others are saying at all.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
One guy in this thread is a coach...the others are dudes who went to private school or kids go to private school. I think I'll listen to the guy who lives and breathes this stuff everyday. And to argue that private schools are not winning in disproportionate amounts around the state is comical. Why are states all over the country (not just Illinois) putting restrictions on private schools?

For those just getting in on this thread though don't worry. The former Xavier AD is the new head of the iahsaa so no worries anything will change anyway.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One guy in this thread is a coach...the others are dudes who went to private school or kids go to private school. I think I'll listen to the guy who lives and breathes this stuff everyday. And to argue that private schools are not winning in disproportionate amounts around the state is comical. Why are states all over the country (not just Illinois) putting restrictions on private schools?

For those just getting in on this thread though don't worry. The former Xavier AD is the new head of the iahsaa so no worries anything will change anyway.
A coach with an obvious axe to grind.

I never went to private school and my only kid in high school is going to a public school.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

Didn't go to private school. My oldest kid is 3, so if she goes to private school, it wont be because she's good at sports (and she's definitely not going to Dowling).

My public high school was in a conference with 2 catholic school when I was that age, so we played them frequently. My time during high school: 0 losses those schools in football, 0 losses in wrestling, maybe a couple in boys bball (not sure, didn't play), 0 losses to one of the schools in baseball, maybe 3? to the other, including beating both of them (and MC Newman) in districts/sub-state over the 4 years. Our girls teams were bad, like bottom of the conference bad, but I don't remember either of those schools having overly good girls sport either.

I could give a rip if a multiplier for private schools is put into place. It wont affect me one bit. And I doubt that it would have the impact SEIOWA CLONE thinks it would have. He cherry picked 2017 state baseball trying to show the dominance of private school. Conveniently didn't list 2015 when only 3 private schools made the state tournament.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames

I am a public school coach as well. It happens in both public and private schools. I'd have no problem with a multiplier, but people are kidding themselves if they think recruiting HS players is happening any more at private schools than it is at public schools in general.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I am a public school coach as well. It happens in both public and private schools. I'd have no problem with a multiplier, but people are kidding themselves if they think recruiting HS players is happening any more at private schools than it is at public schools in general.

Yep, it happens at both private and public schools. Denying it is sticking your head in the sand.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

Totally agree. I didn't aim to say recruiting only happens at private schools. I totally realize it happens at public schools as well.

Reactions: tigershoops31

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Totally agree. I didn't aim to say recruiting only happens at private schools. I totally realize it happens at public schools as well.

Ok then we need a 6'2" middle blocker- a backup setter and a libero- Where do we advertise this?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Often, if a family can afford to pay tuition for HIGH SCHOOL, then they are likely to be involved parents, parents who will also pay for additional coaching/lessons, and show up at games and support the school and their programs. Compare that to the parents who see school as a place to "occupy" the time of their kids.

Generally, if the coaches are good and the kids have the desire to put in the time to get better, a number of good things happen in the program.

Well positioned suburban schools usually outperform private schools in just about every metric.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Didn't go to private school. My oldest kid is 3, so if she goes to private school, it wont be because she's good at sports (and she's definitely not going to Dowling).

My public high school was in a conference with 2 catholic school when I was that age, so we played them frequently. My time during high school: 0 losses those schools in football, 0 losses in wrestling, maybe a couple in boys bball (not sure, didn't play), 0 losses to one of the schools in baseball, maybe 3? to the other, including beating both of them (and MC Newman) in districts/sub-state over the 4 years. Our girls teams were bad, like bottom of the conference bad, but I don't remember either of those schools having overly good girls sport either.

I could give a rip if a multiplier for private schools is put into place. It wont affect me one bit. And I doubt that it would have the impact SEIOWA CLONE thinks it would have. He cherry picked 2017 state baseball trying to show the dominance of private school. Conveniently didn't list 2015 when only 3 private schools made the state tournament.

The 2017 baseball came from the article I linked, Google any boys bb state field in the past 20 years. The smaller class is overwhelmingly private schools, VB is the same thing.
This is just not an Iowa problem, google any widwest state and they have coaches and parents complaining about it just like we are. The only state that does not is Illinois.
I am good friends with a former teacher, his brother is a very successful FB coach in Hannibal MO, he just retired from there. Every year, I would ask, is your brother going to win it this year, his response was always the same, " they will do fine until they have to play the private schools from St. Louis."

Add the multiplier for six years, that would be 3 cycles, if it does not drop the number of private school making state in the lower classes after that time. Do away with it.
We have nothing to lose if we do not try.

Here is a list of the BB champions, not teams that played in the tourney, but won it. Look at how many are private schools compared to the number of actual private schools in the state.
https://ihsaa-static.s3.amazonaws.com/baseball/Archives/BaseStateChamp_results.pdf

Here is the VB list, you see the same thing. https://sites.google.com/site/iahsaasports/all-state-champions/volleyball-state-champions

Last edited: