Iowa Gold Rush and other lost History

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Odd tidbits of lost Iowa history fascinate me. Here is one I like--Iowa once had a gold rush. http://www.iowagold.com/IOWAGOLDPAGES/iowa_gold_where_to_find.htm
from link:

---------
GOLD IN HARDIN COUNTY IOWA

In the spring of 1853, shortly after the organization of the county, John Ellsworth imparted the information to a faithful few that he had discovered gold upon his farm a short distance south of Eldora Iowa. The gold fever, consequent upon the delivery of the precious metal in California, was yet at its height. Prospecting was going on in almost every State in the Union, and dreams of future riches derived from the working of a mine of gold upon their place, took possession of the minds of thousands. Farm operations were neglected in many locations, and with pick and shovel, the farmer went out to search for the gold that was sure to be hid among the rocks on his place.

It was a short time that gold had been discovered in harden county. The press of the country took it up, and the farther from home the news reached, the more marvelous were the stories told and instead of having an Eldora here in Hardin County, it was certain that is was a veritable Eldorado.

Soon the prairie schooners wended their way hither, and during the summer it is estimated that between two and three thousand persons visited the supposed mines, coming here with hopes and leaving very much disappointed. Some would spend a few days in the neighborhood, while others would not remain an hour. Often, it was stated that on arriving within a few miles of the place, the men would stop to inquire the way, and ask after the prospects of the mines. When told that there was probably no gold to be found, they would drive on, swearing that the people here did not want any one to come, but desired to keep all the gold for themselves. On returning with blasted hopes they never thought to stop and apologized for their rude conduct.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Odd tidbits of lost Iowa history fascinate me. Here is one I like--Iowa once had a gold rush. http://www.iowagold.com/IOWAGOLDPAGES/iowa_gold_where_to_find.htm
from link:

---------
GOLD IN HARDIN COUNTY IOWA

In the spring of 1853, shortly after the organization of the county, John Ellsworth imparted the information to a faithful few that he had discovered gold upon his farm a short distance south of Eldora Iowa. The gold fever, consequent upon the delivery of the precious metal in California, was yet at its height. Prospecting was going on in almost every State in the Union, and dreams of future riches derived from the working of a mine of gold upon their place, took possession of the minds of thousands. Farm operations were neglected in many locations, and with pick and shovel, the farmer went out to search for the gold that was sure to be hid among the rocks on his place.

It was a short time that gold had been discovered in harden county. The press of the country took it up, and the farther from home the news reached, the more marvelous were the stories told and instead of having an Eldora here in Hardin County, it was certain that is was a veritable Eldorado.

Soon the prairie schooners wended their way hither, and during the summer it is estimated that between two and three thousand persons visited the supposed mines, coming here with hopes and leaving very much disappointed. Some would spend a few days in the neighborhood, while others would not remain an hour. Often, it was stated that on arriving within a few miles of the place, the men would stop to inquire the way, and ask after the prospects of the mines. When told that there was probably no gold to be found, they would drive on, swearing that the people here did not want any one to come, but desired to keep all the gold for themselves. On returning with blasted hopes they never thought to stop and apologized for their rude conduct.

Interesting. I grew up in that area and I'd never heard this story.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Other counties (like Fayette) had flecks of Gold too-love to write a book about this stuff.

And that's near where I went to college...goddamn, where is my share of all this gold?! I spent the first 22 years of my life essentially sitting on a gold mine and here I am working away like some broke *******.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I've always been intrigued by the Bowen Collegiate Institute campus in Hopkinton, specifically the obelisk memorializing student service during the American Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenox_College

I'm not vouching for accuracy of details because it's been some time since I visited, but early in the Civil War, something like 24 of 25 male students at Bowen Collegiate Institute, led by the college President, enlisted in the Union Army as 90 Day Volunteers; a high percentage of them never returned to campus. I think it's a fascinating story that I've never seen properly presented...

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Peter and NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I've always been intrigued by the Bowen Collegiate Institute campus in Hopkinton, specifically the obelisk memorializing student service during the American Civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenox_College

I'm not vouching for accuracy of details because it's been some time since I visited, but early in the Civil War, something like 24 of 25 male students at Bowen Collegiate Institute, led by the college President, enlisted in the Union Army as 90 Day Volunteers; a high percentage of them never returned to campus. I think it's a fascinating story that I've never seen properly presented...
I know this college as it was in a list of closed colleges but not the rest of the story-thanks!: https://www.lostcolleges.com/lost-colleges-by-state

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron