My car is leaking badly -- opinions?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My car today started leaking what looks like both oil and fuel, bad enough that I could see it visibly dripping under the car after shutting it off for about 5-7 minutes.

Another symptom is that to start it, I have to "give it a little gas" while the engine is turning over or it won't start (may or may not be related). It's been that way for 2+ years, but just within the last 2 days, noticeably worse.

Any guess what would cause that leaking issue, and, is it time to trade it in? 2005 (or 6?) Buick Rendezvous with about 140K miles.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My car today started leaking what looks like both oil and fuel, bad enough that I could see it visibly dripping under the car after shutting it off for about 5-7 minutes.

Another symptom is that to start it, I have to "give it a little gas" why the engine is turning over or it won't start (may or may not be related)

Any guess what would cause that leaking issue, and, is it time to trade it in? 2005 (or 6?) Buick Rendevouz with about 140K miles.

Sounds like the thing has served its tour.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
RIP. Time to get a used mini van if you want to follow the CF guidelines. Personally I would go grab one of those new Wranglers with the automatic top for the summer. Perfect for summertime pimpin.

My MIL just totaled her fifth car in roughly ten years...

...and went and bought a new CR-V XLE.

I have no idea which insurance company is dumb enough to let her rob it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My MIL just totaled her fifth car in roughly ten years...

...and went and bought a new CR-V XLE.

I have no idea which insurance company is dumb enough to let her rob it.

If she's totaled 5 cars in 10 years it's more likely the insurance company is robbing her just for the permission to keep a slip of paper that says she has the most minimal coverage available on the car.

Reactions: brett108

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Describe badly, can you sit there and watch it drip? All the time or just when running or right afterwards?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
HJ0W5Mb.jpg

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have no idea about the gas leak, but the oil leak could be a bad oil drain plug gasket. I had that happen to my car a few months ago. Pretty much the cheapest oil leak fix you can have.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Another symptom is that to start it, I have to "give it a little gas" while the engine is turning over or it won't start (may or may not be related). It's been that way for 2+ years, but just within the last 2 days, noticeably worse.

Any guess what would cause that leaking issue, and, is it time to trade it in? 2005 (or 6?) Buick Rendezvous with about 140K miles.

Bummer - I'd get it in to the shop for some diagnostics, if you can't figure out where it's leaking and what kind of fluid it's puking.

in the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for deer and little old ladies crossing the road to hit and hopefully total your car.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Is it possible to take a picture so we could better diagnose the situation? Sorry, super amateur shade tree mechanic here.

I'm still on a high from changing the rear pinion seal on my f150 the other day. First time taking off a drive shaft on a vehicle myself. A lot of these jobs are more intimidating than they are actually challenging.

Reactions: besserheimerphat