Anyone know this slow pitch softball player?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I played in the lowest level league in Ankeny a few years ago and I had two college baseball players on my team and we lost every game and got 10 runned most of the time. I quit and haven't been back.

One year the university of Okoboji was having a softball tournament and had a team cancel on them at the last minute, so they needed one more team to fill out the brackets. The guy running the tournament approached me to see if I could organize a team at the last minute. Now I hadn't played softball for several years and had only played league softball one other time, but I said yes just to help him out. He waived the entrance fee for us, which was way too much for me to pay anyway.

I asked a bunch of kids from some area high school baseball teams if they wanted to join our team and wound him getting about 9-10 guys to sign on. One of those guys dropped out at the last minute, so I wound up having to play just to fill out the team. The only practice we got was playing catch before the start of our first game, cause this team was literally put together in like a day and a half.

I'd like to say that we went on to win the whole @$%! thing, but the reality was that we got blasted in both games we played in this 16-team tournament. Seems like every player on both the other teams we played had more power than anyone on our team and they just hit home run after home run. We were run-ruled in five innings in the first game, but put up a pretty good fight in the second and were trailing 10-7 in the 6th when they erupted for 7 more runs and run ruled us again.

The only other time I played softball in a league setting was when someone asked me if I could fill in on their team for someone who couldn't make it. We played a double header that day and I was proud that I actually went 4-6 at the plate on the day and on one of those outs, I was robbed by a diving catch from an outfielder. I could always hit, but other aspects of the game were a little more difficult for me.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!! We had a rec D League team for West Des Moines or Waukee 3 years ago. Our tallest dude was 6'3 and it's the same thing you are saying. We went 0-8 losing by an average of probably 30 points per game. We aren't terrible either lol. Actually the UNI Bohannon played against 1 game. Wasn't even fun.

It's been a number of years since I played league softball here in Arlington, but back when I did, the city would move teams to a tougher league if they were found to be sandbagging after a couple of games. It seems that every year, we would end up with a bye or two because a sandbagging team got promoted up to a higher league. The city would also review the roster submitted during team registration, and would move teams that they determined to be sandbagging up to higher leagues before the season started.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Having done both Ankeny and WDM leagues here, the WDM definitely seems more casual/rec-friendly. The Ankeny one felt super tryhard. Basketball league I did in Ankeny didn't seem quite as bad, but still had it's questionable moments/teams.

Haven't personally seen any officials getting tackled, though. Arguments, some. Pushed over? That's new.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Want to take it up a notch? There are wood bat baseball leagues. They have regular, over 30 and over 40 divisions etc. I was asked to play in the over 30 one several years ago. I went to one game, nope.

There were several guys there that had played A, AA and even AAA ball. They were pissed they didn't take the next step in their careers and every game WAS game 7 of the WS to them.

Crazy.

Hey I played in one of these leagues for 7 years in Denver. FYI, most the guys i played with played college baseball and higher, but weren't over the top. We would usually show up to our games super hungover, get through the 7 or 9 innings and move on. We played in this league because if you were any good at baseball you HATE softball guy.

I played 18+ and 25+ and quit playing when a kid who played single A struck me out on three pitches and I don't think I saw a single one. Getting old is rough, but I had some of the most fun in my post college life playing in those wood bat leagues.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
One year the university of Okoboji was having a softball tournament and had a team cancel on them at the last minute, so they needed one more team to fill out the brackets. The guy running the tournament approached me to see if I could organize a team at the last minute. Now I hadn't played softball for several years and had only played league softball one other time, but I said yes just to help him out. He waived the entrance fee for us, which was way too much for me to pay anyway.

I asked a bunch of kids from some area high school baseball teams if they wanted to join our team and wound him getting about 9-10 guys to sign on. One of those guys dropped out at the last minute, so I wound up having to play just to fill out the team. The only practice we got was playing catch before the start of our first game, cause this team was literally put together in like a day and a half.

I'd like to say that we went on to win the whole @$%! thing, but the reality was that we got blasted in both games we played in this 16-team tournament. Seems like every player on both the other teams we played had more power than anyone on our team and they just hit home run after home run. We were run-ruled in five innings in the first game, but put up a pretty good fight in the second and were trailing 10-7 in the 6th when they erupted for 7 more runs and run ruled us again.

The only other time I played softball in a league setting was when someone asked me if I could fill in on their team for someone who couldn't make it. We played a double header that day and I was proud that I actually went 4-6 at the plate on the day and on one of those outs, I was robbed by a diving catch from an outfielder. I could always hit, but other aspects of the game were a little more difficult for me.
Seems like you are BiPolar

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I'm an umpire and I've worked with other umpires who I know can be jerks. I heard a few talking about how they were going to "toss someone today" at the beginning of a girls softball tournament. And sure enough, he tossed a few people that weekend. Usually these are the guys that are going to flip out if anyone questions their calls.

So I know it's not always just the player/coach that can be a problem. But you have to handle things correctly if you have an ump you want to complain about. There are plenty of guys I know who've been asked not to return to specific ball parks. Mostly because they are terrible umps, but sometimes because they reacted poorly to being questioned.
Are umping girls softball this weekend? In Ankeny? 11U? :)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm sorry. As a coach, I'm not supposed to encourage any behavior like this. But I freaking LOVE this.
I can support this take. I’d lose my mind if a kid did this but if ur in the stands you can’t help but appreciate the comedy of this on some level. A kid in my grade did something similar to this in little league and was a freakin legend that whole summer.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

Nice story

• Disagree
Reactions: dosry5

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I play softball at Raccoon and they do a nice job of load leveling after the spring session. There's a little chirping on most nights, but nothing both teams don't self govern.

I played at Raccoon for 3 years and never had any issues out there. Everyone seems respectful and are having fun even at one of the higher levels. I cant say the same for Ankeny and DM, would never play at either one of those places again. Every team has at least 3 or 4 "softball guys" on the team.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
I played at Raccoon for 3 years and never had any issues out there. Everyone seems respectful and are having fun even at one of the higher levels. I cant say the same for Ankeny and DM, would never play at either one of those places again. Every team has at least 3 or 4 "softball guys" on the team.
I've always wondered how the dudes out at Walker Johnson are. You are totally right though. Most people, even in the higher leagues, tend to take Raccoon as a beer league. I dig it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Are umping girls softball this weekend? In Ankeny? 11U? :)

I actually don't have anything scheduled this weekend. I'll probably get called tomorrow by someone who needs more umps.

I should reach out and start doing more games. I've been pretty lazy this year but I've had a lot of stuff with the kids and sometimes I just need a weekend to veg out.

I did 10 and 12 yr old all star baseball the last three days in a row. I'm feeling my age today. Thank goodness for ibuprofen.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I can support this take. I’d lose my mind if a kid did this but if ur in the stands you can’t help but appreciate the comedy of this on some level. A kid in my grade did something similar to this in little league and was a freakin legend that whole summer.

Honestly, even as an ump I can see the humor in this. I've never had to toss a kid, only coaches/parents, and even then I haven't tossed many.

But if I had to toss this kid and he reacted like that, I'd have to stifle a laugh.

The thing I actually like about this video the most is that the coach immediately laid into the kid. Kids make mistakes sometimes, but that's an opportunity for the coach to teach them to do things the right way.

The worst is when the coaches are just as bad or worse than the players. There's often that one kid who is a cocky back talking little ****, and nine times out of ten, his dad is the coach and he's an even bigger d-bag who taught his kid by example. Then he flips out when his kid gets tossed for being a prick.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The thing I actually like about this video the most is that the coach immediately laid into the kid. Kids make mistakes sometimes, but that's an opportunity for the coach to teach them to do things the right way.
That was my first thought as well - good job coach. He didn't even let him get back to the dugout.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We had a coach start laying into us at a youth soccer game a couple weeks ago. We were watching a rule being applied incorrectly and we were talking through it with the official before a decision on whether it was a PK or a free kick moved just outside the box. It isn't really the refs fault when the governing body makes rules adjustments for U9-U10 and then different rules adjustments for U11 and then plays standard rules for U12 and up. The ref was applying the U10 rule in a U11 game. We were talking calmly to the center and the other coach started yelling at us and saying "I'm not going to fight with you about it." My response was "I'm not even talking to you about it, we are conversing with the referee so we can get the rule right." We quickly consulted the rules on line to confirm what we were saying and got it quickly resolved. About 10 minutes later during the game the other coach came over to me, apologized and shook my hand. He said that the rule had gone against them (incorrectly) before in that same tournament and he was frustrated but it was no excuse. No harm, we all get a little worked up sometimes. I'm just glad he came to his senses and it didn't go any further.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've always wondered how the dudes out at Walker Johnson are. You are totally right though. Most people, even in the higher leagues, tend to take Raccoon as a beer league. I dig it.

I can't imagine its any better than Des Moines or Ankeny, from what I've heard thats where all the top teams play in the area. I subbed one night at Walker-Johnston, told the guy Im a left fielder so they stuck me in at 3rd base, took a shot right off the kneecap from some guy built like Aaron Judge and never returned to that place.

The best time I ever had playing softball was at The Sands playing in one of their lower tier leagues. Everyone was super chill out there having a good time instead of taking every game so seriously like those other leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclonpediaJoe