Haliburton - USA Basketball's U19 Tryouts

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Man, starting to worry we will only have Tyrese for two years.

The sucks for us -- but wonderful for the young man.

In a way it does, but if you're recruiting well, and developing well, early entrants are to be expected, and that definitely gives us something to sell on the recruiting trail (so that we can do that again and again).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Man, starting to worry we will only have Tyrese for two years.

The sucks for us -- but wonderful for the young man.

Likely repeating here but a guy like him you know he's going to do what he can for ISU while there and it's easy to be excited for him if he were to go early.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In a way it does, but if you're recruiting well, and developing well, early entrants are to be expected, and that definitely gives us something to sell on the recruiting trail (so that we can do that again and again).

Likely repeating here but a guy like him you know he's going to do what he can for ISU while there and it's easy to be excited for him if he were to go early.

Yeah, not lamenting it at all. I would be super happy for Tyrese to realize his dreams, and it would be a very nice feather in Prohm's cap for future recruits.

Taking a bean pole like Tyrese and making him into an NBA player is a heck of a development story, too, that we should appreciate about the coaching staff.

I still want to enjoy him in Ames, though. He is the one guy of the "new era" so far who has the personality and attitude to match some of the Melvin, Georges, Naz, and Monté types of the last era of giving the team a leader and face and a hero the fan base can root for. Seeing him go early is great, but that does rob us of that fun. This is on top of him likely being the best player on the team starting now and through until he goes to the next level.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, not lamenting it at all. I would be super happy for Tyrese to realize his dreams, and it would be a very nice feather in Prohm's cap for future recruits.

Taking a bean pole like Tyrese and making him into an NBA player is a heck of a development story, too, that we should appreciate about the coaching staff.

I still want to enjoy him in Ames, though. He is the one guy of the "new era" so far who has the personality and attitude to match some of the Melvin, Georges, Naz, and Monté types of the last era of giving the team a leader and face and a hero the fan base can root for. Seeing him go early is great, but that does rob us of that fun. This is on top of him likely being the best player on the team starting now and through until he goes to the next level.

As a fan, I would definitely prefer having everyone locked in for four years so you really get to know them. Guys like Melvin and Georges are always a level above because of that.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
As a fan, I would definitely prefer having everyone locked in for four years so you really get to know them. Guys like Melvin and Georges are always a level above because of that.
Having a great player for 4 years is pretty much becoming a thing of the past, especially given the coming expansion of the G-League so that each NBA team has their own G-League team. Enjoy the great ones while you can...

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Having a great player for 4 years is pretty much becoming a thing of the past, especially given the coming expansion of the G-League so that each NBA team has their own G-League team. Enjoy the great ones while you can...
Generally you have to have a great player who is "NBA flawed". Georges is a good example who is a great college player but who is somewhat a man without a position in the NBA.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Generally you have to have a great player who is "NBA flawed". Georges is a good example who is a great college player but who is somewhat a man without a position in the NBA.

As the hoary cliché goes nowadays, the NBA cares less and less about formal positions nowadays. The ideas of an exclusive PG or C are pretty much obsolete now, they "round off" the definition of positions into PG-SG combo guards or simply just "big men" PF-C types, and even the 2-4 positions are blurrier nowadays between one another compared to the past.

I think Georges situation obviously comes down to limited athleticism and being a liability on defense in college, never mind in the NBA. I think you need a guy who cannot satisfactorily answering these questions, to re-frame your "NBA flawed" point...

-- Is he a good enough athlete to compete at this level? Is he above the Mendoza Line?
-- Who can he guard? If he cannot guard anybody, then we have limited use for him.

If he is a no on both or either of those, then he is behind the Eight Ball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As the hoary cliché goes nowadays, the NBA cares less and less about formal positions nowadays. The ideas of an exclusive PG or C are pretty much obsolete now, they "round off" the definition of positions into PG-SG combo guards or simply just "big men" PF-C types, and even the 2-4 positions are blurrier nowadays between one another compared to the past.

I think Georges situation obviously comes down to limited athleticism and being a liability on defense in college, never mind in the NBA. I think you need a guy who cannot satisfactorily answering these questions, to re-frame your "NBA flawed" point...

-- Is he a good enough athlete to compete at this level? Is he above the Mendoza Line?
-- Who can he guard? If he cannot guard anybody, then we have limited use for him.

If he is a no on both or either of those, then he is behind the Eight Ball.
Yeah, you have to be able to guard a position or you are NBA flawed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Likely jumping ahead on it but I think he's got a chance basketball version of Montgomery in that he can set a trend of 'this is how it needs to be around here' just with a different demeanor.