Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When DH still officiated high school baseball and softball, I'd occasionally ride along and watch the games. Loved to listen to the fans in the stands -- I tried to sit behind home plate and partway up. Needed to see the ball crossing the plate as much as possible so I could smile or roll my eyes or whatever as I listened to fan remarks. Of course I was always listening for the "that guy's really good" comments, but they were few and far between. No big issues or dust ups. It was fun, but I'm not sure how much fun some of today's games would be.
My college bf was an intramurals ref for football. I used to go to his games and we would go out afterward. At first I just stood on the sidelines, but other people kept asking which team I was supporting, and when I would say "I'm the ref's girlfriend" they would proceed to tell me what an ******* he was. Fun! He taught me how to fill out the stats sheet, and from then on, my reply was always "I'm just here to keep the score sheet". Then they would ignore me. Win!

Reactions: oldman

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Now that you got your fun fact Tuesday..........I see it's supposed to be warm this weekend. I think we should go find strawberries if any are left (funeral last weekend took up that opportunity) and take little man to the splash pad. Kid loves his water!
Should be good. Berry picking just started at the berry farm my son works at.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have occasionally had someone ask me which team I was supporting when I watch my daughter ref soccer. I usually just say "the yellow team" and watch them be confused for a while until they figure it out.

youth%20referees.jpg

Reactions: SaraV and wxman1

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Optimal height is 2-1/2 to 3", according to Rudy Verbik, who ran Rudy's Sales & Service in FD for many years. He was my lawn go-to guy, and his advice was sound. Keep it a bit longer - protects the roots, helps hold moisture, shades possible weed growth.

I get a kick out of these folks who have the Marine buzz cut look on their lawns. (Apologies to any of you who mow that way, I'm not being judgmental.)
In my Junior High Power Mechanics class, one of our projects was to get price quotes on certain things from local small engine repair shops. I called Rudy's to get a price quote on a hone cylinder. I didn't realize that honing was a service and not a part. I'm sure Rudy hung up the phone and referred to me as a dumb kid (and rightfully so). That's my experience with Rudy's.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't tell Mrs. Velo. That is a pic I got off the interwebs of youth soccer refs in Arizona. :)

Which one were you thinking looked like mine?

Wasn’t sure but thought the far left had a slight college velo look. Don’t know what the daughter looks like, maybe it’s way off. Realized when at orientation that this is 25 years since graduation so I could very well just be off.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Now that you got your fun fact Tuesday..........I see it's supposed to be warm this weekend. I think we should go find strawberries if any are left (funeral last weekend took up that opportunity) and take little man to the splash pad. Kid loves his water!

Should be good. berry picking just started at the berry farm my son works at.

Here's the entire harvest from the wild strawberries that volunteered in my yard and I now maintain as ground cover by my white pines. That's 1/4 cup!

xHb7b95L72lYdR9KsDvDtWDvkgDY2N5miUtpfinM5Ks5vgPgoRC9bTHaSltuJFozbbtJL8Qn9JOHUyaVFMt8uLiNgqpzz8MC3QBu3_8I4DgUeCegHWoLn1606JHIAn0UQkSN6PJtw06iBVHl7lI8ywpRo7iCoCtRceliDpSpekI1tojSQA79yEtWLFc_2rFtge1wO7JeD4ezF83uYoT8bec4rCxvLmGUi58vujlz1gBeidL2u0jUcWdeQBQWTzdOhrrLZCAm-XCHf3QOfmGhzLrNtYRdxATUioNRg3l6oX2eK8wkQPCuQ6A8amh_wDQ72TnowtswTykNMMxVZjdLWUbWEOGAkMabj30-QXKFMGqdRFQpJ03l0FD3-U1ojuPc38XFqK7PwEPmavt1RLFyd1M2GDKNf56ekbV7YidPUGsqv9H9RFit9FuqnRrnA9XUOWQDyWRAlUB1DXTlEzf6iJgHtYrhI0u7Ypbd_o0tWlClRFx8A3zS1Kup9tf_uwA_Uyzx5kjhQvSmeR7Up3ExdpBZ9sWdqDIx8AJG2kNVm1FGl-jRyLC4nL2Z_nMjA9NEpoYkDTeyLU3oHbFt6q74OcBgjZGYNSBgDNuYRSXBAPfu7e8icraWwohRdlPFpzLUCniw3gHpSFGktfOIglPpn1PgZ9Y8CsU=w513-h625-no

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Today has been a really great day. I woke up after about 7.5 hours of (slightly interrupted) sleep, feeling alert and ready to start the day. I did some weeding & some repotting of a few plants, then cleaned up and went in to Ames to run some errands. Came home, had supper with Lew & the grandson, watched a little TV...

and I FEEL GREAT! Not tired, not achy, not itchy...

I'm a happy camper. :)
This is great news! Glad to hear you're doing better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here's the entire harvest from the wild strawberries that volunteered in my yard and I now maintain as ground cover by my white pines. That's 1/4 cup!

xHb7b95L72lYdR9KsDvDtWDvkgDY2N5miUtpfinM5Ks5vgPgoRC9bTHaSltuJFozbbtJL8Qn9JOHUyaVFMt8uLiNgqpzz8MC3QBu3_8I4DgUeCegHWoLn1606JHIAn0UQkSN6PJtw06iBVHl7lI8ywpRo7iCoCtRceliDpSpekI1tojSQA79yEtWLFc_2rFtge1wO7JeD4ezF83uYoT8bec4rCxvLmGUi58vujlz1gBeidL2u0jUcWdeQBQWTzdOhrrLZCAm-XCHf3QOfmGhzLrNtYRdxATUioNRg3l6oX2eK8wkQPCuQ6A8amh_wDQ72TnowtswTykNMMxVZjdLWUbWEOGAkMabj30-QXKFMGqdRFQpJ03l0FD3-U1ojuPc38XFqK7PwEPmavt1RLFyd1M2GDKNf56ekbV7YidPUGsqv9H9RFit9FuqnRrnA9XUOWQDyWRAlUB1DXTlEzf6iJgHtYrhI0u7Ypbd_o0tWlClRFx8A3zS1Kup9tf_uwA_Uyzx5kjhQvSmeR7Up3ExdpBZ9sWdqDIx8AJG2kNVm1FGl-jRyLC4nL2Z_nMjA9NEpoYkDTeyLU3oHbFt6q74OcBgjZGYNSBgDNuYRSXBAPfu7e8icraWwohRdlPFpzLUCniw3gHpSFGktfOIglPpn1PgZ9Y8CsU=w513-h625-no

Is the taste really intense? I have a building with a green roof that includes some wild strawberries. The fruit is about the size of a small blueberry but they are so intense it is like someone took all of the taste from a domestic strawberry and squeezed it into the smaller berry.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wasn’t sure but thought the far left had a slight college velo look. Don’t know what the daughter looks like, maybe it’s way off. Realized when at orientation that this is 25 years since graduation so I could very well just be off.
I guess I could see it a little bit. She's a blondie, though.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The "young Velo" saga reminds me of a nice Guard story.
I was tabbed by this Wyoming colonel to work as his liaison officer for an AT period, mostly because I was present and asked him a question. Turned out to be his last AT due to reaching his mandatory retirement date prior to reaching his first star.

So, he had us stop at a bar on his way in from his last trip to the field. I nursed a 7 Up while he took part in an extended discussion with the young woman tending the bar. He looked really uncomfortable the whole time, and got more and more pale as they talked.

I asked the Captain with me, who'd known this guy a long time, what was up. He said, just look. After a bit of back and forth, you could see some common features.

Colonel had a 2-week stand there at an AT 20+ years before. He was just finding out about his daughter for the first time.

One more reason not to bring me to bars, I guess.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Is the taste really intense? I have a building with a green roof that includes some wild strawberries. The fruit is about the size of a small blueberry but they are so intense it is like someone took all of the taste from a domestic strawberry and squeezed it into the smaller berry.

Yup, not much bigger than a plump raisin but really flavorful.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thinking I should set aside 15 minutes to mow the lawn this afternoon. Maybe throw in an extra five minutes and put in the new air filter I bought. :rolleyes:

ISU happy hour only 1.5 miles from my digs at 5:30. Don't want to tire myself out to much. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.