Irish FB record vs. Big 12 teams

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://slapthesign.com/2019/06/25/notre-dame-football-irish-record-vs-every-big-12-team/

Who are the four current Big 12 teams who have never played Notre Dame? Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

Of that group, only Oklahoma State surprises me. The other three were never consistently relevant. Now, however, it would be fun to see the Irish square off with Iowa State and Matt Campbell — one of the hottest coaching names in the college game.

Additionally, it’s a little sad that Bill Snyder never got a chance to face the Fighting Irish.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Well.... I guess we are not the only school that struggles with off-season material to publish. Nice fluff to pump up their already over inflated sense of greatness.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Screw No Dignity. I hope they lose every game. Doesn't get more pretensious than Touchdown Jesus.
I'm a self professed Fighting Irish hater. However I had a chance to tour the stadium and walk around the campus as part of a conference I attended. I have to admit that touchdown Jesus was pretty cool (it has nothing to do with football, it's just that you can see it from a good portion of the stadium) and to see all of the history there was something I enjoyed - especially the lockerroom. As a diehard Cyclone I was still the only attendee to refuse to get my picture going down the stairs and slapping this sign, though.

i

If you make it to that campus, I would say make sure you visit the basilica. It is gorgeous.
220px-Sacred_Heart_basilica%2C_Interior_2.jpg

One thing that I definitely didn't like was while I was there they were tearing down their graduation set and tearing out the natural turf in the stadium to put in artificial turf. Blasphemy!

EDIT: Just learned this...
https://slapthesign.com/2019/04/01/notre-dame-stadium-switching-back-to-grass-for-2019-season/

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
https://slapthesign.com/2019/06/25/notre-dame-football-irish-record-vs-every-big-12-team/

Who are the four current Big 12 teams who have never played Notre Dame? Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

Of that group, only Oklahoma State surprises me. The other three were never consistently relevant. Now, however, it would be fun to see the Irish square off with Iowa State and Matt Campbell — one of the hottest coaching names in the college game.

Additionally, it’s a little sad that Bill Snyder never got a chance to face the Fighting Irish.

So just simply playing against ND is some type of badge of honor that we haven’t “accomplished?”

No thanks, I have absolutely zero interest in playainf against the arrogant and pretentious fan base and school of ND.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So just simply playing against ND is some type of badge of honor that we haven’t “accomplished?”

No thanks, I have absolutely zero interest in playainf against the arrogant and pretentious fan base and school of ND.
Oh, I don't know. I think it would be great to go into their stadium and kick their asses.

On the stadium tour they still talk about the 1953 Iowa game over half a decade ago. It is mostly a defense of the tactic of faking injury (twice) in the game leading to both Irish scores - once as time was expiring before the half and again at the end of the game.

Last edited:

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Sometimes I'm convinced it's 90% Tavern Domers.

Even that number might be low. My wife's family is catholic and they seem to have this obligation to cheer for ND. I suspect there are many others that do the same despite not stepping into a church for decades.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never understood why so many Catholics are Fighting Irish fans. I mean, I get the Catholic connection. But it's not like those guys are Creighton fans or Villanova fans or . . .

It's probably mainly because I grew up in the late 80's/early 90's. That team had been really good, Crucifixes aside.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The pastor at my in-laws' church (in Iowa) refers to Notre Dame as God's team in his homily or other comments from the pulpit at least a few times per year.

We also had a Catholic family at my high school that had a half dozen kids that all went to Loras College but were huge ND fans.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've never understood why so many Catholics are Fighting Irish fans. I mean, I get the Catholic connection. But it's not like those guys are Creighton fans or Villanova fans or . . .

It's probably mainly because I grew up in the late 80's/early 90's. That team had been really good, Crucifixes aside.
Every single ND home game was on national TV since 1991 (NBC contract). No team should have gotten that kind of exposure when no one else was getting it.

This was the birth of my hate for ND football.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
ND's my second favorite team after the Cyclones, of course. I've seen games in South Bend and remember many playbacks with Lindsey Nelson calls from the '60s.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron