Hunter Dekkers Commits

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
They were taking one QB and already had a kid offered and committed. Not sure what people don't get about that.
Putting all your eggs in 1 basket (Deuce Hogan) still, huh? You'd think TOE would have learned by now seeing how they're going into their 4th year under Stanley and he hasn't lived up to the hype that was placed on him (McShay had him as a top 3 QB last year). Especially a kid like Deckerrs who blew up out of nowhere recruitingwise this summer, who's family is lifelong TOE fans, to not even consider offering the kid is......I'll let yall fill in the blank. o_O

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Putting all your eggs in 1 basket (Deuce Hogan) still, huh? You'd think TOE would have learned by now seeing how they're going into their 4th year under Stanley and he hasn't lived up to the hype that was placed on him (McShay had him as a top 3 QB last year). Especially a kid like Deckerrs who blew up out of nowhere recruitingwise this summer, who's family is lifelong TOE fans, to not even consider offering the kid is......I'll let yall fill in the blank. o_O

They will have 4 QBs on the roster. They will have Petras, Mansell, Padilla and Hogan. I'd say 4 is enough, and I can't recall a time when they had more than that on scholarship at one time. How many will the Clones have on schollies at the start of 2020 season?

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
They will have 4 QBs on the roster. They will have Petras, Mansell, Padilla and Hogan. I'd say 4 is enough, and I can't recall a time when they had more than that on scholarship at one time. How many will the Clones have on schollies at the start of 2020 season?

5, but since ISU doesn’t keep 2 punters on scholly like Iowa, that is a fine number.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
5 - Purdy (JR), Mitchell (RS Soph), Dean (RS Fresh), Baumann (True Fresh) Deckerr (True Fresh). Mitchell & Deckerr have the ability to play multiple positions if that ends up being the team's end need but both are being given the opportunity to be quarterbacks first.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
5 - Purdy (JR), Mitchell (RS Soph), Dean (RS Fresh), Baumann (True Fresh) Deckerr (True Fresh). Mitchell & Deckerr have the ability to play multiple positions if that ends up being the team's end need but both are being given the opportunity to be quarterbacks first.
And both deckerr and mitchell are elite 11 quarterbacks so they have the arm.

Reactions: Cytown12

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Based on what? Athletic ability doesn't guarantee that a guy can simply switch positions and be successful, especially if he's been playing QB for years. Lanning was an outlier.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Based on what? Athletic ability doesn't guarantee that a guy can simply switch positions and be successful, especially if he's been playing QB for years. Lanning was an outlier.

Lanning and....

Forgot about Flynn. Oh, and that Darius Reynolds guy wasn't too bad either.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Lanning and....

Forgot about Flynn. Oh, and that Darius Reynolds guy wasn't too bad either.

I don't have any memory of Reynolds being recruited as a QB. Flynn is the last QB for ISU that successfully made the transition to another position and that would have been what, 2004?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Pretty sure Ellis Hobbs switched sides of the ball after his freshman year from RB to DB.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The guy Sage beat out for the starting job switched to LB and was solid.....Derrick Johnson? Something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Five QBs is not too many, especially when 1-2 of them are probably redshirting (and running the scout team). I'd say that's about the perfect number for teams that run the QB some. Six is probably too many and four, well, you better be happy with your walk-ons if injuries pile up.

The thing that I like about Dekkers is that we can bring back the Lanning package. That was extremely effective picking up short yardage first downs. Bouman is going to be good, but he ran a 5.25. Zone read is off the table with him in there. Also, having good QB depth should allow Re-Al Mitchell to play some slot WR without being so concerned about injury to your backup QB. He has elite speed and quickness and it would be a shame to sit him on the bench for 4 years.

Not to mention, QBs transfer ALL THE TIME. We had two transfer just last year. I have zero issues with building up some depth in the room. When Purdy graduates (or declares if he gets that chance) and they name a starter, there's a good chance that someone transfers. That's just the way it goes these days. It's Campbell's job to keep recruiting over the guys already on the roster.

Help Support Us

Become a patron