Nebraska High School monthly drug testing adding Nicotine to banned substances

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wonder if eggplant could set off the test. A portion is only 1% of the nicotine in a cigarette and it's not like many American high school kids are even eating eggplant but it would be kind of funny like Elaine's poppy seed bagels. I know it would be my first excuse in a pinch...I had eggplant parmesan last night!

Tomatoes also contain nicotine. Remember “Tomacco” from the Simpsons?

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
personaly i think the kids who dont test positive for drugs should get in trouble. these nerds need a kick in the b-hind. in high school i smoked, snortted, drank, huffed whatever i could get my hands on. made ME the man i am today

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I find it hard to believe a public school can completely ban an otherwise legal activity, even if it's only legal for 18 year olds. On school grounds, sure. But not everywhere. It's not the same as an employer or even something you agree too for extracurricular activities.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed the detail that the ban only.applies to extracurricular activities.

Yeah the ban only applies to people doing extra stuff. If you want to barely show up for school and barely graduate, you get to do what you want.

A school being able to ban something otherwise completely legal is stupid. What is more stupid is that the only kids who are banned from it are the ones "performing" for the school.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Most kids today are hooked on caffeine and sugar. Good thing they don't screen them for Red Bull, or one of the other thousand "energy drinks" that are out there. Beer is healthier than that crap.

I'm not sure smoking isn't healthier than that stuff.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Chewing probably does get rid of a little bit of water weight. We'd all suck on a jolly rancher in the bus to the meet to get saliva going. I'm not sure how tobacco might affect you in that tired weakened state before you get back to fully hydrated but I've never been a tobacco user.

My English teacher once caught a glimpse of me sketching in my notebook (always been an artist) during class and tried to have an intervention to save me, she was just being sweet. I had all these detailed drawings of pizza, a huge turkey, burgers, fries instead of taking notes on whatever we were covering...

We used chewing tobacco because it was a major appetite suppressant not to actually lose weight. That’s hilarious about your drawing though.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
If you choose to get stupid with it, yes. When you make the switch, they ask how much you typically smoke and then recommend a content level. You don't get anything from increased nicotine content except increasingly crappy taste.

It's a great way to quit smoking by switching, and then dialing down the nicotine content.

Yep, could be if it is another tool for the purpose. By the way I smoked for 41 years. Tried to quit many many times one time for a whole year, so that makes it 40. Might have helped me quit sooner.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Our high school football team took things pretty seriously. It was odd - the wildest partiers, craziest guys, tough dudes and cool dudes....they would whoop your *** if you were drinking or smoking during the season. They adhered to the no drug thing they signed at the beginning of the season to the letter, and they made sure everyone else did too.

After the season was over, those same guys were the ones who would get your beer for you on the weekend.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Our high school football team took things pretty seriously. It was odd - the wildest partiers, craziest guys, tough dudes and cool dudes....they would whoop your *** if you were drinking or smoking during the season. They adhered to the no drug thing they signed at the beginning of the season to the letter, and they made sure everyone else did too.

After the season was over, those same guys were the ones who would get your beer for you on the weekend.

Did you hate Coach Kilmer, too? Or did you think he got a raw deal?