Anyone know this slow pitch softball player?

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
This guy probably rode the pine in HS because "His coach and his family didn't get along, and had a personal vendetta against him" thus keeping him out of the major leagues.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
I enjoy 16 inch softball
tenor.gif

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I still umpire slow pitch (I gave up Fast Pitch) and the reason the sport is dying is because of crap like that. Sandbagging to play in lower leagues so you can dominate and then just being an ass the entire time.

Parks/Rec office: "The lowest league plays on Wednesdays."
Manager: "My team can only play on Wednesdays."
Parks/Rec office: "Your team hasn't lost a game in that league in 3 years."
Manager: "Yeah, I know...but Wednesday is really the only night that my guys can make it."
Manager: *shows up to C4/C5 ball with team full of C1/C2 players*

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
I played in the lowest level league in Ankeny a few years ago and I had two college baseball players on my team and we lost every game and got 10 runned most of the time. I quit and haven't been back.

That has been my experience in both softball and basketball in ankeny. We stopped fielding teams because no one was interested in playing when the games weren't even competitive. There are definitely too many teams that sandbag, 1 game we actually had a shot at winning; so we purposely walked a guy that had hit 2 home runs already and he started freaking out cussing and saying he wanted to wait in the parking lot for the pitcher. It was insane, we still ended up losing like 25-23 but my god it is the lowest level option available and people still acted like that.

In basketball our tallest player in the rec d league (lowest level) was 6'4, we played 3 teams who had starting lineups with no one under 6'4. I get height isn't everything in basketball but in rec d league it makes a huge difference.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I still umpire slow pitch (I gave up Fast Pitch) and the reason the sport is dying is because of crap like that. Sandbagging to play in lower leagues so you can dominate and then just being an ass the entire time.

Waterloo and Cedar Falls basically went to a zero tolerance policy with arguing about 4 years go and it's really worked. We've weeded out the true ******** and rec teams come out and just have fun and drink beer. It's worked well.
I’ve heard good things about the CF leagues but I have yet to really have a good experience in the waterloo league. We’ve played in it the last three or four years and average maybe 2 wins every year. We’re mostly just there to have fun but continuously play teams that take it way more serious than us (take walk after walk if our pitcher is struggling even if we’re already down double digits. Yell at umps. Etc.) it’s just not fun and I think this is our last year even though a couple umps have told us they want us to stick around cause they need more young people. We even “stacked” a team last year for an 8 week fall league and 7 of our 10 players were all conference baseball players and we still only went like 2-6 in the lowest league

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I’ve heard good things about the CF leagues but I have yet to really have a good experience in the waterloo league. We’ve played in it the last three or four years and average maybe 2 wins every year. We’re mostly just there to have fun but continuously play teams that take it way more serious than us (take walk after walk if our pitcher is struggling even if we’re already down double digits. Yell at umps. Etc.) it’s just not fun and I think this is our last year even though a couple umps have told us they want us to stick around cause they need more young people. We even “stacked” a team last year for an 8 week fall league and 7 of our 10 players were all conference baseball players and we still only went like 2-6 in the lowest league
LOSER

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
My overly competitive slowpitch story involved a men's league team playing an all female team. Here in the dirty, there was only one all female team, so they put the team in with our "C/D" league, which was pretty unfair to begin with because the female team was stacked, traveled to tournaments, had professional looking uniforms, the whole nine.

Well, their coach was a real ***hat rule Nazi, where our work team was mainly out to have fun, drink a beer or two, and enjoy the weather.

Apparently, I didn't substitute appropriately from one inning to the next, and the opposing coach called us out on it, I was called out, and disqualified for the rest of the game. I still think to this day he did it cause he wasn't happy we were keeping the game competitive and he was looking for a way to give his team the edge (which they ended up winning in the end).

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Gee, that doesn't sound anything like the Great Des Moines Softball Complex leagues that I remember. :rolleyes:

I played out there for 2 years and never again. Its all a bunch of drunks who think they are playing for a championship every night. I remember running into 2 or 3 guys from high school who couldnt hit a baseball to save their lives were all of a sudden big shot softball players.

Everything everyone else has mentioned I witnessed in that league. I had a team that had won the Tuesday night league in Ankeny, next year we went to Des Moines and somehow got put in the best league because that was the only day of the week we could all make it. I remember alot of 25-4 type games, these d-bags would always get 3 singles in a row so they could load the bases before they "wasted" one of their home runs.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
My overly competitive slowpitch story involved a men's league team playing an all female team. Here in the dirty, there was only one all female team, so they put the team in with our "C/D" league, which was pretty unfair to begin with because the female team was stacked, traveled to tournaments, had professional looking uniforms, the whole nine.

Well, their coach was a real ***hat rule Nazi, where our work team was mainly out to have fun, drink a beer or two, and enjoy the weather.

Apparently, I didn't substitute appropriately from one inning to the next, and the opposing coach called us out on it, I was called out, and disqualified for the rest of the game. I still think to this day he did it cause he wasn't happy we were keeping the game competitive and he was looking for a way to give his team the edge (which they ended up winning in the end).

This made me stop to laugh. I did not know there were coaches in slow pitch.

Reactions: ruflosn

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Last edited:

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
George and the guys he hired gave as well as they took. I started playing fast-pitch in the mid/late 80's and one of my first tastes of how intense sub-state tourneys were was when I was called out on strikes. I turned around looked at the ump...held up my index finger and calmly state "you missed one". Well, on my way back to the dugout the manager and a few players came flying out telling me not to turn around. Of course with that and being young and stupid I did and found out the ump had thrown down his mask and was pursuing me to KMA! He thought I had flipped him off. After the game we had a good talk but man......was that intense!

CYEATHAWK, we did have some good times in the 80s playing fast pitch. George Davis was part of the problem. All he cared about was his beer sales and generally that is not a good combination. Beer + testosterone = bad judgement! Competitive juices flow during those games due to it isn’t easy to hit the really good pitchers. There was an ump that sometimes came drunk and did a terrible job. One night in a city championship game he missed pitches that were strikes and our pitcher was getting quite upset. Bases were loaded and our pitcher and catcher have a conference. The very next pitch was a rise ball and our catcher stays down like it’s a drop ball. The pitch hits the umpire straight in the mask and he takes two steps backwards and falls on his butt. He wasn’t hurt but I don’t believe he umped another one of our games drunk again.

cloneclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2018
I graduated high school with the guy. Never really interacted with him outside of a couple of classes, but he was nice enough. I'll never be surprised by something stupid a member of our class does though.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

Waterloo is definitely more competitive and they haven't solved the 'superteams' issue because most of their board is who is playing on those superteams. They also only have 3 umps that do tournaments and have done high level stuff. Once you get past those 3 of us, it gets pretty bad, pretty fast.

CF is much more laid back and better run overall. All umps are USA Softball certified and the city Rec Department backs it much better. The only downside is that the diamonds aren't as nice. Just older and don't get the constant maintenance that Waterloo does. Outside of Monday nights, it's truly a rec league out there. I'd recommend it!