JORDAN: Is the hype justified?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My big questions:

How much was the defensive line helped last year by outstanding coverage? Can it return the favor this year for the relatively inexperienced secondary this year?

Can Purdy spread it around without that one huge bailout option streaking down field, and can the young backs keep the pressure off him by being productive both in rushing and blocking?

I think the answer to those questions will be positive, but if we see some struggles here and there, it would not surprise me to see them come from these uncertainties.

IIRC the dlines have been their most effective when they've stayed in their lanes etc. They started getting away from that last year toward the end including the bowl game and the result was extra yardage for the opponent.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm keeping myself from getting too high, but having an experienced defense is a great thing. Even if the offense takes a couple games to find itself, having a top notch D to keep the scoring down, is an invaluable way to start the season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I was ready to be critical of this hype column. But I agree with a hope of 8/9 wins, possibly 10. And we should all be f***ing pumped for that. I mean, there was a span of a decade or so where we barely won 10 games total.

Absolutely! It is amazing the change in culture CMC has instilled in the program in 3.5 short years. The team is just plan a lot better. Better players, better depth, better citizens, and better coaching. Any long time ISU fan would have a hard time trying to find something realistic to whine about. (those there are some who will...Uniforms?)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Give me 7 or 8 wins and as long as most or any losses were at least competitive it's a good season.

It's not like EVERYONE is back so there will be some things to work through but so far the most fun part of CMC's tenure is seeing the teams' develop and improve especially from week 1 to October.

Um, you misspelled Brocktober.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Has there been a bunch of hype for this season that I've missed out on? Honestly haven't seen much so it seems like an odd article title.

Yes, you have missed out on it. But it will only be getting louder as the season approaches.

Most of the preseason magazines as well as ESPN and CBS have ISU in their preseason top 25s. There's a good chance ISU will be in the preseason AP Top 25, which I'm not sure has ever happened. Definitely hasn't in my lifetime.

A potential Top 25 matchup against Iowa could break the state.

It's scary to have expectations, but it gets a little easier knowing that the staff appears to have complete buy-in from the players and our QB is a talented leader.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
All told, I am super nervous for this season. I just want them to start playing games so I don't have to worry about them anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
IMO, if the hype is unjustified, it will be due to one reason - the loss of David Montgomery. That kid created lots of yards and first downs out of nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
tenor.gif

Ending the season on Drake and a very weird game with Washington State makes me hesitant to drink the Kool Aid

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
If they continue winning this era will compare to the Earl Bruce years I'm not confident in a victory against Oklahoma or Texas unless the November weather gets to the Longhorns. I'd be pretty surprised with a Iowa loss however

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron