Cy Hawk Rivalry

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's definitely hyped up on both sides. This game truly will be a big non-conference game for each team. Iowa has an opportunity to win on the road against a team with a lot of hype who might very well be in the top 25. Iowa State has the opportunity to beat a most likely ranked team as well, and also have an opportunity to add to the hype of the program. Coach Campbell has done amazing things at Iowa State so far, but he still hasn't beaten the rival. I'm not saying you have to beat your rival every single year, but you still need to do it. Harbaugh is having the same problem at Michigan with Ohio State. Beating Iowa this year will also help with total wins (obviously). The past two years we've ended with 8 wins and really wanted to get that 9th. Going into the conference season 3-0 and playing well will provide a huge boost of confidence and momentum to the team.
Yes it's a huge game. Always is.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Saying Iowa never has a tough schedule is wrong. Bringing up one tough schedule doesn't help either. It also doesn't help that the one year Iowa ran the table they didn't play one team on the east side. That's the one that sticks out.
True, but going 12-0 was still pretty sweet

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
True, but going 12-0 was still pretty sweet
Oh absolutely! I wish Iowa State right now would have the schedule they did when the Big 12 was split North and South. Iowa State would be in position to make the title game every year IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oh absolutely! I wish Iowa State right now would have the schedule they did when the Big 12 was split North and South. Iowa State would be in position to make the title game every year IMO.
I prefer the round robin 9 game schedule in football and basketball. While playing for a championship may be easier with a N/S, the schedule is more entertaining for me being a 10 team league.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and NWICY

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I prefer the round robin 9 game schedule in football and basketball. While playing for a championship may be easier with a N/S, the schedule is more entertaining for me being a 10 team league.

I can agree with that. Wish we could go back to just a regular 10 team big 10. I know that sounds crazy.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I definitely love it during basketball and it is fun being able to yearly watch ISU play the southern teams, but I can't help but think about how we'd fair with that Big 12 North schedule if we had it the past two years and this upcoming year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My bad, top 5 schedule. And they still made a bowl game to boot. I heard for years that the schedule was what was holding ISU back all those years.

ISU not being very good was what was holding them back and the schedule excuse is the victim card.

Proof: they've been decent the last two years and oh, look, their record's been decent too.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So I'm down on Duval Street in Key West and go into a t-shirt shop my parents are in. I'm wearing my ISU authentic nike players t-shirt I bought at the Oklahoma game last year. This young Isreali kid at the counter already got a couple hundred out of my parents smiles and says 'Go Hawkeyes....'

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Saying Iowa never has a tough schedule is wrong. Bringing up one tough schedule doesn't help either. It also doesn't help that the one year Iowa ran the table they didn't play one team on the east side. That's the one that sticks out.

I'd just like ONE year when ISU's schedule is as bad as Iowa's was when they went 12-0. I guess they had them back in the North days, but ISU wasn't very good then and even when they were, McCarney would piss away a bunch of OT games. Unless the B12 is way down, if ISU makes the conference title game, they are going to EARN it. There will be zero talk about fake ID's.

That said, it sure would be fun to have a season where with a few good bounces, ISU was right there in the playoff conversation. I would take all the fake ID talk they could dish out for a season like that. Round robin means there's no ducking anyone. And I get that you play who is on your schedule, but the schedule is always going to be tough in this format.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Having Iowa on the schedule is a big reason ISU's SOS is rated high. Sagarin uses Sagarin's team rankings to determine Sagarin's SOS rankings. Iowa finished last season ranked #10 in Sagarin. While Iowa's SOS ranking last year was still in the top 30% of FBS teams, it would've been higher if ISU would've finished ranked higher than #37.

So, you're welcome.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Depends on the year/phase or era of the Big 12. Teams like KSU and Nebraska were legit when it first started.

There was an era there in the mid-2000s when the north division was really bad and ISU refused to put it together when it counted.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd just like ONE year when ISU's schedule is as bad as Iowa's was when they went 12-0. I guess they had them back in the North days, but ISU wasn't very good then and even when they were, McCarney would piss away a bunch of OT games. Unless the B12 is way down, if ISU makes the conference title game, they are going to EARN it. There will be zero talk about fake ID's.
I miss beating Iowa.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I miss beating Iowa.
Sure it’s good but we all know that the Alamo said they were taking us before the (gulp) Drake game ever had an outcome.
All wins matter, conference wins matter more if we want to go to S.A. again, Orlando, New Orleans, etc.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Sure it’s good but we all know that the Alamo said they were taking us before the (gulp) Drake game ever had an outcome.
All wins matter, conference wins matter more if we want to go to S.A. again, Orlando, New Orleans, etc.

I would easily take a win over Texas vs a win over iowa if I had to choose. Conference wins matter way more than shutting up idiots.

Help Support Us

Become a patron