Cy Hawk Rivalry

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You call yourselves fans? Get the years right! :)

2011 was the 3 OT game. I missed the 2nd half but looked really fun. Both teams were OK that year iirc so not much lost.

2012 was two bad teams trying to lose...kind of a sign of where things really were under CPR.

2016 was a mess for ISU, Iowa was ready for sure.

2017 was really fun. Give me more of that for September football (except ISU winning)!

Last year wasn't bad but just not much going for offense. One play here and there made the difference, and imo ISU's staff didn't allow for it on ISU's side.
Ah my bad I was mixed up. 2011-2012 season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That game or the 2012 3OT game when Steele Jantz played the best game of his career would be the two that stick out to me from recent memory.

Those two are like companion games with different winners. Amuses me how each went to overtime and both final scores were 44-41. (I'm easily amused, I admit).

(Note: 3OT game was 2011 sted of '12)

Edit: madguy30 beat me to it re: year :).

Last edited:
Reactions: dexterhawk

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
2012 was two bad teams trying to lose...kind of a sign of where things really were under CPR.

Yeah, both teams did as much as possible to give away the game. Iowa managed to "succeed more poorly" in that regard.

Labeling ISU '12 "bad" might be a little harsh, but definitely squandered opportunities. That team should not have finished with a sub-.500 record.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, both teams did as much as possible to give away the game. Iowa managed to "succeed more poorly" in that regard.

Labeling ISU '12 "bad" might be a little harsh, but definitely squandered opportunities. That team should not have finished with a sub-.500 record.

If they weren't bad, they weren't very good. Beat marginal teams and got worked by anyone with a pulse. Some good individual defensive players but they got lit up plenty. Wasn't CPR's swan song by any means but definitely got people thinking. I remember that TCU win looked fun but then they went 6-7 too.

Reactions: cyclones500

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Hush, grownups are talking
It's definitely hyped up on both sides. This game truly will be a big non-conference game for each team. Iowa has an opportunity to win on the road against a team with a lot of hype who might very well be in the top 25. Iowa State has the opportunity to beat a most likely ranked team as well, and also have an opportunity to add to the hype of the program. Coach Campbell has done amazing things at Iowa State so far, but he still hasn't beaten the rival. I'm not saying you have to beat your rival every single year, but you still need to do it. Harbaugh is having the same problem at Michigan with Ohio State. Beating Iowa this year will also help with total wins (obviously). The past two years we've ended with 8 wins and really wanted to get that 9th. Going into the conference season 3-0 and playing well will provide a huge boost of confidence and momentum to the team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thing is this is pretty much the same schedule ISU has every year. This is the hardest schedule Iowa has had in years.
Ehh the Big 12 might be a little down this year compared to some of the past years. WVU will be worse after Holgerson left, KSU might struggle with the absence of the vampire, Okie State and TCU aren't as up there as years prior, Baylor is getting back into the swing of things after their turmoil, etc. I think this year we have a nice schedule set up to allow us to possibly have a shot to make the title game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
  • Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Okay let's be real here.. 2 years ago Iowa did very much so have a tough schedule, however let's not act like they play that schedule every single year. There are sometimes Iowa only has to play one big dog out of the east, and even times they play none. When that happens, the schedule is not a tough one.
Agree...but to argue the Hawks never have a tough schedule is incorrect. Sagarin ranked it 5th just 2 years ago.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My bad, top 5 schedule. And they still made a bowl game to boot. I heard for years that the schedule was what was holding ISU back all those years.
When Iowa State was at it's lowest of lows, our schedule wasn't allowing us to pick up a win. Don't get me wrong we were pretty awful, but the rest of the Big 12 was either average to really good (Kansas excluded). We didn't have the schedule that would allow us to play Rutgers and then come back and play Illinois and then Purdue and Indiana. If we had that, we might've seen 4-5 win seasons instead of 2-3. We'd play OU, Okie State, then TCU, then Texas, then WVU. That's beyond tough to pick up a win when you were as bad as we were.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agree...but to argue the Hawks never have a tough schedule is incorrect. Sagarin ranked it 5th just 2 years ago.
Saying Iowa never has a tough schedule is wrong. Bringing up one tough schedule doesn't help either. It also doesn't help that the one year Iowa ran the table they didn't play one team on the east side. That's the one that sticks out.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE