Upcoming Kansas City Trip

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hey Fanatics,

Spending long weekend (July 4th -8th) in Kansas City . We are staying about 10 minutes drive East Of River Market. I've been to KC many times so know most of the big stuff but still welcome some recommendations. The River Market and West Bottoms neighborhoods are fairly unknown to me.

1. Good place to see fireworks preferably with minimal hassle and crowds
2. Great food (live music is a plus)
3. Hidden tourist attractions
4. Good beer selection

Thanks!!!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hey Fanatics,

Spending long weekend (July 4th -8th) in Kansas City . We are staying about 10 minutes drive East Of River Market. I've been to KC many times so know most of the big stuff but still welcome some recommendations. The River Market and West Bottoms neighborhoods are fairly unknown to me.

4. Good beer selection

Thanks!!!
Jazz A Louisiana Kitchen in Westport is unique if you are willing to get outside of your area.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Stockyards Brewery in west bottoms is pretty neat - ISU grads also / Torn and Big Rip in the East Bottoms. Tap room with everything and they have more food now too is the Beer Station, north side of Waldo (i think, close enough at least)

But my fave is KC Bier Co in Waldo. Its a german brewery/bierhalle, great outside space too. Waldo Pizza splits the differnence between the Beer Station and KCB.

The Royals are in town on the 4th but on the road on friday. they usually have fireworks on Fridays

• Winner
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had been to KC probably 30 times and had visited everywhere except Boulevard. Last time we decided to check out Boulevard and it was great, a lot of rare beers on tap.

Other good ones Torn Label, City Barrel, and Border Brewing are all close to each other and the pizza at Grinders is pretty decent.

Beer Kitchen and Beer Station are both great non breweries to drink at.

So many BBQ places that it's hard to pick favorites. Joes, BB's lawnside, Q39, etc. are all good. I have a couple that are on my list to visit for the first time. Slap's and Hawg Jaw Que. For breakfast, I like Town Topic.

As far a fireworks, do your research. We went to one 4th of July and was stuck in traffic for 2 hours and the hotel was only a couple of miles away. If I remember correctly, this was on the Kansas side.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Hey Fanatics,

4. Good beer selection

Thanks!!!
A must is the Steamboat Arabia Museum in the City Market. Go to KC Riverfest for a great all-day time on the 4th.

LoyalFawker

Jul 13, 2016
Kansas City
Depending on what you've already done some of the things I recommend in your area when your here are:
-Hit up a speakeasy, there are 2 downtown (P.S. and Manifesto) They are both hidden in hotel basements so they are kinda hard to find if you don't know where to look.
-Chicken N Pickle is pretty close to you if you like doing something more active, otherwise there are a couple breweries across the street and Old Shawnee Pizza at Repel 18th has great signature cocktails, pizza, and live music.
-If your feeling really patriotic then take the free street car down to the WW1 museum which is really neat but would probably take a full day or 2 to fully ingest it all.
-That weekend will be first weekend so all the antique stores will be open in west bottoms and they close off the streets and have outdoor bars on what seems like every corner and lots of food trucks. ~Thats Friday and Saturday
-That Friday will also be first Friday in the crossroads area so all the Art Galleries open their doors to the public and there are usually a bunch of things going on in the area, Crossroads also has many of the micro breweries so it's a great place to brewery hop.
There's so much more but i'm getting tired of typing......

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had been to KC probably 30 times and had visited everywhere except Boulevard. Last time we decided to check out Boulevard and it was great, a lot of rare beers on tap.

Other good ones Torn Label, City Barrel, and Border Brewing are all close to each other and the pizza at Grinders is pretty decent.

Beer Kitchen and Beer Station are both great non breweries to drink at.

So many BBQ places that it's hard to pick favorites. Joes, BB's lawnside, Q39, etc. are all good. I have a couple that are on my list to visit for the first time. Slap's and Hawg Jaw Que. For breakfast, I like Town Topic.

As far a fireworks, do your research. We went to one 4th of July and was stuck in traffic for 2 hours and the hotel was only a couple of miles away. If I remember correctly, this was on the Kansas side.
Town topic is a staple.

• Agree
Reactions: Jacktronic

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Depending on what you've already done some of the things I recommend in your area when your here are:
-Hit up a speakeasy, there are 2 downtown (P.S. and Manifesto) They are both hidden in hotel basements so they are kinda hard to find if you don't know where to look.
-Chicken N Pickle is pretty close to you if you like doing something more active, otherwise there are a couple breweries across the street and Old Shawnee Pizza at Repel 18th has great signature cocktails, pizza, and live music.
-If your feeling really patriotic then take the free street car down to the WW1 museum which is really neat but would probably take a full day or 2 to fully ingest it all.
-That weekend will be first weekend so all the antique stores will be open in west bottoms and they close off the streets and have outdoor bars on what seems like every corner and lots of food trucks. ~Thats Friday and Saturday
-That Friday will also be first Friday in the crossroads area so all the Art Galleries open their doors to the public and there are usually a bunch of things going on in the area, Crossroads also has many of the micro breweries so it's a great place to brewery hop.
There's so much more but i'm getting tired of typing......
I will second the recommendation of Manifesto. It's awesome. I believe you have to make reservations, but it's worth it.

Also in that neck of the woods is Tom's Town Distillery. Definitely a good one to hit. They offer a tour, but also have a bar/restaurant that's very good.

Also, Parkville is pretty close, and there's some fun to be had there. A nice little shopping district with bars and restaurants, some good walking paths, and another distillery: SD Strong. Be prepared to go underground. It's in a cave, something like 700 feet underground

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Lotta good recommendations already. I'll add Up-Down Arcade Bar. Bunch retro arcade games, decent beer selection and it's 21+

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm there that weekend too so this works great for me too. Staying in crossroads and going to take advantage of the light rail to go up and down main st. Did not know stockyard was ISU alumni so will have to check out. KC Bier is awesome as noted and the Blvd beer hall is awesome. BB Lawnside it great too.
I like Plowboys BBQ but haven't been to the KC downtown location. If you are 10 minutes east of River Market are you near Independence? Good little BBQ in Indep called "A little BBQ Joint". Discovered that going to Chiefs games.

GoldCard

Nov 25, 2016
Unless it has gotten better in the past few years do not go to see fireworks in Corporate Woods in Overland Park. Or if you go find parking in the neighborhoods to the south. The fireworks are good and there is a decent band/food trucks, but traffic control is horrible.

A better option on the Kansas side is Stillwell. Smallish town that puts on a good show and traffic is so much more manageable.

Slap's BBQ is definitely worth the trip to KCK. I'd also recommend The Woodyard. Both are a bit rustic but have excellent BBQ.

I was hoping to add a Distillery to your list with Riegers. https://www.jriegerco.com/
But their tours and tasting don't reopen until 7/12. If you have a chance check out their bourbon and gin (and their Amaro if you are feeling adventurous). Good local stuff with history.

Also worth a side trip is Weston MO especially O'Malley's Pub.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Q39, Char Bar, Slaps, and the Woodyard are good. Woodyard has a really cool smoker and cool feel. Q39 has awesome foody bbq. Everything is really good but in my opinion the pulled pork can be skipped.

It's super small but Pot Pie in Westport is a great date restaurant.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
I'm there that weekend too so this works great for me too. Staying in crossroads and going to take advantage of the light rail to go up and down main st. Did not know stockyard was ISU alumni so will have to check out. KC Bier is awesome as noted and the Blvd beer hall is awesome. BB Lawnside it great too.
I like Plowboys BBQ but haven't been to the KC downtown location. If you are 10 minutes east of River Market are you near Independence? Good little BBQ in Indep called "A little BBQ Joint". Discovered that going to Chiefs games.
The owner of Plowboys, Todd Johns is from Peterson, Iowa. Great guy, I took a bbq class from him once. He won the American Royal World Series of BBQ Invitational in 2009. my brother & i won the open.

Reactions: cydsho and NWICY

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Q39, Char Bar, Slaps, and the Woodyard are good. Woodyard has a really cool smoker and cool feel. Q39 has awesome foody bbq. Everything is really good but in my opinion the pulled pork can be skipped.

It's super small but Pot Pie in Westport is a great date restaurant.
The owner of Q39, Rob McGee had a bbq team named Munchin Hogs at the HILTON. So, that almost makes him a Cyclone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron