Oculus Quest VR

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Just got one today and it is pretty amazing. Definitely a game changer for VR. I haven't had a lot of experience with VR outside of Samsung Gear VR and a little bit of PSVR. Definitely a better experience than those two IMO. Graphics are better on PSVR but resolution is higher in Quest and wireless makes a huge difference. Anyone else get one?

Reactions: Bigman38

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Just got one today and it is pretty amazing. Definitely a game changer for VR. I haven't had a lot of experience with VR outside of Samsung Gear VR and a little bit of PSVR. Definitely a better experience than those two IMO. Graphics are better on PSVR but resolution is higher in Quest and wireless makes a huge difference. Anyone else get one?

Don’t have one but this is the first VR set that’s seemed reasonable for me

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had a Rift for a couple of years. Very cool experience but didn't use it as much as I should so I sold it. The Quest seems like it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I had a Rift for a couple of years. Very cool experience but didn't use it as much as I should so I sold it. The Quest seems like it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use.
I would like to try a high end PC set up. I think if you were use to that the graphics on this might be disappointing. They still look pretty awesome, though. I think the Quest has the highest resolution of any VR headset currently available which helps a lot. There is still a bit of a screen door effect but it's not very noticeable. The ease of use is pretty incredible. The cost of the unit and the cost of games is the only big downside IMO. You'll be paying an early adopter fee right now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would like to try a high end PC set up. I think if you were use to that the graphics on this might be disappointing. They still look pretty awesome, though. I think the Quest has the highest resolution of any VR headset currently available which helps a lot. There is still a bit of a screen door effect but it's not very noticeable. The ease of use is pretty incredible. The cost of the unit and the cost of games is the only big downside IMO. You'll be paying an early adopter fee right now.

Yes, I built a custom PC at the same time that I bought the Rift. Graphics were never an issue but the cord was a pain.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yes, I built a custom PC at the same time that I bought the Rift. Graphics were never an issue but the cord was a pain.
Mobility and lack of wires is going to make the Quest go viral I think. You can take it to family gatherings or parties and let people who have never tried VR before try it and they will be amazed. I predict come Christmas time it will really blow up.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I got a Samsung VR for free with my S7 phone. It was worth about what I paid for it.
vauEUgn.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
  • Funny
Reactions: Cyclonepride

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Those that picked this up, what are your impressions after a few weeks? I've been thinking about picking one up later this summer.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Those that picked this up, what are your impressions after a few weeks? I've been thinking about picking one up later this summer.
I love it. I've played it pretty much every day since I've got mine. Don't regret it a bit.

It may not be for everyone. One downside is the games. I've really enjoyed the ones I've purchased (Beatsaber, Vader Immortal, Robo Recall, and Moss), but none of them feel like full games. If you are looking for a big game you can put 20 plus hours into they dont exist. That said, pretty much all the games are 30$ or less, so they are priced accordingly. I don't play much more than an hour a day, so those 4 games I bought are still doing well for me. Plus, if you buy a game and you just arent digging it you can return any game within 2 weeks of purchase if you've spent less than 2 hours playing it. I've returned one already and it's a breeze. They've got 50 plus games and seem to be adding a couple a week, so the library is pretty big.

If you are looking for a system that you can do marathon sessions on this isn't it. The headset does get a little uncomfortable after a while. I don't notice it as much with games that you're moving around with, but sitting games like Moss you can start to feel it's a little front heavy. Plus the battery only lasts 2-3 hours, but you can play with it plugged in if you really want to.

I've heard some complaints about the graphics, but I think it looks great. That said, I've never played on a high end PC set, so I don't have a great basis for comparison. The resolution is fantastic. That makes up for lower polygon counts, lower res textures, and fewer lighting effects. If you look at screenshots or videos of some of the games they look like crap, but they look way better in the headset from my experience.

I was reading an interview from one of the Oculus execs and he was saying how in a few years they will have lighter headsets with better graphics and higher resolution, so I guess if you want to wait a couple years you could. I'm glad I bought mine now, and I will probably preorder the next generation when it's available.

L

LincolnWay187

I will be getting a valve index or the newly announced Vive Cosmos, no half assing it here!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
@NorthCyd thanks for the update.

I've almost pulled trigger on a VR headset multiple times, from PSVR, the Rift, Vive and I never did, partly because it seemed gimmicky. But I'm still really intrigued and the standalone nature of the Quest might get me to pull trigger.

On a side note, Oculus Quest is a dope name for a wide receiver. Wish I had a college football game to create a player on....