Nebraska High School monthly drug testing adding Nicotine to banned substances

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Wow, they're testing 10% of their (involved) students every month?

Do they allow dancing?
giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I went to high school we could smoke in the stairwells in between classes as long as we had a note "signed by our parents" stating we were allowed to smoke.
At our high school it was in the student parking lot with the same requirement of a note from a parent. I don't think there were many other schools that allowed it in our area though, so it contributed to the rough reputation of our school (mostly deserved, in my opinion).

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I turned 18 at the very end of my junior year. If you can legally purchase nicotine are you still not allowed to use it?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I turned 18 at the very end of my junior year. If you can legally purchase nicotine are you still not allowed to use it?

It is no different than not using marijuana or something with your employer. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is allowed. I believe pretty much every school has some code of conduct agreement that any student involved in extracurricular activities has to sign and return and they usually involve not using drugs, tobacco and alcohol.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It is no different than not using marijuana or something with your employer. Just because it is legal doesn't mean it is allowed. I believe pretty much every school has some code of conduct agreement that any student involved in extracurricular activities has to sign and return and they usually involve not using drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
I find it hard to believe a public school can completely ban an otherwise legal activity, even if it's only legal for 18 year olds. On school grounds, sure. But not everywhere. It's not the same as an employer or even something you agree too for extracurricular activities.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed the detail that the ban only.applies to extracurricular activities.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm not sure how anyone can afford to smoke today. Aren't Marlboros about $60 a carton? It would cost me $100 a week to smoke if I still did.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
At our high school it was in the student parking lot with the same requirement of a note from a parent. I don't think there were many other schools that allowed it in our area though, so it contributed to the rough reputation of our school (mostly deserved, in my opinion).
My high school had a section outside literally called "The Ash Tray". No parents note required.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I remember if a kid got caught with chew or cigarettes in their locker it was like the bust of the year if they were under 18. Now that’s minor to what HS kids are into nowadays it seems lol