Apollo 11 CNN Doc.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

Caught the last half of this tonight. amazing to think this happened 50 years ago, Yet now we wouldn't be able to accomplish the same without another decade of work. Hopefully the current SLS system will lead to a return to the moon, and who knows where else.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Great seeing this in the theaters. Really wish we could have had this in IMAX in Iowa.

Put this into the podcast thread, but if you want more, BBC’s “13 Minutes to the Moon” is an excellent podcast on all aspects of the Apollo missions. Hans Zimmer did the music, and it is very well produced and formatted. They are on Episode 5 out of 11 (I think) so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

Fun fact, Iowa State alum Steve Bales was GUIDO for Apollo 11, and made the call on the 1202/1201 alarms on descent.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Caught the last half of this tonight. amazing to think this happened 50 years ago, Yet now we wouldn't be able to accomplish the same without another decade of work. Hopefully the current SLS system will lead to a return to the moon, and who knows where else.

Funny how I watched a NASA video recently and the scientists talked about how they are still trying to figure out how to build a ship while being able to protect everyone from radiation passing thru VA Belts.. but meh they did it 50 years ago..like half a dozen times..

What I honestly find amazing is how they went to moon on live TV not knowing whether astronauts would blow up or whatever.. odds of landing on moon successfully and coking back with the shielding and suits they had were literally million to 1...yet they put it on TV with 1/3 entire world watching.. mm hmm..

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

I had an opportunity to hear the director of this movie talk about what they had to go through to digitize all of the footage that was available and then sync the audio from audio tracks and it was extremely interesting. At one point they were transporting film from DC to NYC due to the fact that they could only work 8 hours a day in DC. This transportation required a climate controlled van (both temperature and humidity) that had security due to the value of the material which was usually one of a kind.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This was great in theaters a few months ago. Is it going to be rebroadcast sometime?