UConn back to Big East

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Looking back I'm so glad the B12 didn't offer Memphis or Cincy.
I think the B12 should never have put feelers out too. I didn't like that look.

Agree, that was an odd exercise, especially if they didn't plan to expand anyway.

It was amusing to see pitches from schools and columns by regional writers from "contenders" saying "pick us, pick us!" It would've been flattering to have so much interest in the league, but outside of a few programs it wasn't going to add anything.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
AAC is better off moving south or midwest for its football. UConn is better off with Big East basketball and a any other conference for football.

If AAC wants to have a member near the general UConn territory, Buffalo might be an option, but that's only speculation I've read in past day and no way to know if American even wants that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm curious as to how this will affect the Big 12 vs Big East challenge going forward since the number of teams becomes an odd number.

Probably similar to how it is with the SEC challenge- one of their teams just won't play in it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think the biggest question is if the Big East will take a second. St. Louis might fit in.
Travis Ford is turning it around a little like Majerus did. I’d imagine he’ll bolt if a better job opens up.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I think the biggest question is if the Big East will take a second. St. Louis might fit in.

It's a possibility. Saint Louis has the Catholic school ID. Bring another "west" to the Big East (if there's any goal for geographic distribution). Both which would balance UConn's addition.

Mostly likely place to pluck for a 12th team is A-10. Dayton and UMass are others I could see happening. VCU if it wants to stretch southward. Would Nova be resistant to St. Joe's or La Salle?

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
UCONN going down could be good for ISU if the big 12 goes up in smoke. Another school that might have taken a spot away from the Cyclones is now off the board.