UConn back to Big East

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not to refute, I ask because I don't know (anyone may answer to inform me): Was there ever an edict or quota for Catholic schools in New Big East, or was it a coincidence of status involving remaining schools plus the colleges they happened to add?
I would assume they still want to maintain that percentage but who knows what the new bylaws are.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Assuming AAC implosion did happen and B12 decided to pluck a couple at random, Temple would be the last option I'd consider. If you want an outlier, Tulane would be a better idea than that.

The best part of adding Tulane would be getting to go to New Orleans.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Kick out West Virginia, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU.

Bring back Colorado, Missouri (after a humiliating public groveling), and Nebraska (now that they are punks).

Call it the Big 9.

Be sure to build a new wall at the Athletic Offices for framed apology letters from the Big 9 officiating office.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If the American does blow up, I would like to see the B12 take a look at Houston Memphis, Cincinnati, and Temple. I'm not a huge fan of UCF and USF for the conference, but I guess they deserve considering too.

If the B12 adds any of those 4 teams it means the Big 12 is a corpse in the process of rotting.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Big 12 is solid now with its current members. The only thing I can see is perhaps Baylor defeating the conferee around the time the the GORs are renewed. That is the time for the cleanest break from Baylor if the other members want them out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There is a new, long Athletic article.
Sounds like UConn will be paying $10 million to get out, they are already operating in the red, and will have a gradual payday in the BE.
The Athletic aludes to a potential BYU or Army invite from the AAC.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There was a time i was interested in expansion, but at this point i think the big 12 should only even listen to other P5 schools (Pac-12 most likely), and even then i really like the round robin scheduling we have and might not want to give that up.

As soon as the NCAA allowed the Big 12 to have a football championship game (one that's the envy of the rest of the conferences as it guarantees one of the two best teams wins that game, whereas the rest of the conferences run the risk of a playoff-caliber team getting popped by a weaker team from the other division), there was no reason to expand with whatever teams we can find for the sake of getting to 12. While we were looking to stabilize the conference with expansion earlier in the decade, that kind of expansion would have diluted everyone's payout, and with TV contracts likely significantly changing in the face of the way TV is viewed (i.e., cord-cutting), it's unlikely the rest of the conference will ever recover the money lost by taking on G5 teams.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to expansion. The Pac 12 is a conference that in the next 5 years is going to be in turmoil, and any of those schools would be better than a G5 team. I'm just saying the Big 12 is in a good place and at this point expanding just to expand is stupid.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I despise Baylor as much as the next person but this thought that we will “kick them out” is f’n stupid.

Will never happen. They’ve murdered, They’ve raped. They are still in the conference. Short of them aligning with ISIS and acquiring nuclear weapons with the intent of deploying, we are stuck with them.

nickcyv

Apr 29, 2009
The American blowing up has no impact on the B12. If they wanted any of the teams they’d simply sign them at any moment.

Saying that, no teams in the American bring anything to the B12. It isn’t going to happen.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The American blowing up has no impact on the B12. If they wanted any of the teams they’d simply sign them at any moment.

Saying that, no teams in the American bring anything to the B12. It isn’t going to happen.
Looking back I'm so glad the B12 didn't offer Memphis or Cincy.
I think the B12 should never have put feelers out too. I didn't like that look.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Looking back I'm so glad the B12 didn't offer Memphis or Cincy.
I think the B12 should never have put feelers out too. I didn't like that look.

Bowlsby shoud've been ****- canned immediately for that whole fiasco.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Athletic reporting AAC doesnt want UConn for football only.

AAC is better off moving south or midwest for its football. UConn is better off with Big East basketball and a any other conference for football.