Best Dorm?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
They are separate structures. Per this website (https://housing.iastate.edu/places/halls), it doesn't appear either have age restrictions now. My guess is they got rid of the restrictions due to an overall shortage of dorm rooms. I was a CA in Buchanan '07-09 and at that time it was still 19+ to live there.
Thank You for the update and the link. Times change! I lived there in 89-90, and it was still 25+ and / or Grad Students.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
All things considered, gotta think Union Drive is the place to be. Proximity to campus and campus town, UDCC, traditional or suite style options, and state gym (which blows lied away).

Reactions: cstrunk

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I lived in Maple in 2011 so I can really only speak for MWL. It had a really nice cafeteria and was right across from Hilton and Jack Trice which was amazing on gameday. 7 years ago it was pretty much like this:

Maple-Definitely the most quiet of the three. Very few parties. The nicest/cleanest. Strict no alcohol policy. Probably the best for someone who is going to take their education really seriously.

Willow: Combo of Maple/Larch. Had some recent updates to the interior. Best for someone who wants to have a good time, but hit the books at the same time.

Larch- Party central. Very old interior. Looking back they were really gross. Also the most fun. Best for someone looking to beer bong Keystone on a Tuesday night.

K-becker here. You forgot being able to see into women's dorm windows... And the smell of puke in the stairwells that never really went away.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
BWR is cool but all you need to do is look at my name to understand its down falls.
Not only did Knapp have no AC but the heat sucked.
Also the constant drilling of rods into the side of the building to make sure it doesnt fall over with hundreds of 19 year olds.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
4 years in Friley. Handy to classes. Handy to "dogtown" and the bars. At the time, football was in Clyde Williams just out the back door...could make it to your seat 10 minutes after getting out of bed. State Gym and Beyer were close. Still have great memories and friendships after all the years.

What’s with all these “handys “ you speak of? Maybe I should’ve lived in friley...

• Funny
Reactions: Clonefan23

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I always thought Friley felt more social than MWL because it was usually more convenient to walk through the building. So there were always people around. Better food choices by far in my day, and felt like it was closer to more classes. Which for me just made me feel slightly more guilty when I skipped them, but it’s something right?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
4-5 night a week??? What a bunch of studious nerds in Larch. Must have been a bunch of academic overachievers.
I can't remember if it was just a floor or if it was the whole building but Barton Hall had a 0.00 GPA collective average my freshman year. It was a record if I remember correctly.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I can't remember if it was just a floor or if it was the whole building but Barton Hall had a 0.00 GPA collective average my freshman year. It was a record if I remember correctly.

OrganicWellwornDeermouse-size_restricted.gif

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Barton was all women when I went to ISU, the bottom two had some pure crazy in them. The upper two floors had some smart, attractive women on them.