Future Sports at ISU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I apologize if I missed that, I didn't see all thread posts.

So for P5 it's:
Iowa State
Syracuse
Wisconsin
Colorado(?)

So.. the northern outpost of the big 12
A northern outpost of the big east\ACC (independent when cancelled, i believe)
One of the northernmost teams of the big 10
A team up in the mountains in the northern half of the big 8 (when it was cancelled).

Seems like they have something in common.

• Creative
Reactions: 2speedy1

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Like I said before there are only 4 power 5 schools that don't have baseball, ISU being one of them.

I do appreciate that nugget about how few P5's offer baseball. If I had to guess, I would've said there'd be more. You can tell I don't pay close attention to college baseball. I loosely associate college baseball w/ SEC, ACC, southern Big 12 and Pac-12 (mainly Cali and Arizona teams).

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Congrats to Michigan on being the second Big Ten team in 35 years to make it to Omaha. Their harrowing path to the CWS included not facing the regional host, and beating a super regional host who was lucky to advance out of the regionals.

Yep. As proud as Iowa fans seem to be of baseball, B1G baseball is basically JV baseball compared to traditional southern powers.

ISU should not add baseball. Hockey is the only sport that makes sense. And as others have said, the real answer is nothing. Focus on what we have.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yep. As proud as Iowa fans seem to be of baseball, B1G baseball is basically JV baseball compared to traditional southern powers.

ISU should not add baseball. Hockey is the only sport that makes sense. And as others have said, the real answer is nothing. Focus on what we have.

And that "JV baseball" program Michigan makes the CWS finals...pounding Big 12 power Texas Tech 15-3...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And that "JV baseball" program Michigan makes the CWS finals...pounding Big 12 power Texas Tech 15-3...

And today was the first I've heard of either of those schools doing anything related to baseball.

Did see it was the first time since something like 1966 either Michigan or a B1G school are in the finals.

I'm sure the CR area news is all over it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And today was the first I've heard of either of those schools doing anything related to baseball.

Did see it was the first time since something like 1966 either Michigan or a B1G school are in the finals.

I'm sure the CR area news is all over it.
Then you don't follow college baseball if you don't know about Texas Tech...

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't know if Iowa State benefits, but the Big 12 has been well represented at the CWS.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Yep.

And to boot I've never met a single person who follows college baseball.
Most people don't know the salaries in the sport either. They are not the same as they were in 2001. Found this info when Iowa fans were worried about Heller leaving and it is already dated. Salaries of coaches with teams in the college world series

Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt: $1,318,162 (this from 2017, last data available)
Dave Van Horn, Arkansas: $1,100,000
Dan McDonnell, Louisville: $1,100,000
Butch Thompson, Auburn: $1,000,000
Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech: $1,000,000
Mike Martin, Florida State: $700,000
Chris Lemonis, Mississippi State: $600,000
Erik Bakich, Michigan: $425,000

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Curious how they got their program jumpstarted.

They dropped wrestling in 2017 and announced the baseball startup. School prez (at the time) is a big baseball fan, and really spearheaded the whole thing. It has been quite a cluster. They won't have their own park built by the time the 2020 debut rolls around, so they're trying to figure out where to play. Most likely scenario is at the local Class A short-season park (Boise Hawks).

• Informative
Reactions: IASTATE07

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They dropped wrestling in 2017 and announced the baseball startup. School prez (at the time) is a big baseball fan, and really spearheaded the whole thing. It has been quite a cluster. They won't have their own park built by the time the 2020 debut rolls around, so they're trying to figure out where to play. Most likely scenario is at the local Class A short-season park (Boise Hawks).

Honestly something like that might make sense if ISU had to sponsor a baseball program- put it at Principal Park. Might actually draw an audience there from the DSM alumni base.

Not that it really makes sense to add regardless.

• Agree
Reactions: TOFB4ISU and Cycho1

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Some stats today from the Omaha World-Herald article on Michigan (gated), which is mostly discussion about this issue:

Michigan has joined an elite six, but it still needs to defeat 'titan' Vanderbilt to win the CWS
https://www.omaha.com/sports/plus/m...cle_b350c570-3b3f-5160-becb-72ecd5fed0ab.html

... Never mind that the Wolverines hadn't been to the College World Series in 35 years or hadn't won a crown since 1962.

Never mind that a program facing similar weather challenges hadn't made the title game since the 1993 Wichita State squad. ...

Since the NCAA adopted its current postseason format in 1999, 168 teams have reached Omaha. All but six of those squads were either located on the West Coast or the South, or had ties to a major conference based mostly in warmer climates.

Stony Brook. Kent State. Indiana. Missouri State. Notre Dame. And now, Michigan.

Six out of 168.

But the past was never a deterrent to these Wolverines. ...

If a school invests in college baseball, it can win. The Wolverines are proof.

"The difference-maker is the administration and what they do with their facilities, their operating budget, their support - how they're able to handle financial aid, allowing them to get the right coaching staff, giving (players) the right meals and nutrients," said Craig Keilitz, executive director of the American Baseball Coaches Association.

But not every school can allocate funds the way the SEC can.

Plus, northern schools will always have challenges - like conducting their preseason practices indoors, playing more road games, building a fan base, retaining player and coaching talent. ...

"I think bigger than a lack of facilities, bigger than the weather, is a belief system," [Coach] Bakich said. "Not allowing cold weather to be an excuse. ... It's just a mindset thing. Our players know it, and our recruits know it, and we don't shy away from it. Yeah, it's cold here, but it's not going to keep us from getting better."

Help Support Us

Become a patron