Friday OT - Shady Doings (or Situational Moral Ambiguity)

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I use a web hosted CMR software for my database and daily activities whichruns between $100-$150 per month. About 2 years after signing up I switched credit cards after a security breech. I forgot to notify the software provider. After 5 months, I was amazed that this "technology company" was unable to figure out that I was not paying them.

It took them almost 11 years to realize I was not paying them. In that time I had called customer support over a dozen times, and, twice had them do side projects for which they billed me and I paid them.

I bought a nice boat 2 years ago and jokingly told my wife we should name it after this company.

Reactions: dawgpound

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I hired a guy to install carpet in my basement at my old house. He did all the family room and most of the rest. Had just a little edging to do and the vinyl in the laundry.

Said he would call me back and come finish. After a while I called to see when he was coming back and his phone was disconnected. I waited another week and tried again. Still disconnected. I never did hear from him again so never paid for the labor. I was able to finish it up well enough on my own and laid down the vinyl too. I sort of suspect he may have ended up in jail. Just a wild guess....

The other was a well known Cyclone apparel company. I placed an order on line, pretty significant (over $100). I receive all of my order except one item. There was a note saying it was back ordered and would be shipped when it was back in stock. Pretty soon it arrived. The next day another one arrived WITH all the items I had ordered and received previously. I called about returning it and they said to keep it.

Reactions: Angie and NWICY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Not necessarily icky or shady but...

I work at a company where I'm one person in a team of four in our specific role. The other three people all quit within a four month span and they wanted to make sure I didn't leave too so I got a decent raise just to stay and hold the fort down while the made new hires. I didn't really do anything to deserve this raise and I had no intention of leaving the company.
Yes you did deserve it. You provided a service that was valuable to your company

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So when my wife and I were engaged a local news station had a contest where you had to send in some kind of funny video, and if you won you got a handful of prizes. My wife wanted to do it but I wanted nothing to do with it. So her family went on to do the video without me and we wound up winning. The video was set up in a way that you couldn't see the people behind the voices, so there was no real way of knowing I wasn't involved.

Anyway, as a part of wining we had to go on the morning news and be interviewed. So I wound up being interviewed by the newscaster answering questions about a video I literally had nothing to do with.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I had a honeywell HEPA filter that went tango uniform. I called and they sent me a new unit - didn't have to send the other one back. But about 3 weeks after I got the replacement unit, they sent me another identical replacement unit.

I'm a little churchy on those things, so I called to point out their mistake. They said thanks, but go ahead and keep it.

End of the day, I'm a huge fan of claiming things I am entitled to - nothing more. Never been a fan of those who "work the system" seeking things they aren't entitled to.

Reactions: Angie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My grandma was dirt poor growing up - and never really had much ever. But Church was important to her and the appearance. She would buy a nice new dress from "the sears" and keep the tags on. She would return it after whatever church event was over.

I give her a pass and hope she's not burning in hell.