Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
After Shayok committed...

I swear this is not an attempt to troll. What are you basing "Marial Shayok is a stud" on? All I can see is that in 3 seasons at VA, he never averaged double figures and never started even half if his games in a season. I mean, I know it is exciting when a player chooses your team as their destination but is there any reason outside of "because he chose us" to think he's so great?

Genuinely curious since I only saw Virginia play a half dozen times or do last year and Shayok never stood out as even memorable, let alone a stud.

And then he doubled down after the 1st Team All Big 12 season...

Shayok didnt even get an invite to the NBA combine so being "the man" really did nothing for him.

I am just saying that putting Shayok's G League combine invite out there as an example of what playing in ISU's offensive system can do for you is pretty lame. Grimes stunk last year and got invited to the NBA combine along with Dotson and Lawson.

What a fun ride it's been for Marial as a Cyclone. Tremendous job by Prohm helping to expand his game and big credit to Marial for an outstanding work ethic.

Oh, and a Jayhawk free night ain't bad ;)

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You know, it's honestly got to be mission accomplished for him. Super happy for the kid and proud of him.
Probably the best decision he could have made to transfer. Got himself into a position from lockdown defender and role player to a featured go to guy on both ends of the court that got him into the draft!

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Shayok being drafted is huge. Prohm and this program can use this as a recruiting tool for years to come. Took a part-time starter at a winning program who wasn't on anyone's draft radar and turned him into a First-team All-Conference draft pick. Shayok's work ethic and skill set was most of it, but the job this staff did to find him and develop his game should not be overlooked. Michael Jacobson should get some credit as well. Just a great story.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

What a fun ride it's been for Marial as a Cyclone. Tremendous job by Prohm helping to expand his game and big credit to Marial for an outstanding work ethic.

Don't worry, the dumbass will be here to spin and spew his bull **** about how he knows so much more about everything because he's an almighty ku fan.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With the 94th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft the Phoenix Suns still DON'T select Dedric Lawson from the University of Kansas.
@randomfan44

giphy.gif

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

giphy.gif

Reactions: isutrevman

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Sure, why wouldn't I be? Frankly, I'd be more bummed if KU stunk as bad as they did last season and still had 2 guys get drafted. The fact that this was the worst KU team in 10+ years coincides exactly with the fact that it had no players drafted for the first time in 10+ years. That's how it normally works.

Dotson might have been taken in the 2nd round but mercifully he came back to KU for next. Hopefully he improves nicely over the next season, leads KU to a Final Four and grabs a spot in the late 1st round next season.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Sure, why wouldn't I be? Frankly, I'd be more bummed if KU stunk as bad as they did last season and still had 2 guys get drafted. The fact that this was the worst KU team in 10+ years coincides exactly with the fact that it had no players drafted for the first time in 10+ years. That's how it normally works.

Dotson might have been taken in the 2nd round but mercifully he came back to KU for next. Hopefully he improves nicely over the next season, leads KU to a Final Four and grabs a spot in the late 1st round next season.
It coincides with Adidas money drying up

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
With the 94th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft the Phoenix Suns still DON'T select Dedric Lawson from the University of Kansas.
Lawson signed on to play for Golden State's summer league team. But honestly, he doesn't strike me as an NBA talent. Maybe, who knows. There's plenty of guys at the end of NBA benches who didn't look like NBA talent.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman