Travel - Seattle to Portland

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Again not on the way but if you're looking for good hikes just 1-2 hours west of Portland, there's some very nice trails in the Wilson River area. Also, the Oregon Coast is my preference for ocean time.

Reactions: ISUCHIEF

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Check trails if you go to the gorge, not all are open due to fire damage.

• Informative

austinkay2k7

Nov 17, 2017
My favorite part of the Seattle area by far has been Olympic National Park. Specifically the national park lodges, Lake Crescent Lodge and Lake Quinault Lodge.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Nike Headquarters in Beaverton is an interesting visit...they do have a store there, but more fun is the layout of track, soccer, and other complexes. Best time to walk around is Saturday or Sunday, but the store is only open on weekdays. The track is non-interference only if there are athletes practicing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Nike Headquarters in Beaverton is an interesting visit...they do have a store there, but more fun is the layout of track, soccer, and other complexes. Best time to walk around is Saturday or Sunday, but the store is only open on weekdays. The track is non-interference only if there are athletes practicing.
You have to have an employee pass to get into the store, and the campus is not an open campus. You will be asked by security to show an ID if you're walking around on a weekend, and even if you're not you're still not supposed to be there.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Wow, been busy the last few days, but still lots of great advice!

For those who know, if you could pick hiking/visiting one of Mt. Rainer, Mt. Saint Helen, or Mt. Hood, which would you pick? I will be hiking with my wife, so likely not attempting to go to the top... more likely wanting to hike 5-10 miles to just enjoy the nature. We also intend on visiting Snoqualmie Falls and Silver Falls State Park if that factors into your recommendation.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
The Space Needle might be a cliché, but it is an absolutely gorgeous view of Seattle and Puget Sound if you can make it up to the top of it. The area around it has a series of neat museums and art displays, as well, to round out a half-day visit to it.

If you are into wine and/or pretty rural scenery, I would recommend going a little to the west and south of Portland on the way to Salem through this area...

View attachment 64812

...on the bank of the Willamette Valley. Oregon has something of a "Napa North" in that region, founded by some California expats who headed north, and it is some of the most beautiful scenery you are going to find on this continent, too, while you are there.

Here is a more specified map/site...

https://www.winesnw.com/mid-will_vly_eola_amity_district_mcminn_map.html

Thanks! I think we decided on venturing down this route!

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Gotta grab a Three B (bacon, brie, basil with peach marmalade) waffle at the Waffle Window (3610 SE Hawthorne Blvd or 2624 NE Alberta in Portland). It’ll change your life! Or, if savory isn’t your thing, opt for the triple berry or blueberry cheesecake. They’re like $8 each, and seating is limited, but trust me...they’re amazing!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
All this talk is making me want to go back now.
Something we missed out last time was going to check out was the Tillamook cheese company, which my wife really wanted to do.

Cheese is good. Their curds are 2nd rate. It seemed to me their curds were really just chunks of cheese. None of the great squeeky saltiness that you get from great fresh curds. Nice visitors area though.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Cheese is good. Their curds are 2nd rate. It seemed to me their curds were really just chunks of cheese. None of the great squeeky saltiness that you get from great fresh curds. Nice visitors area though.
Brand new last summer

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Wow, been busy the last few days, but still lots of great advice!

For those who know, if you could pick hiking/visiting one of Mt. Rainer, Mt. Saint Helen, or Mt. Hood, which would you pick? I will be hiking with my wife, so likely not attempting to go to the top... more likely wanting to hike 5-10 miles to just enjoy the nature. We also intend on visiting Snoqualmie Falls and Silver Falls State Park if that factors into your recommendation.
Mt. Rainier I haven't done, but I'd guess it's similar to Mt. Hood. Mt. Saint Helen is like a different world, and it has a lot of challenges unique to being a blast zone. What type and how long of a hike are you looking for? There's pretty much all types I'd say in any of those places, but for unique it's hard to top the feeling of Mount Saint Helens. It's surreal.

https://scottpdawson.com/mount-st-helens-windy-ridge-to-loowit-falls/

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
https://gorgefriends.org/trails

The Eagle Creek fire (in the red shaded area above) has closed approximately 40 miles of trails from Cascade Locks to Ainsworth State Park on the Oregon side of the Gorge. Click "View map" below for a map of the 48,000-acre containment area.
Yeah, i had some nice ash on my car from that fire. Kid shot a firework off that started it.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Don't miss the fish market in Seattle, and watch the guys throw salmon!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron