Cy Hawk Rivalry

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
not sure what's funny about this @iahawks . I'm being respectful, both had great careers but Seneca was the greatest QB this state has ever seen. I think Purdy has a chance to pass all of them.

So a QB that threw more INTS than TDS is the best QB this state has ever seen? We are also over looking Kurt Warner.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
So a QB that threw more INTS than TDS is the best QB this state has ever seen? We are also over looking Kurt Warner.
I did forget about Kurt Warner. You have to consider what SW had around him. What he did for the program was unbelievable. If not the best QB ever in the state, I think it's fair to say he was the most exciting at least.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
I think as it stands right now here is how I would rank the top 5 QBs in the state of Iowa:
1. Seneca Wallace- Long NFL career, clearly the best QB this state has seen
2. Chuck Long or Brad Banks- Need Iowa fan's help with this. Both Heisman runner ups, but I honestly didn't watch a ton of either guy as a kid.
3. Brad Banks or Chuck Long
4. Sage Rosenfels- NFL career, you could make an arguement for him at #2, but if we are just talking college, I think it's fair to put him here.
5. Brock Purdy- Just one season, but he's incredible and will move up this list. Certainly one of the most talented guys this state has ever seen.

I’m not really sure Brad Banks is in the top 5. He benefited a huge amount from having the best offensive line the state has ever seen. To me:

1. Long
2. Wallace
3. A great big bunch of guys I can’t really separate.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Not necessarily our biggest game, but the biggest event in the state. The Texas game late in the season will be a much bigger game with more at stake in terms of college football. The in-state rivalry game is just that, an in-state rivalry event.
...and one we need to win more than once every five ******* years!

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Bigger than State Fair or RAGBRAI?
You don't complain about how crappy a band played in the grandstand of the state fair for 12 months after the fact...but I sure as hell am upset about how crappy the Cyclones played in last year's game almost 12 months later. So, the game certainly stirs up more passion than anything other event in the state IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You don't complain about how crappy a band played in the grandstand of the state fair for 12 months after the fact...but I sure as hell am upset about how crappy the Cyclones played in last year's game almost 12 months later. So, the game certainly stirs up more passion than anything other event in the state IMO.

I'm more upset about the game two years ago. If we do one of several things we win the game, but I'm most upset about our tackling on the play where Iowa tied the game at the end.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I’m not really sure Brad Banks is in the top 5. He benefited a huge amount from having the best offensive line the state has ever seen. To me:

1. Long
2. Wallace
3. A great big bunch of guys I can’t really separate.
Flip 1 and 2 and I think Purdy will end up on the list

Last edited:

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
The entire student body of Purdue University once played QB at an Iowa College/University. They must have been really good to put them your top 5. Was that around....say....1976?
Stupid autocorrect. I can’t speak to anything about Purdue or 1976.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Talking about Impact in the state.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
That game or the 2012 3OT game when Steele Jantz played the best game of his career would be the two that stick out to me from recent memory.

I still take the 2016 game over that one since in 2016 both teams were pretty good. Can't really say that about the Jantz game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I still take the 2016 game over that one since in 2016 both teams were pretty good. Can't really say that about the Jantz game.
I'd agree with that neither team was as good as the 2016 teams were, but the excitement of that game was great I thought.

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That game or the 2012 3OT game when Steele Jantz played the best game of his career would be the two that stick out to me from recent memory.

I'd agree with that neither team was as good as the 2016 teams were, but the excitement of that game was great I thought.

You call yourselves fans? Get the years right! :)

2011 was the 3 OT game. I missed the 2nd half but looked really fun. Both teams were OK that year iirc so not much lost.

2012 was two bad teams trying to lose...kind of a sign of where things really were under CPR.

2016 was a mess for ISU, Iowa was ready for sure.

2017 was really fun. Give me more of that for September football (except ISU winning)!

Last year wasn't bad but just not much going for offense. One play here and there made the difference, and imo ISU's staff didn't allow for it on ISU's side.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks