Iowa Volleyball Trouble

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/U...wyer-reviewing-NCAA-violations-510228871.html

The University of Iowa has agreed to pay an outside lawyer $280 per hour for help investigating serious NCAA violations uncovered in its women's volleyball program, according to a letter released Tuesday.

The university could face fines, reductions in scholarships or other sanctions from the NCAA.

In addition, firing Shymansky without cause would force the university to pay a $600,000 buyout. If the university fires him for cause, Shymansky would not be owed any money but could challenge his termination through an arbitration hearing in which Iowa would have to prove violations occurred.

Leaving voluntarily would be an expensive proposition for the coach: He would be required to pay Iowa $300,000 in damages, his contract shows. Shymansky, an Iowa graduate, had coached at Marquette and Georgia Tech before Iowa hired him in 2014.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/U...wyer-reviewing-NCAA-violations-510228871.html

The University of Iowa has agreed to pay an outside lawyer $280 per hour for help investigating serious NCAA violations uncovered in its women's volleyball program, according to a letter released Tuesday.

The university could face fines, reductions in scholarships or other sanctions from the NCAA.

In addition, firing Shymansky without cause would force the university to pay a $600,000 buyout. If the university fires him for cause, Shymansky would not be owed any money but could challenge his termination through an arbitration hearing in which Iowa would have to prove violations occurred.

Leaving voluntarily would be an expensive proposition for the coach: He would be required to pay Iowa $300,000 in damages, his contract shows. Shymansky, an Iowa graduate, had coached at Marquette and Georgia Tech before Iowa hired him in 2014.

Explains a lot right there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Does ToE have any recruits worth poaching for 2019 if we have any openings?
I noticed their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 24th nationally, their highest ever. Not sure if it is due to volume (8 signees which is abnormally high) or actual quality.

Assistant Vickie Brown will coach the team this fall and then Barta will hire a new HC or retain Brown. With TOE's funding and a new VB venue, the job could attract some high quality candidates. Will be interesting to see if Bobbi Peterson from UNI will have interest.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone and JP4CY

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Very interesting that all this comes out after the person graduated. Someone using leverage against u of I? Surely the Iowa AD would sweep this under the rug if they could

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I noticed their 2019 recruiting class is ranked 24th nationally, their highest ever. Not sure if it is due to volume (8 signees which is abnormally high) or actual quality.

Assistant Vickie Brown will coach the team this fall and then Barta will hire a new HC or retain Brown. With TOE's funding and a new VB venue, the job could attract some high quality candidates. Will be interesting to see if Bobbi Peterson from UNI will have interest.
I think any coach in a good situation will want to wait until the NCAA has imposed sanctions on the program so they know what they are walking into.

ameslurker

Jan 21, 2013
Heard on the radio he was paying for an athletes apartment when it wasn't covered by her scholarship. If I'm mistaken or didn't hear correctly please feel free to correct.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Heard on the radio he was paying for an athletes apartment when it wasn't covered by her scholarship. If I'm mistaken or didn't hear correctly please feel free to correct.
That’s what I’ve heard as well. Clear violation but apparently with some good intent in regards to the player. Scholarship paperwork wasn’t done and the player was short

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

Sounds like your source was correct.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...s-statement-regarding-termination/1511546001/

The statement was released through the Hartung Schroeder law firm.

"Former University of Iowa Head Women's Volleyball Coach Bond Shymansky acknowledges that an NCAA violation was committed when he provided financial assistance to a team member during the summer of 2017 to cover her rent."

This next part is from Shymansky.

"For the past month, I have cooperated with the University's request to remain silent regarding the underlying basis for my suspension. Now that I have been terminated, it is time to shed light on the details and end any wild speculation.

"I did not discriminate against, abuse or harass anyone — and there has never been
an allegation of sexual misconduct against me. In an act of compassion, I advanced funds to cover a young woman's unanticipated summer expenses in 2017. She came to Iowa City expecting to be on full scholarship, but when that status changed, she had nowhere else to turn. I have prided myself on running an NCAA-compliant program. However, I understand that I didn't 'do it right' by NCAA standards in this one instance and I am prepared to accept whatever sanction is deemed appropriate by the NCAA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What happened to all of the money that she could have been banking living off campus?

There’s a reason why Iowa football players all want to get in to Section 8 housing.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
From Shymansky.

"I did not discriminate against, abuse or harass anyone — and there has never been an allegation of sexual misconduct against me. In an act of compassion, I advanced funds to cover a young woman's unanticipated summer expenses in 2017. She came to Iowa City expecting to be on full scholarship, but when that status changed, she had nowhere else to turn. I have prided myself on running an NCAA-compliant program. However, I understand that I didn't 'do it right' by NCAA standards in this one instance and I am prepared to accept whatever sanction is deemed appropriate by the NCAA.

Meanwhile, Barta is rewarded with continued employment.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone06

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron