THT Going into the Draft

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It’s kinda baffling how many people just can’t understand why NBA teams draft the way they do. It’s really not that hard to understand.
It really is. Like, I understand how people don't think he is ready at this present moment, but the inability to understand the potential and projection route of NBA front offices is quite impressive.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It’s kinda baffling how many people just can’t understand why NBA teams draft the way they do. It’s really not that hard to understand.

Just because we dont agree with and think its a joke how the the NBA drafts doesnt mean we dont understand it. The NFL is the same way, at the end of the day give me someone who has proven they can actually play football well in the highest conferences against the best competition. You guys can have the backup corner from Abilene Chirstian who runs the cone drill well.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Just because we dont agree with and think its a joke how the the NBA drafts doesnt mean we dont understand it. The NFL is the same way, at the end of the day give me someone who has proven they can actually play football well in the highest conferences against the best competition. You guys can have the backup corner from Abilene Chirstian who runs the cone drill well.
If you ran an NBA team you would just have a team that never makes the playoffs that is full of proven role players that are easy to acuire anyways and no star players.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If you ran an NBA team you would just have a team that never makes the playoffs that is full of proven role players that are easy to acuire anyways and no star players.

How many guys drafted in the late 1st/2nd round end up being franchise players anyways? A majority of the superstars and "cant miss" players are the lottery picks. The rest you are just filling your team in with guys who show some potential, most of who will wash out in the G-league in a couple years, I would rather have guys like Niang and Morris filling those role player slots.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
How many guys drafted in the late 1st/2nd round end up being franchise players anyways? A majority of the superstars and "cant miss" players are the lottery picks. The rest you are just filling your team in with guys who show some potential, most of who will wash out in the G-league in a couple years, I would rather have guys like Niang and Morris filling those role player slots.
Not many, but you find one at that stage in the draft it’s not going to come from a low floor guy that is 23 and played all 4 years in college. I love Niang and Morris, but there aren’t any teams out their regretting they passed on them. Those types aren’t hard to acquire and aren’t worth much at all.

Last edited:

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Players from the G league, or what they are calling it now, can sign only 2, ten day contracts back to back. So they can stay on the roster for a total of 20 days. After that time, the team has to add them to the roster the rest of the year or release them. You can go up for 10 days, back down and then back up. I am not sure how often they are allowed to go back and forth.

THT is still very young, and the NBA really like drafting players that can grow and improve, that is why his stock is high. Not what he can do now, in the league, but the type of player he may be in 3 years.
A four year player has most likely shown everyone his entire game set, and the chances of him improving even more is just less. Not impossible, but less likely.
It's a little different now with the 2-way contract, which THT would likely get if not drafted in the first round. I don't know the number, but a player on a two-way contract is allowed a certain number of games on the NBA team during the season, I think 15 or so.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Not many, but when you get a guy like that, a guy like Draymond or Tony Parker or Ginobili or Jokic, it totally changes the trajectory of your franchise. Guys like Niang or Naz teams can find anywhere, there's countless guys undrafted or overseas or in the G-league who can be bottom of the rotation guys in the right situation. Teams don't care that they missed out on a random rotation guy, you can't win without top end talent in the NBA. Teams will take every chance they can to try to acquire that. When you take chances like that sometimes you end up with a guy like Bruno Caboclo, but sometimes you hit the jackpot and end up with a guy like Giannis.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It's a little different now with the 2-way contract, which THT would likely get if not drafted in the first round. I don't know the number, but a player on a two-way contract is allowed a certain number of games on the NBA team during the season, I think 15 or so.
NBA G League 101: Two-Way Contracts
Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and no more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA service are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

https://gleague.nba.com/twowayplayers/

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I think the market might have corrected itself a bit in terms of so many of the lottery picks being high school busts...if the rules hadn't been changed.

LeBron (obviously beyond NBA ready) was the last class to be eligible and prior to him the busts had really started piling up.

KD would have been a can't miss high schooler since then, probably Simmons and Zion too. Maybe I'm missing one or two others but at some point teams would have started hedging their bets with college and international picks. With only two picks teams were starting to get burned when more than half of their picks were high school kids. It was also becoming too common that teams drafted raw high schoolers, paid them to learn and struggle, then they were stars at their next stop when they signed a free agent deal. Jermaine ONeal comes to mind, the team that drafted him didn't get much and the next team got an all star.
Jermaine barely saw the court in Portland, developed and after 5 years Indiana had a double double machine!

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Some people literlaly don't understand it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i don't think you're old school. I think you just misspelled "clueless."

Every single player on an NBA roster is extremely "good at basketball."

Going early is fine, like Niang or Monte wouldn't have gone early if they were easily first rounders or lottery picks or something mid-college career. Geez, people.

With that, personally my point of view is that while someone's at ISU, that what they do is all for the ISU team they're on. I'm not convinced this past year's team didn't have multiple players thinking outside of that idea, and whatever works for them but if you're not on board with the greater good, move along and all the best.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Is anyone saying THT is going to be a franchise player? I think he's trying to get first round, which is guaranteed money, which is what anyone would take, especially at 18-19 years old.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out but the fact is even playing pro-ball overseas pays very well.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

The leading scorers on the teams in the NBA conference finals hailed from Davidson, San Diego St, Weber St and Filathlitikos, a Greek Semi Pro team. I'd say the league is doing things right.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Is anyone saying THT is going to be a franchise player? I think he's trying to get first round, which is guaranteed money, which is what anyone would take, especially at 18-19 years old.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out but the fact is even playing pro-ball overseas pays very well.

Just to note 2nd round picks usually get at least 1 year of guaranteed contract too.

"Of the 132 college players selected in the second round of the last six NBA drafts, 91 of them — or 68.9 percent — received at least a one-year guaranteed NBA contract, meaning they had at least one season where they made the NBA’s minimum salary. This past season, the NBA minimum for a rookie was $815,615, a number that will continue to rise as the NBA’s salary cap rises.

Of the 72 college players selected between 31st and 45th during the last six drafts, 65 of them — or a whopping 90.3 percent — received a guaranteed contract from an NBA team. Just two of the college players that were taken in the top 40 since 2012 did not receive a guaranteed contract during their first season as a pro."
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports...aranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

Assuming THT is a Top 45 pick (expected). Talen will make `~1 mil even if thing don't work out due to injury or lack of development. Then there is foreign leagues to fall all back on to be a pro as a backup.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Can we just acknowledge THT screwd the pooch on this decision? He's 18 y/o another year to develop could of elevated him to or near lottery status.

Before you pile on can someone list a few names that were projected near where Talen was back in April then chose to return to school so I can look back at this next June and LMAO.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Can we just acknowledge THT screwd the pooch on this decision? He's 18 y/o another year to develop could of elevated him to or near lottery status.

Before you pile on can someone list a few names that were projected near where Talen was back in April then chose to return to school so I can look back at this next June and LMAO.

Or he could have gotten injured and not be able to get the chance to play in the NBA. There is no guarantee he would have improved his stock by coming back.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

There is no way of knowing if Talen screwed the pooch right now, but I’m betting he didn’t. He’s going to make good money as an 18-19 year old and work with some of the best coaches in the world. Can’t blame a guy eager to fill what was probably a lifelong dream of his to play in the NBA which he will.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron