Iowa Corn Planting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
A lot of places in Iowa have been very fortunate to have so many great springs the last 5 years or so. Felt like we were due for a rough one. The worst part really is the lack of GDD units. If we go through the rest of the summer in the 70s and low 80s, it’s going to be a brutally late.

We haven't had a decent spring since at least 2015 here. We started a guys golf trip to IC the first weekend of June in 2016 and I've made it there once and I barely made it then. This one was by far the worst, though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
To expand here, probably 50%+ of corn was planted in June in a wide area. First, people didn't plant their intended maturity of corn. Let's say it's 7 days earlier on average. Then, that corn will shorten it's maturity naturally due to when it was planted probably another 7 days. I'd say there's no less than 30 bushels there. Then, it was all mudded in and some drowned out again.

And to expand on this, it will be a good year for the LP industry, to say the least.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Sparkplug

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
We haven't had a decent spring since at least 2015 here. We started a guys golf trip to IC the first weekend of June in 2016 and I've made it there once and I barely made it then. This one was by far the worst, though.
I know NE Iowa has had rough springs the last couple, but for over half the state it’s been really good. A lot of record yields the last 4 years.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That would definitely take some sting out of things. I've heard stories of 40/40/40 (yield/moisture/test) corn from '93.

40/40/40 and discing it down. That's what we could be set up for. Like I said, it could go the way of '91 as well, though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I know NE Iowa has had rough springs the last couple, but for over half the state it’s been really good. A lot of record yields the last 4 years.

I'm NW and we just seem to be in a pocket that's been wet in the spring.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'd get into corn if I was getting into something. This crop is going to be bad with the potential of absolutely awful. I think, once PP is accounted for, this will be a much worse crop than 2012.
Argent should be buying big in EVERYTHING - increasing CO2 and climate change is going to be great for ag! Just ask him!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Argent should be buying big in EVERYTHING - increasing CO2 and climate change is going to be great for ag! Just ask him!

Except the natural climate change is going into a very cold period. Regardless of CO2 levels. And yes I will be stockpiling some food as I don't eat a lot but going hungry is no fun.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was joking that I should buy corn futures some time around Easter. Maybe I was right?

I wouldn't buy corn futures, as I don't want to lose my house, but I think it may have worked out this year.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

cyfan10

Dec 18, 2014
I'm NW and we just seem to be in a pocket that's been wet in the spring.

Same. Last spring we didn't spin a tire til around May 10th and would get 1, maybe 2, good days of running for every 4-5 of sitting still waiting for things to dry. Still produced pretty good corn where we had the right practices so cant complain too much.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
A lot of places in Iowa have been very fortunate to have so many great springs the last 5 years or so. Felt like we were due for a rough one statewide. The worst part really is the lack of GDD units. If we go through the rest of the summer in the 70s and low 80s, it’s going to be a brutally late harvest.
It will probably get bloody hot at pollination time too....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Same. Last spring we didn't spin a tire til around May 10th and would get 1, maybe 2, good days of running for every 4-5 of sitting still waiting for things to dry. Still produced pretty good corn where we had the right practices so cant complain too much.

We planted a little on the 7th and then like the 17th I believe. That corn was decent. The rest wasn't good when you factor in drown outs. The 5 inches we got in June was a killer. That and the 100 mile an hour winds in places really hammered the corn. Beans were actually pretty good.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Maybe, that would suck, but at the same time staying cool the rest of the summer puts us in a bad place too. We can just hope for the best.

Yeah, Ideally it's hot with consistent rainfall. I'm just hoping for the hot at this point. I just have zero confidence we're getting to insurance levels anyway.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Michigan’s percent planted included prevented plant acres? Did I hear that right?

I've heard that PP acres are included. I don't know if that's true. I haven't had time to find out but 95% seems like a really high number to me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
A lot of places in Iowa have been very fortunate to have so many great springs the last 5 years or so. Felt like we were due for a rough one statewide. The worst part really is the lack of GDD units. If we go through the rest of the summer in the 70s and low 80s, it’s going to be a brutally late harvest.

Cool years with late harvests (pending no freeze that hits too early) means massive crops. A later harvest due to cool weather has been phenomenal.