Article on Prentiss and Larry

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I would be surprised if LE ever coaches college basketball again, and I think with his track record at a bunch of different schools that he doesn't necessarily deserve to either, but I certainly respect his passion and the ample evidence that deep down beneath all the histrionics, whether alcohol induced or not, that he truly does care about his players, even if and when they are looking to move without him being their head coach anymore.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Having one hard-nosed Larry guy... even if the shortest guy on the team last year, basically... might have helped. I think a couple guys needed a good ***-chewing once or twice.

Larry's system may have been pretty rough, but it was exactly what guys like Fizer and Tinsley needed and it paid off.

Cool he says good things about Prohm and Co.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Larry's system may have been pretty rough, but it was exactly what guys like Fizer and Tinsley needed and it paid off.

Cool he says good things about Prohm and Co.

I think Larry's baseline system wasn't all bad. The problem was that it apparently crossed a line somewhat frequently.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would be surprised if LE ever coaches college basketball again, and I think with his track record at a bunch of different schools that he doesn't necessarily deserve to either, but I certainly respect his passion and the ample evidence that deep down beneath all the histrionics, whether alcohol induced or not, that he truly does care about his players, even if and when they are looking to move without him being their head coach anymore.

Larry is a great coach, period. Some of the other stuff really destroyed his career. As far as being tough, he was pretty much like Bobby Knight in a period when being like Bobby Knight was frown upon.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I loved having LE as our coach. Dude just breeds toughness. He definitely had plenty of flaws though, even outside of his alcohol issues. He didn't like recruiting much and let his assistants do a lot of it. When we should have been capitalizing on those great seasons, his main assistants left for HC jobs and we didn't make hay like we should have. Also, after some success, he didn't feel like he needed to answer to the AD. Pete Taylor was his buffer. When Pete died and LE got in trouble, it gave VandeVelde the perfect excuse to fire him. BVDV was not going to go out of his way to save LE, even though he could have.

I hope that Prohm can get LE back to one of their reunions. Maybe the 20 year anniversary of the 99-00 team next summer (or would that be THIS summer?).

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Thank you for sharing

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I loved having LE as our coach. Dude just breeds toughness. He definitely had plenty of flaws though, even outside of his alcohol issues. He didn't like recruiting much and let his assistants do a lot of it. When we should have been capitalizing on those great seasons, his main assistants left for HC jobs and we didn't make hay like we should have. Also, after some success, he didn't feel like he needed to answer to the AD. Pete Taylor was his buffer. When Pete died and LE got in trouble, it gave VandeVelde the perfect excuse to fire him. BVDV was not going to go out of his way to save LE, even though he could have.

I hope that Prohm can get LE back to one of their reunions. Maybe the 20 year anniversary of the 99-00 team next summer (or would that be THIS summer?).

We had 2 special years and the rest were flat-out clunkers. He absolutely does not fit the mold of any current ISU coach by design and by JP. Personally I'm glad we're shooting for higher character men and women to lead our young men and women...

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Had he stayed, Larry would have had Wayne Morgan recruiting for him. Would have been interesting to see what they could put together.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I bet if Pete Taylor was here at the time there would have been a better chance that Larry might have been given a 2nd chance here. Just a gut feeling, they were awfully close and Pete was the voice you know.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We had 2 special years and the rest were flat-out clunkers. He absolutely does not fit the mold of any current ISU coach by design and by JP. Personally I'm glad we're shooting for higher character men and women to lead our young men and women...

People killed prohm for last year and not making the NCAA after having a very short recruiting season after he was hired super late. Larry followed up 2 championships with a horrible season and few bat an eye.