Should Michigan Embrace the Fab 5?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Now that Howard is the coach? If you were not around back then these guys were a show. Like must see TV when they played. Some of them took money in college, shocking, however, so many players have taken money in college now it almost seems ridiculous that it's even a thing. I mean Auburn still embraces Cam Newton.

I don't like Michigan. I loved watching the Fab 5 though. Epic battles with Hurley and Laetner were awesome for all basketball fans.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Absolutely. Violations don't change what they did on the court as well as culturally. Overall they were a huge net positive for Michigan and college basketball. Their influence is probably overstated my mind as a kid at that time, but I think the Fab 5 are only behind Jordan in terms of a cultural influence in basketball. I think they also kickstarted some of the college athlete empowerment that were are slowly seeing. The UNLV guys with Johnson and Augmon were a big deal, but Tarkanian was still the focus and story. With the Fab 5, it was all about them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Now that Howard is the coach? If you were not around back then these guys were a show. Like must see TV when they played. Some of them took money in college, shocking, however, so many players have taken money in college now it almost seems ridiculous that it's even a thing. I mean Auburn still embraces Cam Newton.

I don't like Michigan. I loved watching the Fab 5 though. Epic battles with Hurley and Laetner were awesome for all basketball fans.

I think it was in in Laetner's 30 for 30 that he talked about how the Fab 5 played the 'rough neighborhood' card really well but he said the Duke teams he was on had guys with just as hard or harder lives than the Fab 5.

They just covered it up with smugness.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think it was in in Laetner's 30 for 30 that he talked about how the Fab 5 played the 'rough neighborhood' card really well but he said the Duke teams he was on had guys with just as hard or harder lives than the Fab 5.

They just covered it up with smugness.
I know the Hurley boys are straight from the city. Grant Hill on the other hand was doing well.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I know the Hurley boys are straight from the city. Grant Hill on the other hand was doing well.

Yeah the 30 for 30 said Hill was basically the only teammate who came from a well-off family. Hurley came from a rough part of Jersey, and Laettner came from a working class family. The reputation of Duke as an elite university with privileged students helped to cloud all that out.

DuneFan

Nov 7, 2015
A trivia question aside: against what team was the Fab 5's first start (of all 5 freshmen) and first victory?

D

Deleted member 8507

A trivia question aside: against what team was the Fab 5's first start (of all 5 freshmen) and first victory?
Direct from WIki:
At first, only three of the freshmen started for the 1991–92 Michigan Wolverines men's basketball team. Although they all played when the season opened on December 2, 1991 against the University of Detroit, they did not all play at the same time until December 7 against Eastern Michigan and did not start regularly until February 9, 1992. In that first game starting together as a regular unit, the five freshmen scored all the team's points against Notre Dame.[11][12] They started as a unit in all but one of the remaining games for the season.[13] They reached the 1992 and 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship games as both freshmen and sophomores. However, most of their wins and both of their Final Four appearances were vacated due to Webber (and others) accepting money from Ed Martin, compromising their amateur status.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500