***Official USMNT Thread***

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Ya but how much does it cost? Just tuition. The travel cost doesn’t count for me because even if it was free tuition you still have to travel for tournaments or you won’t get better.

U9 and U10 Academy is what was being referred to earlier. Those are between $200-$300. U11 is when select programs start. The tuition for that is anywhere from $1,500 -$2,000 in the metro depending on where you are at. There are usually 1-2 mandatory overnight tourney's on top of that. The uniform cost is ~$200. This is in addition to tuition.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It’s not this easy though for an overwhelming majority of US talent. In general unless you are in a position to obtain a European passport, you can’t make the move to Europe until you are 18. Pulisic could go earlier because he was able to obtain a Croatian passport through his grandparents heritage.

If you come from a family that has multi-generational roots in the US, you don’t really have a choice in your early teen years. You’re going to be in a traditional club setting or with an MLS academy.
Even with a European passport they can't go until 16 because of FIFA regulations. The route Messi took is illegal today. Ben Lederman got into a huge legal mess because of moving into Barca's academy against FIFA rules. He's at Genk now, by the way.

Reactions: BLRNerd

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This slid under the radar a bit but should be noted.

A FIFA Panel has ruled that USSF must ensure that Premiere Crossfire recieves a solidarity payment for DeAndre Yedlin (MLS recently approved solidarity payments this year, it's been left off the table until recently because the MLS Players union didn't want it because it meant less money)

EDIT: MLS owes Crossfire $100,000
That's huge news. It's still a sham that domestic transfers won't get solidarity payments, but this is better than nothing.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Even with a European passport they can't go until 16 because of FIFA regulations. The route Messi took is illegal today. Ben Lederman got into a huge legal mess because of moving into Barca's academy against FIFA rules. He's at Genk now, by the way.

Like isn't this how Chelsea and etc. have gotten in trouble recently?

Also whomever is going to the Crew game tonight, I see the lineups and it's versus Atlanta, may god have mercy on your soul

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Like isn't this how Chelsea and etc. have gotten in trouble recently?

Also whomever is going to the Crew game tonight, I see the lineups and it's versus Atlanta, may god have mercy on your soul

That’s me. It’s US Open cup Round of 16 with USMNT in session so who knows what the lineups are going to look like.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Should we be hoping we lose? I feel like a lot of people want to see BIG changes being made, and wouldn't losing be the fastest way to see changes.

knightxc

Sep 5, 2014
MN
I don't think losing this match would really do anything....the USSF would just chalk it up to "a new coach" sadly

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Should we be hoping we lose? I feel like a lot of people want to see BIG changes being made, and wouldn't losing be the fastest way to see changes.

What big changes would be made? Say the crazies get their way and we lose all 3 group matches 12-0 and Berhalter is fired on the sideline before the 3rd match ends. What on Earth is going to happen? Pro/Rel isn’t happening, our player pool isn’t going to magically improve overnight, and Pep Guardiola isn’t going to leave Manchester to come coach the US.

knightxc

Sep 5, 2014
MN
The changes would have to start at the top, and that can't happen until the next USSF election. The only way anything gets changed with soccer in this country is if the people who vote for the president get tired of the money they are pocketing from the pay to play system.....so no changes will happen regardless of the results of the Gold Cup. We can change coaches all we want, but the problem is MUCH deeper than the coach

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What big changes would be made? Say the crazies get their way and we lose all 3 group matches 12-0 and Berhalter is fired on the sideline before the 3rd match ends. What on Earth is going to happen? Pro/Rel isn’t happening, our player pool isn’t going to magically improve overnight, and Pep Guardiola isn’t going to leave Manchester to come coach the US.

Just time to get behind the players and hope GH can get his system going now. I know it’s a good system for international soccer I’ve seen it work and raise up a pretty mediocre Crew side many times.

knightxc

Sep 5, 2014
MN
Just time to get behind the players and hope GH can get his system going now. I know it’s a good system for international soccer I’ve seen it work and raise up a pretty mediocre Crew side many times.
Agreed, he is a good coach. I think we will just have to deal with some growing pains here while the guys learn the system. I think this team will actually play really well in the Gold Cup. They all believe in him and the system just trying to make it a well oiled machine

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

The talk about Berhalter's system is starting to grate on me some. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fact that we have a coach that actually thinks about the game tactically. That's a vast improvement from the Klinsmann days. But I do worry about trying to implement a system that appears to be fairly complicated for international soccer. You don't get a lot of time to drill with the same group of players in these windows so there's something to be said for keeping it simple.

But most of all, at this point in time I just want to see 11 guys out there tonight who seem to GAF. Soccer is a very fluid game so an attacking 4-3-3 can become a 4-5-1 very easily. Berhalter has shown that you can defend with a back 4 and shift to a back 3 in attack. I enjoy those tactical wrinkles. However, I think the obsession with formations with some in the US fandom gets a little tedious.