Tips on Buying a Smoker for a novice?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don’t use water too often in my WSM. If I do it’s enough to evaporate.
I foil line the bowl and that helps too.
I’ll wait till next day to cleanup and allow cooling and will just flop the whole bottom in a trash bag, let the dust settle, throw the foil from the bowl in, and tie it all up.

Glad you found something that works well for you though. That’s the point of it all.

I tell myself I'll clean it tomorrow. What always ends up happening is that, due to how infrequently I actually use it, it just sits there until a day or two before I want to use it again and I spend an hour or two really scrubbing it down.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
By the time it ashes out it's not taking smoke any longer. Throw it in the oven covered until it's done. Perfection.

True statement. That is how I finish them now and the customers are pleased with the results. Looking forward to the day to put them on the smoker overnight and not having to tend the fire, rotate them, or move them into the house and into the oven. Once the “smoke is in them” I would just like to put them in pans, cover them, go to bed, and wake up to a meat candy breakfast.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
This thread reminds me of a saying a buddy of mine from Pekin taught me. It's mostly true too.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
By the time it ashes out it's not taking smoke any longer. Throw it in the oven covered until it's done. Perfection.

I had to do this yesterday. I'm on vacation at Lake Wallenpaupack in eastern PA, and I started cooking ribs on my uncle's gas grill. It worked fine the last time I was out here, and it was working for awhile yesterday, but then something went wrong with the connector to the propane and the burners weren't putting out enough heat to cook them in a reasonable time. But the packet of wood chips that I put in there had burned out, anyway, so I just tossed them in the oven for the last 90 minutes or so and they turned out fine.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I bought a Pit Boss because I'm not someone using it a lot so I didn't want to spend a bunch on it. I think it's actually built better than a lot of the popular brands and I've been really happy with how it works. It's temp control is very consistent which isn't what I expected.

If I was buying one now it'd be the new Traeger model.

• Agree
Reactions: tm3308

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I bought a Pit Boss because I'm not someone using it a lot so I didn't want to spend a bunch on it. I think it's actually built better than a lot of the popular brands and I've been really happy with how it works. It's temp control is very consistent which isn't what I expected.

If I was buying one now it'd be the new Traeger model.

Agreed. That thing looks badass, and firing it up like a grill to cook for one wouldn't be a hassle. My Weber SM just sits in the garage for the most part now because it's not worth firing it up to cook for just me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love my GMG DB. 4 years old, did my own mods by adding a fold out shelf on the front, and a second interior rack . Support upgraded me to new Wifi controller a month after I got it, on my third thermal coupler, upgraded to the style new fire box, new drip trays and they also sent me a new wiring harness. Have a new controller and thermal coupler coming in the next few days as back ups. None of these cost me a thing!! The thing sits outside covered when not in use and has a thermal blanket. Customer service has been awesome on it. I can cook 60 lbs of pork shoulder at a time. Smoked bacon and pork loin on it also. Sure I have had issues, but nothing to really complain about as much as I cook with it.

Family agreed with me that the baby backs I did on Sunday were the best they have had anywhere!!

Reactions: IceCyIce

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Agreed. That thing looks badass, and firing it up like a grill to cook for one wouldn't be a hassle. My Weber SM just sits in the garage for the most part now because it's not worth firing it up to cook for just me.
Apparently the timberline has a "more smoke" option.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I love my GMG DB. 4 years old, did my own mods by adding a fold out shelf on the front, and a second interior rack . Support upgraded me to new Wifi controller a month after I got it, on my third thermal coupler, upgraded to the style new fire box, new drip trays and they also sent me a new wiring harness. Have a new controller and thermal coupler coming in the next few days as back ups. None of these cost me a thing!! The thing sits outside covered when not in use and has a thermal blanket. Customer service has been awesome on it. I can cook 60 lbs of pork shoulder at a time. Smoked bacon and pork loin on it also. Sure I have had issues, but nothing to really complain about as much as I cook with it.

Family agreed with me that the baby backs I did on Sunday were the best they have had anywhere!!

I competed at the Heros smoke off in Johnston last weekend. One guy had 4 GMG set cooking like a mad man. A buddy called while I was there asking about pellet grills. I proceeded over to the GMG cookers and and sold the Daniel Boone . Thats an awesome unit!! I have the BGE but have flirted with getting a pellet grill too

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

I prefer to not have to know if customer service is any good. If I had to base it on this post, I wouldn't even consider a GMG. Maybe that's just me.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Was going to smoke spare ribs tomorrow, but the store was out so am doing baby back ribs for the first time. Doing the 3-2-1 method, and thinking putting some jack daniels in the foil during the 2 portion, so we'll see how that goes.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I prefer to not have to know if customer service is any good. If I had to base it on this post, I wouldn't even consider a GMG. Maybe that's just me.
That’s why I sold my GMG. Couldn’t keep consistent heat left to right and so much messing around with customer service, new control board, heat shields, etc.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Was going to smoke spare ribs tomorrow, but the store was out so am doing baby back ribs for the first time. Doing the 3-2-1 method, and thinking putting some jack daniels in the foil during the 2 portion, so we'll see how that goes.

When you do back ribs go with 2-2-1.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What temp, 225?

Yeah I usually try keeping it at 225 but as long as it's between 225 and 240 I'm good. But I use a barrel grill with offset smoker so regulating the temp is more of a challenge. If you have a digital setup I'd knock it at 225 and it should be good. I like your idea of Jack in the foil for the second two hours, I usually just use butter and apple juice but the Jack I'll bet adds a nice touch.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
Nothing can compete with a good Kamado in terms of versatility and taste IMO. It's an all in one solution for great everything. You don't need a BGE, I agree Kamado Joe is probably the best Kamado out there right now in terms of value, but they're both expensive.

Both of those will run you between $1,000-$1,600 new depending on which options you want. But they're also ceramic and will never rust, so they're going to outlast a pellet smoker, should last a lifetime with proper care, and they're lower maintenance too.

You can get knock off brand Kamado's in the $500-$600 range on sale, like a Visions or Pit Boss, I've got no experience with those though.

All that said, pellet smokers are much more convenient in terms of being able to just fire them up and go. The only thing I dislike about my Kamado Joe is that it will take 30-60 minutes to get to temp after getting home from work, so grilling steaks/burgers takes more time and you have to setup the firebox.

On positive side, being able to sear a steak/burger is my preferred way to cook them, and the Traegers I looked at could only get to 450-500 degrees, which was another reason I went with the Kamado Joe.

If you want something that makes idiot proof good food and is fast/convenient to startup, go with the pellet smoker. If you want something that is more versatile and will likely last a lifetime, but takes more time to startup, go with a Kamado.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When I wrap I do a little brown sugar, a little honey, and a couple pats of butter.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Anyone have a GMG prime grill yet? Any major upgrades from the older models ?