State of Iowa rejected vanity license plates

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I made it through a couple pages. Can you not start with a number or something? A lot of those denials don’t make any sense.

You can. My racecar trailer license plate is 15C

Which is my racecar #.

My racecar hauling truck is RacingCy

My personal car is CJS15

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Saw this one recently in Ames: UNIOWA

What do you see? I think most people see UNI/IOWA. I see UN-IOWA!

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Looks like it's not all-inclusive, they rejected four of my options when I applied a few years back but none are on the list.

Iowa may have updated their process since I moved away, but Indiana (where I live now) has a much better system than my past experience in Iowa - the agent at the Indiana DMV inputs your desired plate in real-time and confirms with you sitting there if the plate is available/spelling etc. No submitting various options on a form to a black box to have them all denied for no reason, you can explain to a real human the meaning if something might look weird. Only downside is that Indiana doesn't offer Iowa State plates...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Looks like it's not all-inclusive, they rejected four of my options when I applied a few years back but none are on the list.

Iowa may have updated their process since I moved away, but Indiana (where I live now) has a much better system than my past experience in Iowa - the agent at the Indiana DMV inputs your desired plate in real-time and confirms with you sitting there if the plate is available/spelling etc. No submitting various options on a form to a black box to have them all denied for no reason, you can explain to a real human the meaning if something might look weird. Only downside is that Indiana doesn't offer Iowa State plates...

You can check availability on the State of Iowa DOT website. You just start the process like you are actually registering a vehicle and go through the process of entering a vanity plate number and explanation to see if it is available. It doesn't grant it to you, but you can check availability.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
They can't be in the same format as 'regular' plates. So, my 1100011 wouldn't qualify because there are regular plates that are all numbers. I had to substitute the 000 (zeros) with OOO (letters). Same goes for 3 numbers followed by 3 letters.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
You can. My racecar trailer license plate is 15C

Which is my racecar #.

My racecar hauling truck is RacingCy

My personal car is CJS15
Trailer license plates are way different than car license plates though. Starting with a number might still be fine with cars though, idk. But trailer plates are always in a weird format compared to cars.

I would guess a number of them are denied due to how difficult it is to read. Lots of 1s, 0s, can look like Is and and Os. Law enforcement probably wouldn't be a fan.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Trailer license plates are way different than car license plates though. Starting with a number might still be fine with cars though, idk. But trailer plates are always in a weird format compared to cars.

I would guess a number of them are denied due to how difficult it is to read. Lots of 1s, 0s, can look like Is and and Os. Law enforcement probably wouldn't be a fan.

It's a large trailer with a normal size license plate and not a small license plate. Not sure if that matters though.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

The trailer that we use for hauling tailgate gear has a license plate that starts with "CY." Totally random.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
It's a large trailer with a normal size license plate and not a small license plate. Not sure if that matters though.
I have no idea. I know trailers we have at the farm are in different formats than cars and pickups, grain truck is the same way I think.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It would be helpful if they outlined all of the regular numbering combinations that are used so people didn't have to guess or learn by trial and error. I cannot find that on their website. Things like the following would be helpful:
ABC 123
123 ABC
1234567 (any number of digits)
ISU 0001
UI 0001
UNI 0001
123 FD
AB 1234
AB 123
N 1234
etc.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I have thought of trolling Iowa with "TERKY" I don't see me bothering with a vanity plate soon so if you want to try to get it, no worries from me.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I don't remember if it was in Iowa or somewhere else, but I can't believe this one made it through the review process:

MOMSLTZ

(Middle-aged woman with a Chevy Silverado LTZ)

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Are some of the plates denied because they are already taken? That would explain some of the basic plates being turned down

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron