***Official Y Cap City Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Looking at the rest of the roster and Leech is 6’5 160 :eek:

I am sure the staff and him will be working on adding strength will be a focus this year. Not sure how much his current wait affect his finishing at the hoop, but likely would affect his defense.
Still Leech's shot from the outside is looking pure, thus he should have a solid opportunity to see minutes this year at the 2-3 right away.
Considering how much of an unknown ML was due to injury, him going out even in the CCL and scoring at will was #1 take away from the night for me.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I didn't see it and don't care about Cap City. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me want him in the rotation in 2 years.
If you have those thoughts keep them to yourself instead of being a prick and posting them on a public message board for all to see. There are plenty of examples of players getting better during their time in college. Even if he doesn't make the rotation there's no need to refer to him as a disappointment.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I didn't see it and don't care about Cap City. I haven't seen anything from him that makes me want him in the rotation in 2 years.

I agree. Whether it’s appropriate or not is debatable but i appreciate Artic Zone sharing his insight as they’ve shown to have some degree of inside info.

Lewis has played 48 games of D1 basketball, enough time to form an opinion of him. My opinion is that he’s not a big 12 level player. if he can only shoot 25% from the HS line (albeit 1 CCL game) i can see why the staff is allegedly disappointed and can understand why others would be too.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I agree. Whether it’s appropriate or not is debatable but i appreciate Artic Zone sharing his insight as they’ve shown to have some degree of inside info.

Lewis has played 48 games of D1 basketball, enough time to form an opinion of him. My opinion is that he’s not a big 12 level player. if he can only shoot 25% from the HS line (albeit 1 CCL game) i can see why the staff is allegedly disappointed and can understand why others would be too.
So you don't want Prentiss Nixon to play either?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
So you don't want Prentiss Nixon to play either?

Where’d i say that? Prentiss Nixon has played 94 d1 games and has shown to be a very capable player. Lewis has not.

I really don’t want to turn this into a mud slinging “he sucks.. you suck... everyone sucks” thread. I have an opinion, you have an opinion. We all have opinions.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Where’d i say that? Prentiss Nixon has played 94 d1 games and has shown to be a very capable player. Lewis has not.

I really don’t want to turn this into a mud slinging “he sucks.. you suck... everyone sucks” thread. I have an opinion, you have an opinion. We all have opinions.
Prentiss had 21 points while shooting 3/6 from 2 and 5/18 from 3.
Lewis had 42 points while shooting 12/15 from 2 and 3/12 from 3.

I thought we were judging off this one week in CCL?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Zion looks a lot bigger than last year..height and weight...and that is good. Have to remember that Zion just started to play competitive b-ball a few years ago really. He has a lot of growth yet but his potential is def there.. I’d like to see Zion in a role of playing large wing or small PF spot.. Him putting on weight and looking 6’7ish to me I love and think he will def be one first off bench spelling MJ or SY..

Getting Tre and Bolton alleviated my concern about our backcourt...both those kids can shoot..especially Tre..kids has wicked quick release and is oozing with confidence when he shoots.. but both have good handles and really quick and can take it too rim as well....Check and check.

Nixon wearing brace on his wrist..maybe precautionary idk...To me he seems like more of a scorer...kind of a all around type guard who can defend and won’t make a ton of mistakes...just seems like that type.

Leech..whoa. Idk how much he will play this year but he looks like a perfect 3 who is still growing but he’s 6’6 right now with long arms who can flat out stroke it. Offensively the kid is super skilled but it’s the other end that will determine how much he plays.

Like others have said it’s Cap City league so it’s glorified pick up ball vs other solid guys.. but it gives one a view of who appears talented and who doesn’t.

Reactions: isutrevman

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Prentiss had 21 points while shooting 3/6 from 2 and 5/18 from 3.
Lewis had 42 points while shooting 12/15 from 2 and 3/12 from 3.

I thought we were judging off this one week in CCL?

Alright fine, I’ll rescind my CCL judgment of Lewis since this league isn’t exactly the best analysis of talent. I’ll still defer to the 48 games I’ve seen Lewis play in at ISU and hold the opinion that he’s not a Big 12 level player. That’s just my opinion though, I’m sure some will disagree and that’s fine. We’re not all going to agree on everything on this site.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
As for Lewis and all the Lewis discussion...Lewis is trying to be something he’s not and has for 3 years. Where TL excelled in games was cutting to the rim and moving without the ball...he’s really excellent at both these. He needs to become a sorta junkyard type player with occasional 3pt shooting...Hogue type... but that requires defense and defense is all about your feet and anticipation..something TL hasn’t shown yet. Becoming a really good defender is all about off season work... not putting up another 500 shots from 3 at the gym.

But you either have the mindset to make it happen or you don’t.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
I am sure the staff and him will be working on adding strength will be a focus this year. Not sure how much his current wait affect his finishing at the hoop, but likely would affect his defense.
Still Leech's shot from the outside is looking pure, thus he should have a solid opportunity to see minutes this year at the 2-3 right away.
Considering how much of an unknown ML was due to injury, him going out even in the CCL and scoring at will was #1 take away from the night for me.
Oh for sure, it just stood out to me at first. Honestly I’d guess it would affect his finishing/ability to get to the rim more than anything as Haliburton was very skinny and still managed to be a good defender, but Leech’s quickness could also help make up for his weight/frame in regards to getting to the rack.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Honestly sometimes things just don't work out. I never want to bang on a kid because to get to this level, you have to make sacrifices most people aren't willing to do. Also, it would be extremely disappointing like you said for the staff, but probably moreso for the kid. Best of luck to him in life, but I'd rather see younger players get minutes over him this year.

Well, looks like the fans who, for whatever reason, need a punching bag each and every season already have theirs picked out for the upcoming season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I like how many unique body types we have on the team. If Tre Jackson can get up to speed on the defensive concepts he will play. As usual, everyone will be be surprised when guys like Leech and Grill play a lot less than they think they will. If Conditt can get to the point where Prohm can’t keep him out of the starting 5 we will be sitting pretty to make the tourney. Huge defensive X factor with his size. Changes everything.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well, looks like the fans who, for whatever reason, need a punching bag each and every season already have theirs picked out for the upcoming season.
Some posters are being fair in saying he's yet to show anything outstanding and has yet to prove he's ready to play significant minutes, which is true. His freshman season he was very raw and I think there was some things he did well to end the year. Last year he did not take that step that we thought he would, but he also was playing behind some talented wing players which probably hurt his confidence. Tough to take minutes away from NWB, Shayok, and Halliburton. This is the year he has to prove himself. Playing time is open for the taking at that position and he'll have the opportunity to take it if he's willing to get better in certain areas.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi