AD to Lakers, could open a spot for Shayok

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Probably a long shot but it makes a lot of sense. The Lakers currently only have six guys under contract which includes a project PG they drafted in the 2nd round last year and Curso a 2-way contract who should be a solid backup PG.

Rumors abound on signing Kemba or Kyrie on max or close to deals will causes a need for cheap contracts. Guessing they resign McGee and add another rim protector on the cheap basically leaving a huge void at the 2.

They'll likely find their starting 2 with a veteran exemption contract but his backup could end up being an undrafted free agent. Just thought a guy like Shayok might be a perfect fit for a team looking for cheap shooters.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not sure what the relationship was like with AD but Boogie to the Lakers would be interesting.
I actually like Russel’s game a lot and it sounds like the Nets won’t retain him if they get Kyrie, so he’d be a possibility. I’d take him over Kemba.

• Useful
Reactions: Cyke

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Probably a long shot but it makes a lot of sense. The Lakers currently only have six guys under contract which includes a project PG they drafted in the 2nd round last year and Curso a 2-way contract who should be a solid backup PG.

Rumors abound on signing Kemba or Kyrie on max or close to deals will causes a need for cheap contracts. Guessing they resign McGee and add another rim protector on the cheap basically leaving a huge void at the 2.

They'll likely find their starting 2 with a veteran exemption contract but his backup could end up being an undrafted free agent. Just thought a guy like Shayok might be a perfect fit for a team looking for cheap shooters.

While it makes sense and your right it would be a logical fit, NWB too. There will be a lot of similar players that are comparable to Marial and Nick the Lakers could choose from though. Some of who may have connection to Klutch sports. Has Marial worked out for the Lakers yet?

I was actually thinking this could get Matt another look. He had a good summer league with the Lakers a couple of years ago with a lot of the same Front office people. Not sure what his contract situation is, but if he can play summer league for them he could make a case.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Cyke

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
While it makes sense and your ringh it would be a logical fit, NWB too. There will be a lot of similar players that are comparable to Marial and Nick the Lakers could choose from though. Some of who may have connection to Klutch sports. Has Marial worked out for the Lakers yet?

I was actually thinking this could get Matt another look. He had a good summer league with the Lakers a couple of years ago with a lot of the same Front office people. Not sure what his contract situation is, but if he can play summer league for them he could make a case.
I mentioned in the other thread that he's still under contract to Valencia BC for another season so he wouldn't have the option himself.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Summer league ball should be pretty fun to watch this year. I would guess that Naz will be on the Utah team again and then there's LW, NWB, THT, Shayock, Lard.

Reactions: kentkel

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
As much as I'd like to see this happen, it seems a little biased. There will be a long line of undrafted free agents. Plus think of all the veterans that will be ring chasing that can sign at the vet-minimum salary.

Also, with a personality like that, I don't know if Kyrie could survive in LA. He's just a weird dude. #FlatEarth

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
As much as I'd like to see this happen, it seems a little biased. There will be a long line of undrafted free agents. Plus think of all the veterans that will be ring chasing that can sign at the vet-minimum salary.

Also, with a personality like that, I don't know if Kyrie could survive in LA. He's just a weird dude. #FlatEarth

On one hand LA seems like a good place for weird dudes. On the other hand, the media glare is more intense than most other markets.

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Very curious to see what the Lakers do. However, I'd bet against Shayok simply because LeBron hates playing with rookies. It's one of the reasons he always makes the franchises he plays for just give away all of their picks for current players.

Right fully so. Lebron's contract is 2 years (with a 3rd year player option) he doesn't have time to wait on a 19 year old develop into a starter.

Thing is the Lakers only have 23 million to spend with 6 players under contract currently and no impact draft picks. There is 15 spots on the bench, their FO going to need to fill out the final 4-5 spots with undrafted rookies. That is the place where a Wigginton, Shayok, NWB or even Lard, if undrafted, could get signed to and make a roster just due to money concerns.
The Lakers wouldn't be signing any of those guys with a plan on them playing with Lebron rather practice bodies to complete the bench. If your anyone of those guys you take the opportunity and prove yourself during the year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Right fully so. Lebron's contract is 2 years (with a 3rd year player option) he doesn't have time to wait on a 19 year old develop into a starter.

Thing is the Lakers only have 23 million to spend with 6 players under contract currently and no impact draft picks. There is 15 spots on the bench, their FO going to need to fill out the final 4-5 spots with undrafted rookies. That is the place where a Wigginton, Shayok, NWB or even Lard, if undrafted, could get signed to and make a roster just due to money concerns.
The Lakers wouldn't be signing any of those guys with a plan on them playing with Lebron rather practice bodies to complete the bench. If your anyone of those guys you take the opportunity and prove yourself during the year.

They aren't going to have 4 or 5 undrafted rookies on their roster. They can sign guys for the vet minimum too. They will be fishing hard for vets who want to ring chase.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
They had (sp) Polashke? on the Dan Patrick show today and he said he was happy with the trade, but looks like now the deal will be done on a date that won't allow the lakers to clear like another $10 million in cap space, so while the trade was good, he didn't think they'd have the space to sign Kemba or Kyrie and certainly not both.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
They aren't going to have 4 or 5 undrafted rookies on their roster. They can sign guys for the vet minimum too. They will be fishing hard for vets who want to ring chase.

Well see, Vet minimum is more than a rookie's minimum and they need to get two starter (PG&SG) plus 4-5 role players at vet discounts for 23 milion (today). That leaves 5 spots for players not likely to play, They may not have the choice to sign vet minimum players. Couple of million difference on the minimum you can use matters with the salary cap.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well see, Vet minimum is more than a rookie's minimum and they need to get two starter (PG&SG) plus 4-5 role players at vet discounts for 23 milion (today). That leaves 5 spots for players not likely to play, They may not have the choice to sign vet minimum players. Couple of million difference on the minimum you can use matters with the salary cap.

There's a vet minimum exception once you hit the cap, you can continue to sign players for minimum salaries to fill out your roster.

Goofyguy1

Feb 18, 2017
Maybe Daddy Ball can prove his expertise by taking over Prohms job and not have any other focus. His 3 kids would be happy. LOL

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They had (sp) Polashke? on the Dan Patrick show today and he said he was happy with the trade, but looks like now the deal will be done on a date that won't allow the lakers to clear like another $10 million in cap space, so while the trade was good, he didn't think they'd have the space to sign Kemba or Kyrie and certainly not both.
They better spread out their remaining cap space for ring chasing shooters instead of being extremely top heavy with LBJ, AD and {Star}. Even though Kawhi's name is starting to get linked to the Lakers now. If he's in you absolutely take him and figure out the rest. Even if that's calling DWade to come out of retirement (paperwork isn't officially filed apparently) and taking someone like...Carmelo!

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
They better spread out their remaining cap space for ring chasing shooters instead of being extremely top heavy with LBJ, AD and {Star}. Even though Kawhi's name is starting to get linked to the Lakers now. If he's in you absolutely take him and figure out the rest. Even if that's calling DWade to come out of retirement (paperwork isn't officially filed apparently) and taking someone like...Carmelo!

Carmelo would be a total disaster.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Carmelo would be a total disaster.
The Melo and DWade name drops were just for fun. I agree that would not be good.

But there should be ring chasing vets out there.
Trevor Ariza (has one but is old and probably wants to compete)
JJ Redick
Rudy Gay
Danny Green (has two rings but probably wants to keep winning)
Darren Collison
Rajon Rondo back?
Nikola Mirotic
Patrick Beverly
Robin and Brook Lopez
Seth Curry
Jeff Green
Channing Frye (has a ring but is cheap and available)
Jamal Crawford
Wayne Ellington
Austin Rivers
Kenneth Faried
DeAndre Jordan
Ricky Rubio

Reactions: Peter