Drop-In workouts in Ames and Coralville

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
We're heading back to Iowa to visit family in a couple weeks and I'd like to avoid missing two weeks of workouts since I've JUST gotten back to it after nearly 6 months off. I plan to hit the hotel gyms on the drive out and back, even though they're usually a joke. But we'll be staying with family so no weights available. Looking for a place I can drop in and do some barbell work. Any recommendations?

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
We have plenty of tires and tree limbs in our ditches, so the Rocky 4 workout is always available.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
If you are an alumni association member with active alumni card I think you can get day passes for campus rec facilities at ISU.

https://www.recservices.iastate.edu/facilities/policies/facility-usage-all-patrons/

You can but you are supposed to have an ISUCard which runs $15 a year and you have to go get it first.
https://www.isucard.iastate.edu/affiliate

They have let me buy day passes without it in the past, but it depends on who is working since you are supposed to have the ISUCard.

• Informative
Reactions: DeereClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
We're heading back to Iowa to visit family in a couple weeks and I'd like to avoid missing two weeks of workouts since I've JUST gotten back to it after nearly 6 months off. I plan to hit the hotel gyms on the drive out and back, even though they're usually a joke. But we'll be staying with family so no weights available. Looking for a place I can drop in and do some barbell work. Any recommendations?
What's your concern? If your worried about losing gains don't. What little you'll lose in a couple weeks you'll get right back. If you just want to keep the habit you could go for runs or come up with a quick calisthenics program to keep you in the habit of working out with whatever space is available.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Only place I’ve gone in IC area is Planet Fitness but they only have smith machines. There is an Aspen Athletic in CR if you are willing to drive 15 miles north. It’s a full gym with everything you’d expect.
Not sure on Ames but Ankeny has a nice Fitness World. Ames used to have Ames Racquet and Fitness. Of course Lied and State gyms are on campus.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I have a set of gymnastics rings that I often take on the road with me. They don’t take much room in the suitcase but you can still get a great workout. You only need a bar or branch to hang them from.

Ring pull-ups
Ring pushups
Inverted rows
Dips
Mountain climbers
Planks

Swing sets at city parks can be great locations but can get you some strange looks.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
What's your concern? If your worried about losing gains don't. What little you'll lose in a couple weeks you'll get right back. If you just want to keep the habit you could go for runs or come up with a quick calisthenics program to keep you in the habit of working out with whatever space is available.
Its absolutely about the habit. And I like to do powerlifting type training, so aerobic stuff isn't what I'm looking for. Squats, bench, deadlift. If it were just going for a jog I wouldn't even worry about asking.