Travel - Seattle to Portland

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
Hello Fanatics, another travel thread. I have gotten great travel advice here before (Napa/Sonoma and Europe) so I thought I would see what you all know about the Seattle/Portland areas and between.

We will fly into Seattle and have 8 nights to get to Portland before we fly out. Going in mid-August. We will spend a little time in each city, also planning on going to Mt. Rainer/Mt. Hood and/or possibly Mt. St Helens for hiking, we’ve seen some other scenic hikes to do with some waterfalls, and have been looking at restaurants/bars in the cities. Nothing is set in stone yet, except flights.

We are looking mainly for recommendations on what to do between cities, including vineyard recommendations, where to stay, how to travel (car rental) etc. Also open to city specific advice (neither of us have been there before, but a lot of travel blogs do cover the cities fairly thoroughly).

Thanks!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Perfect time to visit - nothing better than a PNW summer! You can hit Pike Place Market and the Seattle Aquarium (basically across the street from each other) in a day, and the big waterfront ferris wheel is right there too.

The Space Needle/International Fountain is in a different area ("Seattle Center" but not in central Seattle) so you'd need to drive between the two. Seattle Center also has the Pacific Science Center and the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP). MoPOP is pretty cool but I'd probably skip the science center without kids. Though they do have two IMAX theaters.

T-Mobile Park is a nice stadium if the Mariners are in town while you're here, though the baseball isn't very good...

The main zoo is Woodland Park, and it's big. Usually takes our family most of the day to see the whole thing. There's a smaller zoo at Point Defiance but I haven't been there.

There is a city pass you can buy that gets you into al the big attractions over the course of a week at a significantly reduced price. https://www.citypass.com/seattle?mr...TgVx8LV9ps3OZ6ISCJ1CA1QXYp---FnMaArBzEALw_wcB

We live north of Seattle and do most of our outdoor stuff up here so I can't help much with the stuff outside or south of Seattle.

Reactions: Angie and ISUCHIEF

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Space Needle might be a cliché, but it is an absolutely gorgeous view of Seattle and Puget Sound if you can make it up to the top of it. The area around it has a series of neat museums and art displays, as well, to round out a half-day visit to it.

If you are into wine and/or pretty rural scenery, I would recommend going a little to the west and south of Portland on the way to Salem through this area...

upload_2019-6-15_14-45-18.png

...on the bank of the Willamette Valley. Oregon has something of a "Napa North" in that region, founded by some California expats who headed north, and it is some of the most beautiful scenery you are going to find on this continent, too, while you are there.

Here is a more specified map/site...

https://www.winesnw.com/mid-will_vly_eola_amity_district_mcminn_map.html

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Go East to Hood River. It's an incredible town and will be awesome this time of year. Wineries, waterfalls nearby, breweries. I love that area.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We went on a 4 day trip to Seattle/Mnt Ranier last august.

Spent 2 nights in Seattle just sight seeing and eating/drinking great food. I'm sure any googling of Seattle would tell you as much as I could.

We brought our camping gear on the flight and camped the next two nights at Cougar Rock campground at the base of Mnt Ranier which was amazing. There's a lodge and hotels up further but if you're an experienced camper I think you'd enjoy what we did more. We didn't have snow mountaineering gear but even it august a 3-4 mile hike from the main lodge got us into glacier like conditions. We trudged about a half mile or so up a glacier and used garbage bags wrapped around our lower bodies to glissade back down on our butts which was a blast.

The airport is kind of on your way back from Mnt Ranier national park so you don't have to drive all the way through Seattle again if you do it after the city.

I hike in the Sierra's all the time and even with a lot of people at Mnt Ranier I saw a lot more wildlife. We saw maybe 30 marmots, lots of deer, lots of birds including some huge ground dwelling birds I had no idea existed. We're getting a little more into mountaineering/climbing and I think our "Mnt Everest" might be summiting Mnt Ranier with all the training it requires but just hiking up as far as any person comfortably can is stunning.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Seattle: Bill Speidel's Underground Tour & Ballard Locks

The Oregon Coast by Astoria is beautiful. There is a Columbia River Maritime Museum. Definitely worth the $ to stay at the Cannery Pier there. Also many other neat sights/towns on the coastal drive..

Mt. Hood has year-round skiing. Historic Timberline Lodge is there. ("Here's Johnny...") The drive from the town of Hood River to Mt. Hood is called the Fruit Loop Tour.

I agree with checking out the Columbia River Gorge, including Multnomah Falls!

Enjoy your trip. Beautiful country!!

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Seattle is great, but we went to Portland last winter for a milestone birthday of mine, and it is now easily my favorite city in the US (and we've been to a lot of them). This was our itinerary:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3QYAnhS0VlA6PorH4HK1ffWy_zF6D96e1VK35Xf5t4/edit?usp=sharing

There's very little that I wouldn't recommend. Some highlights:

Food:
- Fried Egg I'm In Love - food truck on Pioneer Courthouse Square, or else they also have a dedicated location that is also good, but it's amazing breakfast sandwiches that are so good we went twice in four days.
- Pok Pok - Guy Fieri went here for DDD once (I believe), and it is seriously the best chicken wings I've ever had. I'm sure their other food is great, but get the Vietnamese chicken wings. Even just google them and salivate, they're amazing. They have several locations.
- Wiz Bang Bar - one of Salt & Straw's ice cream locations, and S&S is the best ice cream in the city with very strong contenders. In a cool little indoor market.
- Donuts - Voodoo vs Blue Star - Blue Star wins, all day err day.
- Lardo - fantastic sandwiches downtown. Seriously so good, as are the Lardo fries.
- Rimsky Korsakofee House - tea room/dessert place that's haunted. Very bizarre and Portland-ish, we loved it. Go to the bathroom upstairs.
- Por Que No? - maybe some of the best tacos I've ever had, and the chips and salsa were fantastic.
- Annex bar - everything the McMenamins group touches in Portland is pretty amazing, but this one is right downtown and cool.

Sites to Visit:
- Paxton Gate - it's so very Portland weird. It's been featured both on Portlandia and in Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars" episode with Fred Armisen - we made friends with the gal who was in the episode when she was, like, our weird crap concierge. It was my favorite place in all of Portland.
- Portland Night Market - it's only open every so often, but if it's going when you're there, definitely visit. Very cool, laid-back. Plenty to drink and all kinds of CBD products, if you're into that.
- Powell's Books - build in enough time to spend at least a few hours there, if you're a book person. It was my happy place.
- Ground Kontrol - retro bar/arcade. The whole place was neat, but Janny got to sit there for an hour and a half while I rang up the high score on Dr. Mario on one quarter.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Seattle is great, but we went to Portland last winter for a milestone birthday of mine, and it is now easily my favorite city in the US (and we've been to a lot of them). This was our itinerary:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3QYAnhS0VlA6PorH4HK1ffWy_zF6D96e1VK35Xf5t4/edit?usp=sharing

Food:
- Fried Egg I'm In Love - food truck on Pioneer Courthouse Square, or else they also have a dedicated location that is also good, but it's amazing breakfast sandwiches that are so good we went twice in four days.
- Pok Pok - Guy Fieri went here for DDD once (I believe), and it is seriously the best chicken wings I've ever had. I'm sure their other food is great, but get the Vietnamese chicken wings. Even just google them and salivate, they're amazing. They have several locations.
- Wiz Bang Bar - one of Salt & Straw's ice cream locations, and S&S is the best ice cream in the city with very strong contenders.
- Lardo - fantastic sandwiches downtown. Seriously so good, as are the Lardo fries.
- Rimsky Korsakofee House - tea room/dessert place that's haunted. Very bizarre and Portland-ish, we loved it. Go to the bathroom upstairs.
- Por Que No? - maybe some of the best tacos I've ever had, and the chips and salsa were fantastic.
- Annex bar - everything the McMenamins group touches in Portland is pretty amazing, but this one is right downtown and cool.

Sites to Visit:
- Paxton Gate - it's so very Portland weird. It's been featured both on Portlandia and in Jerry Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars" episode with Fred Armisen - we made friends with the gal who was in the episode when she was, like, our weird crap concierge. It was my favorite place in all of Portland.
- Portland Night Market - it's only open every so often, but if it's going when you're there, definitely visit. Very cool, laid-back. Plenty to drink and all kinds of CBD products, if you're into that.
- Powell's Books - build in enough time to spend at least a few hours there, if you're a book person. It was my happy place.
Outstanding list.
Not to critique it but I'd also add:
https://kensartisan.com/
https://japanesegarden.org
(Rose garden is next to it and is free)
As Angie mentioned the Annex is awesome. They also have a basement bar but the street level triangle bar room is so cool.

If you are in Seattle and wanna get weird (yes you do), get a hot dog and Rainier at Shortys.

• Friendly

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Food:
- Wiz Bang Bar - one of Salt & Straw's ice cream locations, and S&S is the best ice cream in the city with very strong contenders. In a cool little indoor market.

Sites to Visit:
- Ground Kontrol - retro bar/arcade. The whole place was neat, but Janny got to sit there for an hour and a half while I rang up the high score on Dr. Mario on one quarter.
You didn't mention the Vampire themed, vegan Gentleman's club.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You didn't mention the Vampire themed, vegan Gentleman's club.
Tell us more.
Apparently a good couples activity for Angie and Janny
uu9pmDP.gif

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tell us more.
Lol. Portland is known for it's Gentleman's clubs. They have a lot of them. Angie had zero desire to visit one, however. But, when we saw one that was both Vampire themed and vegan, it was enough to convince her to check it out. It was not a long visit

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Food:

Sites to Visit:
Agree on the donuts...was at Voodoo on 3rd Avenue 2 hours ago...had Blue Star at the airport.

You can also head down highway 20 from Salem towards Bend...beautiful country there.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Outstanding list.
Not to critique it but I'd also add:
https://kensartisan.com/
https://japanesegarden.org
(Rose garden is next to it and is free)
As Angie mentioned the Annex is awesome. They also have a basement bar but the street level triangle bar room is so cool.

If you are in Seattle and wanna get weird (yes you do), get a hot dog and Rainier at Shortys.

You are awesome!! We are going back in November, so I am adding these to my list.

Lol. Portland is known for it's Gentleman's clubs. They have a lot of them. Angie had zero desire to visit one, however. But, when we saw one that was both Vampire themed and vegan, it was enough to convince her to check it out. It was not a long visit

So much of this is BS. Yes, it is not my traditional idea of a good time, but PDX has the highest number of clubs per capita, so I looked at the weirdest. I suggested From Dusk Til Dawn (2), thank you very much! If we were going to go, I wanted it to be bizarre. It was. We were there for a few hours, but it wasn’t quite as vampire-y as promised. I think the NW location is more Lestat and less Lost Boys.

Agree on the donuts...was at Voodoo on 3rd Avenue 2 hours ago...had Blue Star at the airport.

You can also head down highway 20 from Salem towards Bend...beautiful country there.

Blue Star is just so much better! Gotta get there early at the airport location or else they sell out!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh - where to stay in PDX. I wanted to do the coolest experience possible - and that is The Ace, hands down. It is relatively inexpensive, very military chic. Record players in each room, a Stumptown Coffee and an old photo booth downstairs. The bar in it (Clyde Common) has world-wide award winning bartenders. I loved it, Janny less so - it was not exactly luxe. But so cool. There is a bar called something like Coco la Moco or something right around the corner that is super trendy, and it is a block and a half from Powell’s. Not far from Deschutes and the breweries.

We are staying at Hotel Vintage next time, to accommodate Janny’s preference for a bed that isn’t a futon. It is very nice, part of the Kimpton chain. Kimpton and McMenamin have the most unique hotels in town - I want to stay at The Crystal, but it is always booked.

Just my opinion, but I would try and do four days in each place. We loved Seattle, EMP especially (with the Sci Fi museum right next door), as well as Pike’s. It was really cool, I just prefer the weirdness of Portland. Don’t use an umbrella at either.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Help Support Us

Become a patron