***Official Smoking (Meat and Stuff) Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
lasagna.
and thanks for my next idea for next weekend. mac n cheese is next.
Hmm. never would have thought of smoking lasagna. interesting.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/P...4_TIv8MfZrAccvxgaQhTCjYhlMfyXqODr5etz1kYAQIQ0

this was the general recipe we followed. used just Italian sausage instead of maple, then didn't have dried tomato and garlic pesto at all. wasn't able to smoke the beef or sausage prior either so just browned them on the stove. and only able to go up to 275 with my smoker so did that for an 1hr and a half instead of the 375 for 45. could probably use just about any recipe and just throw it in the smoker though.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/P...4_TIv8MfZrAccvxgaQhTCjYhlMfyXqODr5etz1kYAQIQ0

this was the general recipe we followed. used just Italian sausage instead of maple, then didn't have dried tomato and garlic pesto at all. wasn't able to smoke the beef or sausage prior either so just browned them on the stove. and only able to go up to 275 with my smoker so did that for an 1hr and a half instead of the 375 for 45. could probably use just about any recipe and just throw it in the smoker though.
Was it good?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did a 6.5 lb eye of round yesterday. Not a bad price at Sam's at $2.98 lb. Let it rest for an hour and it turned out great! I was going to do a sear on it at the very end, but it didn't turn out well. Next time I need to clean the smoker (had about 10 cooks on it prior) before I do that again! Let's just say 10 prior cooks at temps of no higher than 300 and then going to a 500 sear temp was like adding gasoline to a fire. With grease built up on drip pan it didn't take long for a roaring fire to start. Closed the lid, turn off the fan and let it burn it self out. (meat was taken off prior to the roaring fire). Lesson learned.

The only good thing was it cleaned the drip pan really well! Just took a brush and cleaned off all the petrified left over stuff that was on it.

Also had to clean racks to get rid of the black soot and the underside of the chimney cap as that had a lot of burned stuff on it also.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyientist

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Going to smoke a pork butt this weekend, and I always like to change it up a little each time. I'm going for a really sweet flavor. Going to do a mix of apple and pecan wood. Going to be putting a bunch of brown sugar on; any other tips to get a really sweet and fruity flavor? Getting really crazy, but would putting jelly on it help (would do this when temp hits 165 and I wrap it in foil at that point)

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Going to smoke a pork butt this weekend, and I always like to change it up a little each time. I'm going for a really sweet flavor. Going to do a mix of apple and pecan wood. Going to be putting a bunch of brown sugar on; any other tips to get a really sweet and fruity flavor? Getting really crazy, but would putting jelly on it help (would do this when temp hits 165 and I wrap it in foil at that point)
I doubt jelly would do much but what about injecting it with peach or pineapple juice!

Reactions: CloneGuy8

kurimski

Apr 11, 2006
Great idea. I've read about injecting but never have done it. Might be a good time to give it a shot
I usually inject mine with apple juice the night before and keep it wrapped up to really hold the moisture and flavor in. Also do brown sugar and some other seasoning on the outside. Always turns out great and has a good sweet and Smokey flavor.
Hope yours turns out well!

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

1 can frozen orange juice and a hint of italian seasoning in it. Years ago won me 3rd place at the state fair. I marinated the meat in it then used as a glaze. Thickened with cornstarch and is a beautiful sauce to lay the meat in.
edit found original recipe.

12OZ frozen orange juice...2cups water...1/2cup brown sugar...2tsp salt...1tsp marjoram..1tsp rosemary...1/2 tsp black pepper...refrigerate 8 hours over roast. this is not a smoking recipe just an old recipe from my archives (1982). Weber charcoal - indirect.

Last edited:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Anyone use pink butcher paper instead of foil? I started a couple months ago love it and 175' of it on amazon was around 15 bucks. 24"wide.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm going to try pork belly burnt ends this weekend. We'll see how it goes
Pork belly burnt ends turned out really well.
I cut the pork belly into cubes and hit them with rub last night. Then I threw them in the smoker at 225 for about 3 hours with hickory. After that I threw them in an aluminum pans with some BBQ sauce, butter, honey and more rub. Covered the pan with foil and stuck them back in for another hour. Finally, I pulled the foil off for the last 15 minutes to let the sauce get tacky.
They were a big hit. Just a flavor explosion.
Still, lessons for next time:
1) Cut them smaller. I had pretty thick pork belly, and I should have cut them into no larger than inch cubes.
2) leave them on longer. I had a time deadline, so I had to pull them sooner than I wanted. Another hour would have let them build up even more bark.
3) leave them in the the pan longer. This is really where the fat rendered, and if I could have left them in there even longer, I think it would have been even better.

Still, these were awesome. I'm definitely doing them again.

Reactions: STATE12 and Acylum