Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I wish they would have designed Hilton like this. jk
635859519934841319-HiltonRendering.jpg

That would actually look badass every time it flooded. Like a giant ark!

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Not to beat a dead horse, but that sumbich needs kicked one more time.

I really don't understand why any institution with the funds would have a natural grass field. The modern turf looks better, plays better, maintains cheaper and easier and doesn't contribute to nearly loosing to a non-scholarship football program.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not to beat a dead horse, but that sumbich needs kicked one more time.

I really don't understand why any institution with the funds would have a natural grass field. The modern turf looks better, plays better, maintains cheaper and easier and doesn't contribute to nearly loosing to a non-scholarship football program.

I would bet good money that MAF@JTS will have turf in the next 4-5 years. Honestly, I can see the Big 12 really pushing us to do it.

JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
My contribution:

During their playing days Hurl Beechum was more attractive than Fred Hoiberg.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This would require going to school out of state since every school in Iowa is that and the whole state is small town culture including the 'metro' areas.

That's not a bad thing, just what you get no matter where you are.

Maybe. I'm speaking relatively, of course. We're all from Iowa, but the University of Iowa is not small-town culture. The Des Moines metro can be, but it depends. I went to a larger high school in the Des Moines area. I was shocked to find that cowboy boots were acceptable attire for many students at ISU. I'm not saying I was expecting NYC, but the volume of country bumpkins at ISU threw me off.

ISU is a big school. You can find your pocket. I was just surprised. But then again, it is an ag school. I let my loyalty to the sports team cloud my college choice.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Maybe. I'm speaking relatively, of course. We're all from Iowa, but the University of Iowa is not small-town culture. The Des Moines metro can be, but it depends. I went to a larger high school in the Des Moines area. I was shocked to find that cowboy boots were acceptable attire for many students at ISU. I'm not saying I was expecting NYC, but the volume of country bumpkins at ISU threw me off.

ISU is a big school. You can find your pocket. I was just surprised. But then again, it is an ag school. I let my loyalty to the sports team cloud my college choice.

I hailed from the metro as well.

The ag students/farm kids wearing boots and what not didn’t bug me. I did get a kick out of the kids who didn’t come from a small town or not in an ag program that were only wearing them because they thought it was fashionable. Part of the point of college is finding out who you really are.

It did seem like the ag students stayed with their own crowd more than other students. Which did happen with engineering, but I still met and knew a lot of people from liberal arts, business, etc.

Enjoyed my time at ISU and met some great people. Wouldn’t trade my experience, but it’s fun to play the what if game from time to time

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do not regret ISU for a second -- even if I could have "aimed higher."

The value proposition (or at least in the late 2000s decade) for ISU was incredible. I made it through four years for what some people (and particularly out here on the East Coast) pay for a single semester and made money, on net, in graduate school.

The first job I found out of Iowa State was mediocre, but I was on the ladder, worked my way up, and the second one I found through my first one is pretty awesome.

The arbitrage opportunity of cheap/debt-free Midwestern college into an East Coast salary has been great. I would recommend it to absolutely anybody. :)

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah, I get that aspect of it.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it feels like everywhere I go in Iowa, it seems everyone knows everyone in that respect of the small town culture. IC and DM may have a bit more urban feel, but not astronomically different.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
2013....I don't know if that was really the time anyway since ISU was at least .500 in 2012. It was and is easy to say he should have been let go earlier, but really it makes sense that 2015 was the last stance and the KSU game sealed the deal.

Who would have been available after the 2013 or 2014 seasons anyway? Mack Brown?
They were 6-7 in 2012 and got absolutely punked by Tulsa in the bowl game, the same team they actually beat to open the season....they went 2-10, with a 63 point loss to Baylor and an absolute curb stomping by UNI. Color me a cynic but a string of 4 years of 5-7, 2 consecutive 6-7 campaigns and 2-10, doesn’t exactly show positive momentum.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They were 6-7 in 2012 and got absolutely punked by Tulsa in the bowl game, the same team they actually beat to open the season....they went 2-10, with a 63 point loss to Baylor and an absolute curb stomping by UNI. Color me a cynic but a string of 4 years of 5-7, 2 consecutive 6-7 campaigns and 2-10, doesn’t exactly show positive momentum.

That's not a bad stretch for ISU's history.

You forgot to mention the 7-6 first season, and many wins that stuck out in those .500ish season that were very unusual for ISU, including OSU '11 etc. Pretty sure from 2010-12 fans were afraid he was going to leave due to those kinds of successes.

I'll meet in the middle and give it 2014 season though. That was brutal.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
That's not a bad stretch for ISU's history.

You forgot to mention the 7-6 first season, and many wins that stuck out in those .500ish season that were very unusual for ISU, including OSU '11 etc. Pretty sure from 2010-12 fans were afraid he was going to leave due to those kinds of successes.

I'll meet in the middle and give it 2014 season though. That was brutal.
That 7-6 year was an outlier with a horrendous schedule sans Texas/Oklahoma and really only had two wins of note against a good team and an Eric Decker-less Minnesota squad in the bowl game....but for all of those great wins, it created almost negative momentum. Rhoads invented new ways each time to lose to kstate, got 66 put on him by Utah, lost to woebegone Kansas squads, uni, North Dakota state...After 2010, i was more than ready to see him off to Pitt and then after 2012, to Wisconsin...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That 7-6 year was an outlier with a horrendous schedule sans Texas/Oklahoma and really only had two wins of note against a good team and an Eric Decker-less Minnesota squad in the bowl game....but for all of those great wins, it created almost negative momentum. Rhoads invented new ways each time to lose to kstate, got 66 put on him by Utah, lost to woebegone Kansas squads, uni, North Dakota state...After 2010, i was more than ready to see him off to Pitt and then after 2012, to Wisconsin...

Ok.

Reactions: bostrem00