Friday OT: Bring Out Your Dad

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
If you can't pay for it (every day items, wants) in cash, you don't need it that bad.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
"Turn the bleeping lights on. Can't see a damn thing in here."

The garage, the basement, the kitchen, the living room, wherever. 65 years later and the house is always lit up light a Christmas tree. He would chuck flashlights under a car I was working on even if I already had one.

"That wouldn't have happened if you were wearing your bleeping shoes."

I've definitely inherited that one. The wife insists on doing physical chores wearing flip flops. Constantly stubbing her toe, kicking something, dropping something on her foot. I wear shoes from the moment I get out of the shower in the morning until it's time to hit the sack.

Your dad wants to turn lights on??? My dad gets pissed if there are lights on in a room we aren't using. Heaven forbid you leave a refrigerator door open for more than ten seconds...

My father isn't much for words of wisdom, but one of his favorite sayings is, "**** rolls down hill."

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Your dad wants to turn lights on??? My dad gets pissed if there are lights on in a room we aren't using. Heaven forbid you leave a refrigerator door open for more than ten seconds...

My father isn't much for words of wisdom, but one of his favorite sayings is, "**** rolls down hill."

He does shut them off when he goes to bed. Other than that, all lights on, all the time. How are you supposed to see what you're working on if you don't have any lights on? I could have baked cookies under the lights in our garage. We had lights hanging from other lights. Our barn was about ready to fall down (and since has crumbled and been destroyed), had virtually nothing inside that was of use, but had 10,000 watts of light bulbs strung up. Not sure how it didn't burn down.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Regarding corporations/companies/people you work for, 'screw them before they screw you.'

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
He does shut them off when he goes to bed. Other than that, all lights on, all the time. How are you supposed to see what you're working on if you don't have any lights on? I could have baked cookies under the lights in our garage. We had lights hanging from other lights. Our barn was about ready to fall down (and since has crumbled and been destroyed), had virtually nothing inside that was of use, but had 10,000 watts of light bulbs strung up. Not sure how it didn't burn down.

Is your dad Clark Griswold?

tenor.gif

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean

Marti4Cy

May 17, 2008
Des Moines
My dad (83) always told me "I'm the best girl he's got". Of course, I am the only girl.

He also will say when someone is leaving, "Drive fast so you aren't on the road long", and I find myself saying that sometimes.

My parents have been married almost 64 years, and he says 64 good years, a few bad days.

Reactions: NWICY

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
And his road rage came out in the form of a single hard pound on the top of the steering wheel and a loud bellowing "I'LL RAM THE FOOL!!!" Which he, of course, never did.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He would look around at the other cars/drivers and ask, "Why don't some of these people just STAY HOME?!?!"

My dad made a similar comment when we were trying to find a space at a busy parking lot. "Why are all these people shopping on a day like this?"

Another of his parking-lot go-to's (I still frequently use this quip). "Remember, we're parked next to that blue van."

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My dad made a similar comment when we were trying to find a space at a busy parking lot. "Why are all these people shopping on a day like this?"

Another of his parking-lot go-to's (I still frequently use this quip). "Remember, we're parked next to that blue van."

Like me joking at an ISU game. "I'm sure I can find you, you're the one wearing the red shirt."

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Although my dad was big on promptness (such as "Don't keep people waiting") he could take the opposite view when there's no urgency or doesn't directly depend on my presence.

"What's the big rush? Got a hot date?"

If I was in a hurry to finish something in time to watch a sporting event on TV: "The game will start without you."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Whenever you'd say "I think that ..." his response is a guaranteed
"What you think don't amount ot a damn, it's what you know that counts"

Also, and this is unique to my dad (I think lol). Whenever he gets kinda surprised by something he is handling, and starts fumbling with it, trying not to drop it --

"Hot! Buttered! Sh**!"

with Kirk-like pauses between the words.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Every once in a while, when seeing entire house lit up when coming home. He would come in and say "(Insert electric company here) called and wanted to thank us for our support"

• Funny
Reactions: oldman and CYCLNST8

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
"I'm gonna go across the street and ask the neighbor how much his tree cost."

or

"I'm gonna go uptown and get some bolts"

These or some other lame excuse were usually uttered on a Saturday morning, right before he left the house in our small town and walked uptown to the bar, where he would stay all day and night and only return shortly after 2 a.m. If you stayed up that late, or you heard him walking home, you could usually follow his progress down our road and count the number of times he fell down. It was kind of a game we played.

He never said much to us kids during his life. But when he had a snoot full, he liked to sing in Japanese.

It was because of this upbringing that I vowed my children would never see me drunk. And they haven't. I think that's probably a good philosophy for any parent.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When somebody would cut my dad off in traffic, he would say, "If we would have been in the old green Ford (F-250), we would have showed him". My version is, "If we would have been in my dad's old green Ford, we would have showed him"...

Help Support Us

Become a patron