Iowa Football Recruiting

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Wait, do ISU fans actually believe the Cyclones had a better season than the Hawks?

Iowa finished the season ranked* and won* the game head to head so I would say no. I think ISU was the best team in the state but the asterisks don't lie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree, but Iowa had the better season and head to head was part of it.
I'm not really disagreeing but you get the bowl point right? There is a significant difference between playing Wazzu and Miss St. Wazzu had a legit claim to a New Years 6 game.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The west is going to be good this year.
CHI_TC_Pillow_Fight_1440x823_001.jpg

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I'm not really disagreeing but you get the bowl point right? There is a significant difference between playing Wazzu and Miss St. Wazzu had a legit claim to a New Years 6 game.

No I don't. I don't think the teams were that far off from each other overall. MSU finished #8 in the final Sagarins ratings and WSU finished #20. Now that doesn't mean that I think one was better than the other, but I think the two were pretty comparable even with their drastic difference in styles of play.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Minnesota and Fleck sucks, Nebraska has won 8 games in the last 2 years combined, Purdue had a losing record last year, Illinois is straight garbage and Northwestern lost 5 games last year but yet still won the West by 3 games. Lol that's just crazy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No I don't. I don't think the teams were that far off from each other overall. MSU finished #8 in the final Sagarins ratings and WSU finished #20. Now that doesn't mean that I think one was better than the other, but I think the two were pretty comparable even with their drastic difference in styles of play.
Sagarin has Iowa at the 10 spot and NW at 32. That seems pretty flawed don't you think?

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Northwestern finished behind Oklahoma State in Sagarin and won the Big Ten West by 3 games!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Wait, do ISU fans actually believe the Cyclones had a better season than the Hawks?

When you factor in things like SOS, preseason expectations, outsider impressions, etc., yeah, I think ISU had a better season. If you want to point at strictly number of wins, then no, but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

There's this pretty cool website that looks at different advanced stats and is relevant to this discussion. ISU outperforms Iowa in every category.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/college-football/2018/schedule-strength-college-football

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Sagarin has Iowa at the 10 spot and NW at 32. That seems pretty flawed don't you think?

NW started the year terribly. They got better as the year wore on. They had some really bad OOC losses. But they were better than Iowa by the end of the year. But as you said., you have to take the entire year into context.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
When you factor in things like SOS, preseason expectations, outsider impressions, etc., yeah, I think ISU had a better season. If you want to point at strictly number of wins, then no, but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

What about when you add in being higher ranked and winning H2H?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
NW started the year terribly. They got better as the year wore on. They had some really bad OOC losses. But they were better than Iowa by the end of the year. But as you said., you have to take the entire year into context.

It's weird they were terrible out of conference but dominated the Big Ten West. I wonder why

• Funny
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
What about when you add in being higher ranked and winning H2H?

Head-to-head is a small piece of the pie, unless you consider all the previous crappy ISU teams beating Iowa. Do those wins negate Iowa's clearly better seasons? I suggest you take a look at the link I added to my OP as well.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Only Buddy made reference to Sagarin like he was a god. Now I see you in a whole different light. Thinker=YeahBuddy=iahawks?? Say it ain't so!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron